DRAM Class Action Lawsuit?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
I think it's legit - I got another 'IMPORTANT COURT DOCUMENT' from the same Rust Consulting in the mail a few days ago.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: lozina
I got an e-mail about participating in a DRAM class action lawsuit but I am wondering if it's some kind of scam because doing a search here I dont see any other threads about it- surely someone else would have posted about this?

http://www.dramantitrustsettlement.com/dram/default.htm

so let me get this correct....
If there are no threads about said subject here on Anand`s site then it surely must be a hoax????

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: lozina
I got an e-mail about participating in a DRAM class action lawsuit but I am wondering if it's some kind of scam because doing a search here I dont see any other threads about it- surely someone else would have posted about this?

http://www.dramantitrustsettlement.com/dram/default.htm

so let me get this correct....
If there are no threads about said subject here on Anand`s site then it surely must be a hoax????

Huh? I thought it was the other way about. If it's posted here, it's a hoax.

;)

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Every time that there's a change in memory technology, temporary shortages develop of both the old and the new technology. And there's a Class Action Lawsuit for price fixing.

It takes years for discovery and for the hearing. When the settlement is reached, nobody gets anything. Except for the lawyers.

Finally, the claim form only covers DIRECT purchases from the manufacturers. The only one listed that'd be relevant to consumers is Micron (Crucial), if you bought directly from Cruicial.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It is real - not a hoax. I bought a pair of SODIMMs direct from Crucial for my HP laptop about a year ago. But, I trashed the DRAM C/A message because I don't see that the potiential recompense is worth the risk. I did not have a problem with the Crucial memory or the price - and I have little tolerance for lawsuits. Basically these actions only benefit a bunch of lawyers.

DRAM

Snooper

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: corkyg
I did not have a problem with the Crucial memory or the price - and I have little tolerance for lawsuits. Basically these actions only benefit a bunch of lawyers.

DRAM

AMEN!!!!

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I've been a valid class member of a half-dozen class action settlements in the past few years; Western Digital, Belkin, VistaPrint, Epson, and a few others I can't remember. The Belkin settlement was potentially the best compensation; up to two full refunds with proof of purchase or 50% off the purchase price of up to three Belkin products without proof of purchase.

I've never filed the forms for a single one of them, because I strongly disagreed with the basis of these frivolous actions. Most were brought by ignorant consumers who were "mislead" only due to their own ignorance, or just opportunistic lawsuits by consumers who knew better but wanted to exploit the system by seizing upon the slightest deviation from advertised specs.

e.g. Belkin was sued because the actual 'real world' speeds of various networking products were less than the advertised maximum. Duh! What informed consumer does not know that maximum published speeds of any bus or interface are only theoretical or attainable in the most optimal conditions rarely found in the real world?

We could sue every computer company, component manufacturer, and chipset vendor for 'false' and 'misleading' advertising because we never got 133MB/sec from the PCI Bus. Same goes for UDMA-33/66/100/133, USB1.1, USB2.0, SATA 1.5Mbps, SATA 3Mbps, dial-up and broadband internet access, and numerous other busses or interfaces.

Companies cannot rationally be expected to advertise products so that every conceivable caveat, exception, or risk will be known to the lowest common denominator among consumers. Otherwise, every single consumer product on the market would have a requirement that the consumer complete a three-day seminar before the product can be placed into use.

I can see the activation schemes now..."please provide your certification code that you received upon successful completion of the required three-day consumer education course for your Sharpie pen. This completion code will allow you to unlock the $300 tamper-resistant device encasing your $2.00 product, which has a final retail price of $2000 due to the costs of producing and conducting comprehensive consumer education courses for each of our consumer products."

vanvock

Jan 1, 2005
I got some backup software from Western Digital but that's about as good as it gets. Usually the lawyers get a few million dollars & the consumers get a coupon for a Snickers bar.