Dr. Tom goes berzerk!!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Has anyone else here read the latest "Tom's Blurb" on tomshardware.com? He goes ballistic, throwing shots at Kyle Bennet and at some guy who used to work for him. He later works himself into a frenzy about conspiracies about BapCo and something about ATi cheating in some Quake 3 benchmarks. I found it an amusing read. Any comments?

Priit

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2000
Dunno, Tom might actually be right about some things he writes. I don't like he's attlitute and self-promoting tone thought...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
rolleye.gif

Should we pity the guy for his success?

ElDonAntonio

Aug 4, 2001
I don't see what's wrong with that article. I don't regularly visit Tom's Hardware but he seems like a straight and honest guy.
He's not inventing anything in that article, he's quoting.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
You can accuse Tom of all you want, but one thing I wouldn't accuse him of is being a liar. If he makes claims like these, they are most likely true. I would certainly believe what he says before I would believe anything Kyle or Van said.

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
I dont see the parallel between the Quake/Quack situation and the BapCo situation. I think thats a big stretch, espicially since it was easily proven that ATI was flat out cheating in a popular benchmark, but the BapCO situation is still very unresolved in my book. Who knows, maybe they simply readjusted because the older version was favoring AMD chips to heavily? Theres no real proof either way at this point. Either way, Tom needs to lay off the personal comments about others in the comunity if he wants any of my respect.

Kramer

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: SexyK
Either way, Tom needs to lay off the personal comments about others in the comunity if he wants any of my respect.

Kramer

I completely agree. I like his work, his benchmarks, and reviews. But his comments about others is unneccessary.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I didn't find anything wrong with that article. To me he seems like a straight-up and honest guy who is trying to explain some of the things that happened behind the scenes. While I don't agree with all of his comments (for example criticising [K]yle for discussing the Quack issue) I still admire Tom's honesty.

He goes ballistic, throwing shots at Kyle Bennet and at some guy who used to work for him. He later works himself into a frenzy about conspiracies about BapCo and something about ATi cheating in some Quake 3 benchmarks.
You clearly don't have a clue about those events and what really happened, nor do you appear to have understood the article properly.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
I didn't find anything wrong with that article. To me he seems like a straight-up and honest guy who is trying to explain some of the things that happened behind the scenes. While I don't agree with all of his comments (for example criticising [K]yle for discussing the Quack issue) I still admire Tom's honesty.

Agreed

-Ice

andreasl

Aug 25, 2000
Am I the only one that would like to read those unpublished articles by Van Smith that Tom has archived? I think they would be great entertainment :)

Coolone

Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K

He goes ballistic, throwing shots at Kyle Bennet and at some guy who used to work for him. He later works himself into a frenzy about conspiracies about BapCo and something about ATi cheating in some Quake 3 benchmarks.
You clearly don't have a clue about those events and what really happened, nor do you appear to have understood the article properly.

I mostly agree, i think tom made some very good points

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Little does Tom realize though. is that his site needs his articles. Tomshardware without him is about as exciting as a mashed potato sandwich!!

When Tom was active participating towards his own website, everyone whether they liked him or hated him always wanted to hear what he had to say. Now the site is just another average site without any attraction.

CrazySaint

Platinum Member
May 3, 2002
I have to agree...while I don't much care for the insults or self-promotion, I can't see what was so wrong about the article, and think he actually brought up some good points. However, I still don't put *too* much stock in the hardware reviews at his site, largely due to their varying degrees of quality and accuracy.

xylem

Jan 18, 2001
I liked the article quite a bit. I appreciate the fact that he takes time to give some perspective on a few issues and people, and not just crank out hardware reviews (which his site does with amazing regularity). Perhaps he is affirming that he is a thinking individual, and not a TOOL. Think about what he is saying about the internet... perhaps that it is turning into an ad-fest, and a medium for content that up until now most people have associated with television, radio, newspapers, and magazines, and as a result may ultimately be in danger of fierce regulation and censorship.

Of course, he may not be implying any of these things, but his article definitely made me think more than 99% of the other topics I could have been reading about.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
Spend 5 minutes on Vans site and especially his forums and you'll see he is a horribly biased AMD fantic (funny since I think he works for Centaur). And Kyle took the Parhelia bashing a bit far to be considered an trustworthy source. I think Tom is right on this one...