Dragon Age 2 on GameFly for $5?

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Ok...loved DAO...and know DA2 is nothing like it's older brother but for $5, would you buy it?

I'm looking for a cool action/RPG game that will last me some time before GW2 and Dar Souls on PC...

For those you played it to the end, is $5 a good price?

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
it's not "horribad" per se...it can be enojoyable but it simply isnt the party based fantasy RPG you'd think it would be. it's more of an action hack'n'slasher with conversation options.

maybe i'm being too harsh. i change my opinion of it's worth to 10$.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Dragon Age Origins was one of the best single player story experiences I had in the last decade. I would not play DA2 even if it was free.

There was a demo when it was first released, if you can find it knocking around give it a try first so you can at least let yourself know what you are in for.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
DA2 was pretty bad, but for 5 bucks, I'd pick it up. Especially if you're a DA fan.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
$5 is a pretty good deal. I still give it a nod for the graphics and 'exciting combat'.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Ok...loved DAO...and know DA2 is nothing like it's older brother but for $5, would you buy it?

I'm looking for a cool action/RPG game that will last me some time before GW2 and Dar Souls on PC...

For those you played it to the end, is $5 a good price?

I'm not gonna argue, it has a lesser scope than DAO. But am only one who found it good?

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Dragon Age Origins was one of the best single player story experiences I had in the last decade. I would not play DA2 even if it was free.

There was a demo when it was first released, if you can find it knocking around give it a try first so you can at least let yourself know what you are in for.

I still don't know why this meme keeps going around. DA:O was not that great. It had a really lame main story line (even worse than NWN 1), no itemization, and very superficial customization. The combat was repetitive with the exact same enemies and battles in every single encounter, and was quite easy with the right set up. The dialogue was the only good part really. It was pretty good but no way does it come anywhere near the old school RPG's. NWN:2 was much better in pretty much every regard, it only god bad reviews because it was buggy on release.

Anyway, as for DA:2, it was not bad. It was basically like a fantasy version of mass effect. I thought the combat was much improved, and it had some really challenging bosses. The itemization was still crap, but there was a little more room for customization. The dialogue was good as well. The main drawback of DA:2 was that there is no real main plot, just 3 main subquests essentially. The big gripe though is that every quest in the game takes place in the same three maps and it gets old real fast.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Anyways...Gamefly need me to contact them lol...problem with my $5 order!
F them, first time it happened.
I'll get it by other means.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I dunno, I just couldn't get over the phasing combat (my people would be teleporting around the battlefield when they used their special attacks), enemies spawning out of the ground and air (killed any semblance of tactical placement), people exploding into blood (as if they were vampires straight out of True Blood), less customization (your companions look the same no matter what armor you give them), the same goddamn maps over and over (and yet they were too lazy to update the minimaps), a really poor plot, uninteresting companions, a completely unnecessary art style change (DA1 looked so much better and more 'authentic'). On top of all that, it had more bugs than the first one (in my experience).

Dragon Age 1 was pre-EA. Dragon Age 2 was post-EA.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Amazon had recently had a Dragon Age pack on sale for $9.99 (DA:O, Awakening, All DLC, DA2).

I'm sure they'll have that again.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I still don't know why this meme keeps going around. DA:O was not that great. It had a really lame main story line (even worse than NWN 1), no itemization, and very superficial customization. The combat was repetitive with the exact same enemies and battles in every single encounter, and was quite easy with the right set up. The dialogue was the only good part really. It was pretty good but no way does it come anywhere near the old school RPG's. NWN:2 was much better in pretty much every regard, it only god bad reviews because it was buggy on release.

Anyway, as for DA:2, it was not bad. It was basically like a fantasy version of mass effect. I thought the combat was much improved, and it had some really challenging bosses. The itemization was still crap, but there was a little more room for customization. The dialogue was good as well. The main drawback of DA:2 was that there is no real main plot, just 3 main subquests essentially. The big gripe though is that every quest in the game takes place in the same three maps and it gets old real fast.

In your opinion maybe not but I really enjoyed it.

Story line might be a bit clichéd - evil returnz and so on but what did it for me was how it made me feel like I was connected to my party and involved in an epic adventure. It also felt well crafted and you could tell a lot of work was put into it, a quality product for which I appreciate such things. I also enjoyed the combat and I found it fairly tactical and challenging.

I tried to get on with NWN 2 but found the camera's too awkward to work with constantly having to switch. I am not questioning the amount of depth it offers as an RPG though as there is certainly more on offer there than DA:O but that does not make it a superior game but I guess it depends on what you want out of it.

Speaking of old-skool RPG's I am going back to Fallout 1 at the weekend on my laptop while I am away. My last experience with this was really engrossing but I ended up breaking the game slightly.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

To each their own. In my opinion, the combat was significantly worse in almost every single way. Total lack of any tactical merit what so ever. And it was way more toonie than it needed to be (bodies exploding etc..).

As for 'Tough bosses', my experience in playing the game, their concession to making boss battles tough was to give them bajillions of hit points. Giving them massive over-powered attacks and limiting your ability to heal yourself. there was absolutely nothing new about combating them vs any other enemy you faced in the game. So more rinse, lather repeat. Pretty much what they did with the entire game.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
DA2 is a piece of garbage, my free time is way more valuable than to sink it into that turd. Unfortunately, I did finally end up beating the game just to see if there was actually any pay off at the end. There wasn't, the story line ended up being a complete joke (surprise, surprise) with more Mages vs. Templar buffoonery.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Not worth it to me. I don't like supporting crappy games or developers (EA) regardless of the cost (and this was a really shitty game).

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
As someone who detests DA2 on every level imaginable, I have to say you might as well go for it. Maybe you end up hating it, but if you get any enjoyment out of it at all then its worth the money. Personally, I wouldn't pay $1 for it, because I wouldn't play it at all, but thats just me.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Honestly, I wouldn't even recommend it for $5. Sure, you'll get more than 5 hours out of it, but if you are like me, you'll just walk away with bitter regret at having to sit through such a crappy, rushed game.

Sure the regret will be small ($5), but still there.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Honestly, I wouldn't even recommend it for $5. Sure, you'll get more than 5 hours out of it, but if you are like me, you'll just walk away with bitter regret at having to sit through such a crappy, rushed game.

Sure the regret will be small ($5), but still there.

Kind of this.

If you liked DAO at all, this will be such a horrendous let down. The combat is less. The repetition is so blatant as to be annoying. The changes in art direction were completely unnecessary. The story is a total let down. All of the customization was removed from the game. And the list goes on and on.

So again, if you liked DA:O, don't waste the $5 on this game. There are a lot better games out there. or simply better ways to spend that money.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
At this price, you got nothing to lose. While it is true that DA2 is no match for DA, it still is a fun game if you don't take it too seriously, and play in spurts when you got nothing else to play.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Actually, the first Act of this game is fun enough. For $5 it's totally worth playing through the first Act. Is it great? No, not even close. But it's decent and there are some memorable characters (Merrill, Isabella... though I'm not sure you can recruit her in Act 1).

Act 2 becomes ostensibly offensive as you progress, especially the quest involving Hawke's mother. It was around the middle of Act 2 that I took about an 8 month long break from the game, and after I came back I took another 6 month break after finally beating Act 2. The game is bad, and I loved DA:O. Act 3 is just more of the same schlock-y nonsense you got desensitized to in Act 2.

Bottom line is, even for the low price of free it's just not worth the investment of your free time. It's 40-50 hours to completion...

Last edited:

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i had some fun doing side quests and getting the best items. there are some pretty tough bosses if you look for them.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
At this price, you got nothing to lose. While it is true that DA2 is no match for DA, it still is a fun game if you don't take it too seriously, and play in spurts when you got nothing else to play.

I think the point is that it not only costs the $5, but also the time invested in the game. And there are more fun and cheaper ways to spend that time (IMHO).

The Night Fox

Jul 17, 2012
I'm a long time lurker on these forums and I made an account just to tell you that it's definitely worth picking up for $5!