Dr. Who Season 11

Does it suck?

• Total voters

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
It's not a female doctor, it's just not much in the way of Sci-Fi. Rosa Parks? Pakistan-India conflicts, Amazon? Seriously?

A being that can go to all times and all places and it's social justice on Earth, entertaining our vanity and self-importance. Once more humanity becomes the center of the universe. Boring.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't know, haven't watched it since Tom Baker. It's a kids' show, I don't really get why adults watch it (unless it's with their own children, which is a valid excuse). Though I admit I'm pleased the reboot has mostly gone well, as I have fond memories of it from when I was a child. I would probably have started watching again if Peter Capaldi had played him as a time-travelling Malcolm Tucker. Missed opportunity.

Actually, come to think of it, even back then I preferred it when it regularly featured Earth-bound (actually, probably mostly SE-England-bound) recognisable locations. It became harder to care about when with Peter Davison it took to randomly wandering around an entirely-made-up universe featuring the planet-of-the-week. So if the Doctor has become more of a homeboy (er...homegirl) again that sounds good to me.

Reactions: DigDog

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
it's not that it sucks, it's that it is trying overly hard to not suck that it ends up being bland.

with the first female doctor they have a huge sword of damocles hanging overhead, such that they dont want to risk being the ones who kill off the reboot. [bbc is always ready to kill a series that cant deliver the viewer numbers or cut its production budget at least]. so instead of going somewhere new/exciting/fresh/different and risk alienating the old fans they are being very safe with the storylines.

if the 13th doctor had been a man, Chibnal the showrunner would have been free to do whatever take he wanted (as bold as Moffat was with Matt Smith and the whole fairy tale spin of series5). but with series 11 they have barely defined who the doctor is. she has probably had less screen time in her first 7 episodes than any other doctor in their first season. Chibnal has spent way more time developing the companions than her. it may give them more time to decide how they want to go with the new doctor's character but it makes it difficult to feel anything good or bad given how little she's actually done in any given episode. typically the doctor who leads the companions, but in most scenes so far it is the companions driving the action forward.

by the 6th or 7th episodes of Smith or Capaldi's first season, you knew who they were. 11 was goofy manchild with occasional dips into the angry old man inside when it came time for a rant. 12 was the sterner grizzled manipulator trying to re-assess in the wake of getting 12 more regenerations. whether you liked or hated the new doctor, at least you had seen something to motivate that reaction. so far we have very little of Whittaker's doctor to base any response on.

the stories so far have been very traditional who scenarios, so much so that reviewers have been pointing back to older episodes that did it better. I am not familiar with Chibnal's other writing projects but he cant get away with not defining who or what the new doctor is for his run.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I actually like this season. I was getting a bit sick of the huge universe saving story arcs that were happening all the time in the previous few seasons.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've only watched the first episode of this new season so I don't have an opinion on the new writer or doctor. I do know that Capaldi was misunderstood and given crappy stories. He was excellent as the doctor if you compared him to the OLD doctors. Problem is in today's world you have to have young and pretty as your star. You see this happen over the course of the new series ending with Matt Smith. It made complete story sense to go to an old curmudgeon doctor, but it was too much of a jar for new viewers.

What I do know is that to date Torchwood Season 3 is far better than 90% of Doctor Who.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I’ve tried to watch Dr. Who several times over the decades...going back into the 1970s. I just haven’t been able to get into it. I was surprised that I liked Torchwood so much. THAT show I really liked...in spite of gay Jack. That got to be a turn off for me, especially in the Miracle Day episodes.