DRAM Antitrust Settlement -- Dd you buy RAM between 4/1/99 - 6/30/2002?

Raiden256

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2001
Text

Just got my second notice. Wondering how they even have my name. I'm sure if I can find some RAM receipts I'll get like $2-3 in 2010.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yep. I've gotten a couple of them. Everyone here dubunked it as phony when it first came out...time will tell. If you bought RAM from someplace that took your name, (on-line seller, etc.) they got your name that way. I bought several sticks from Crucial a couple years back, and some Mushkin from a different seller. We'll see how much we actually get as compared to the thieves...I mean liars...I mean lawyers...

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Raiden256
Text

Just got my second notice. Wondering how they even have my name. I'm sure if I can find some RAM receipts I'll get like $2-3 in 2010.
Bah! I have yet to see the $100 IBM/Hitachi owes me for the dead Deskstar hdd.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Latest one I got came yesterday. I love the lawyers payment. Man they have it so hard.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
good god, have fun diggingup reciepts from 99:(

Yea same here for me. Who has kept reciepts that long for memory that no one has probably used in 4 years or so. I got the notice and laughed. Its a joke.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I'm sure I did but there is no way I still have any of the receipts.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I got two of them today. Oddly, I'm not sure how they got my address, as I have moved since my previous purchase from Crucial (circa 2001).

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I bought memory from Kingston during this period, but it doesnt look like they are part of the settlement

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: classy
good god, have fun diggingup reciepts from 99:(

Yea same here for me. Who has kept reciepts that long for memory that no one has probably used in 4 years or so. I got the notice and laughed. Its a joke.

Indeed. The lawyers are going to get the entire claim because no one has their receipts...
:)
That's a sweet deal for them.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i've gotten it.

if you read the notice the lawyers are asking for 25% of the $325 million recovery. so about $80 million. the rest of it is for the class and class representatives (who are usually friends/employees of the lawyers). the reps will get $10,000 each, and then the rest is split amongst the class (probably based on the number of receipts/quantity of ram you bought, but who knows). of course, overhead for processing all the receipts/payouts will come from the class's share.

imported_weadjust

Golden Member
Apr 23, 2004
Got another notice today wanting to know dollar amount of DRAM purchased from 1999 - 2002. Two sticks with no reciepts.

The settlement fund will be distributed to class members based upon the pro rata share of the total amount of DRAM that each class member purchased from the defendants.

What a joke. I should put $999,999,999 just to give the lawyers something to do.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Received my claim form today. Claim must be submitted by end of this year and can be completed online. I probably made 3+ purchases of Crucial memory and will have to dig thru CC statements if they require verification. I figure they will for all claims or only for those with large claims.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Got another notice also. All the ram I bought back then is long gone (less than 10 sticks), as well as any receipts.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: sao123
I bought memory from Kingston during this period, but it doesnt look like they are part of the settlement

You need to know the chip that Kingston used. For example, my memory was Mushkin and they used Infineon chips.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Man... class action lawsuits are a total scam. The plaintiffs might get $5 back, while the lawyers get millions :|

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
You guys are ridiculous. I was actually contacted by a lawyer I've done computer work for about this, as he does class action lawsuits. He wanted to know if I could be a class representative for my state. Unfortunately, I'm a fatwallet-er so I don't think I've *ever* bought RAM directly from a manufacturer.

You guys will be getting far more than 5 dollars for this. Here's the really sweet deal - if you become the class representative for your state, depending on how much "work" you do (as in, sitting in the lawyer's office) you'll get quite a bit of money. He said it's generally something like 10k for 10 hours of work. Not bad :) I wouldn't blame it on the lawyers though - this guy does class action lawsuits as a major part of his job, and as far as I could tell (I'd been to his house and everything) he wasn't all that rich. Especially for our area.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Auryg
You guys are ridiculous. I was actually contacted by a lawyer I've done computer work for about this, as he does class action lawsuits. He wanted to know if I could be a class representative for my state. Unfortunately, I'm a fatwallet-er so I don't think I've *ever* bought RAM directly from a manufacturer.

You guys will be getting far more than 5 dollars for this. Here's the really sweet deal - if you become the class representative for your state, depending on how much "work" you do (as in, sitting in the lawyer's office) you'll get quite a bit of money. He said it's generally something like 10k for 10 hours of work. Not bad :) I wouldn't blame it on the lawyers though - this guy does class action lawsuits as a major part of his job, and as far as I could tell (I'd been to his house and everything) he wasn't all that rich. Especially for our area.

He's probably not rich because he called you instead of putting back into an "good ole boy" network.

Unless, you are a good ole boy...

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: classy
<blockquote>quote:
good god, have fun diggingup reciepts from 99:(</blockquote>

Same here. When they asked for reciepts I just laughed. Yea like I kept reciepts from 6-7 years ago. Such a scam.

aldamon

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Crap, I thought I had bought some Winbond DDR in 2002, but it was in 2003 according to my order history at Newegg. Mushkin's not on the list. I bought some Crucial sticks at Best Buy but it was at the B&M and I don't have the receipts. Guess I can't file :(

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I've received two of the notices. Unfortunately, I build my own PCs and tend to buy several parts at one time to save on shipping and there's no way to figure out how much was for memory and how much was for other stuff.

Dave

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I got 2 letters then just last week I got the claim form that wanted reciepts etc. I stared at it for quite some time deciding do I wanna fill out some random number. In the end like the other 2 letters I just chucked it cause I have ZERO clue how much ram I bought back then and like everyone else I dont have reciepts.