Dr. Paul has 93% favorability rating among Americans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you favor Ron Paul over Romney

• I find Ron Paul to be unfavorable

• I find Ron Paul to be favorable

Results are only viewable after voting.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
28tvo8.jpg

:awe:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
OP, since you keep posting this stuff, and have posted this repeatedly despite it being pointed out to you multiple times that online internet polls are often rigged, which leads to the same arguments over and over. Rather than simply lock the thread as being yet another thread about the same thing despite you being informed that this "thing" is faulty information, I thought I'd do you the favor of adding a poll here for you, so I could make that point differently. We'll see how this goes. -DrPizza (edit: I can and will report the actual results later; they're currently 7 unfavorable to 2 favorable.)
Good idea, but can you start a thread with a poll that would give Romney a favorable/unfavorable rating from ATers?

Edit: NM, I saw the poll question.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
OP, since you keep posting this stuff, and have posted this repeatedly despite it being pointed out to you multiple times that online internet polls are often rigged, which leads to the same arguments over and over. Rather than simply lock the thread as being yet another thread about the same thing despite you being informed that this "thing" is faulty information, I thought I'd do you the favor of adding a poll here for you, so I could make that point differently. We'll see how this goes. -DrPizza (edit: I can and will report the actual results later; they're currently 7 unfavorable to 2 favorable.)
I see some of what you did now.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I see some of what you did now.
Hopefully you see that most online polls are meaningless. Online voting for things "best costume", etc., generally come down to one thing: who stacked the votes in their favor more by appealing to friends to vote repeatedly. Incidentally, 12-20

Feb 6, 2007
Hopefully you see that most online polls are meaningless. Online voting for things "best costume", etc., generally come down to one thing: who stacked the votes in their favor more by appealing to friends to vote repeatedly. Incidentally, 12-20
This is the entire principle behind the Anandtech Effect. You ask people on the board to vote in whatever online poll you have going for someone you know and stack the voting so you or your friends win. I thought everyone knew this by now.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I guess so, but if the people really don't care about Romney and vote for him anyway, and they're able to outnumber Dr. Paul's (possibly) fewer and (definitely) more enthused supporters, then that's a problem with the system.

It would be a lot better if people who were more apathetic than not didn't vote.

Feb 6, 2007
I guess so, but if the people really don't care about Romney and vote for him anyway, and they're able to outnumber Dr. Paul's (possibly) fewer and (definitely) more enthused supporters, then that's a problem with the system.

It would be a lot better if people who were more apathetic than not didn't vote.
Do you actually think that 27,000+ people have voted in this poll? That's the whole thing with online polls; one person can manipulate the data by voting over and over, either through dummy accounts or simply by changing the values if they have access to it. If each Ron Paul supporter counts as 100+ people in every online poll because they manipulate the system and vote more than once, that doesn't make them "more enthused" than Romney supporters, it means that they're willing to go to greater lengths to game the system, including flat-out cheating to get the results they want.

Just face it, your guy isn't as popular as you wish he was. There's nothing wrong with that. Most liberals wish Obama was further left, most conservatives wish Romney was further right, and we end up with two centrist candidates because they represent the greatest compromise between opposing ideologies. It's not a perfect system, but the further out in the fringe you get, the less support you're going to have. That's how life works. Accept it and move on.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Do you actually think that 27,000+ people have voted in this poll?
No, I got the point that people can stuff the online polls. It still doesn't say exactly how much it's done. I suppose they could be stuffed be that much, but that doesn't mean that they are. Maybe only 45% of the people have a favorable view of him, but we don't know.

I still think the primaries have been at least somewhat rigged in Romney's favor and there are plenty of good reasons to think so. I realize that the evidence presented doesn't mean it happened, but there is too much evidence presented that suggest they aren't rigged at least somewhat.
It's not a perfect system, but the further out in the fringe you get, the less support you're going to have. That's how life works. Accept it and move on.
It's too hard for me to accept.:)

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The surest way to reduce the RP advantage in online polls is to provide as many safeguards as possible to block the use of IP randomizers and other techniques for casting multiple votes:

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=228010.0

I could monitor where hits were coming from. I could see that when a new poll was posted back during the 2008 campaign, it didn't take long for Ron Paul's online communities to take notice and instruct everyone to vote. This is by no means wrong, but, votes logged user IPs and other data, which allowed us to incorporate safeguards into the code of the poll to prevent individuals from repeatedly voting. The more safeguards in place, the less anomalous the results were," Margolis said, indicating Paul supporters' likelihood to spam polls when proper safeguards are not in place.

Jan 25, 2011
No, I got the point that people can stuff the online polls. It still doesn't say exactly how much it's done. I suppose they could be stuffed be that much, but that doesn't mean that they are. Maybe only 45% of the people have a favorable view of him, but we don't know.

I still think the primaries have been at least somewhat rigged in Romney's favor and there are plenty of good reasons to think so. I realize that the evidence presented doesn't mean it happened, but there is too much evidence presented that suggest they aren't rigged at least somewhat.It's too hard for me to accept.:)

If you want a clear example of online poll manipulation, spend a little time on FreeRepublic. You will see exactly the impact a few people can have on an online poll when they simply ask others to vote.

Edit: I take it back. No one should go there. Ever.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012

Actually, we do.

And bear in mind that most people don't really know much about Paul. If he had won the nomination and more people knew about his policies, his popularity would drop significantly.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000

In other words, your agenda trumps his. Specious black eye and credibility gap, like this forum doesn't have enough of them.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Owned by the Pizza Master.

In all seriousness, I think Ron Paul has legitimate points, but many of them would never feasibly work.

I like him better than Obama and Romney, but I really don't like any of them all that much in all honesty.

People who praise politicians give me a good laugh.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
In other words, your agenda trumps his. Specious black eye and credibility gap, like this forum doesn't have enough of them.

You are delusional if you think there is any agenda here. This isn't the first time the OP has made a thread based on online polling for popularity of Ron Paul, and in every thread, it's been pointed out that such polls are incredibly susceptible to manipulation. Rather than lock the thread as a repost of a topic brought up over and over, I attempted this to make the point.

I still think the primaries have been at least somewhat rigged in Romney's favor and there are plenty of good reasons to think so. I realize that the evidence presented doesn't mean it happened, but there is too much evidence presented that suggest they aren't rigged at least somewhat.
Then, you've missed the point. The primaries are one person = one vote. The online polling allows people to vote as often as they like. As the demographic who are enamored with Ron Paul tend to be much younger - e.g., more tech savvy, there is a higher number of people who would be capable of manipulating the data.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Then, you've missed the point. The primaries are one person = one vote. The online polling allows people to vote as often as they like. As the demographic who are enamored with Ron Paul tend to be much younger - e.g., more tech savvy, there is a higher number of people who would be capable of manipulating the data.
No, I didn't miss the point because the point was that online polls can be manipulated so they don't represent the general public and I realize that... however, the primaries can be rigged as well. Votes can be thrown out, certain machines can be defective, and all sorts of other shit can happen. I see no reason as to why voting would be legal if it changed anything. The state is armed to the teeth for a reason.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
there is no way anyone will be the favorite at that number.
Paul bots scream and accuse people of manipulating numbers to favor other candidates.
Yet they overlook obvious manipulation when if favors their guy.
Paul did not even get 90% in his home district.
From my observations, they encourage manipulation that favors Dr. Paul. The Paulisti get positively giddy when discussing the various ways they can manipulate caucus and state convention results to gain additional national delegates for their beloved OB.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
To paraphrase the late, great Roman Hruska:

There are a lot of apathetic people. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
No, I didn't miss the point because the point was that online polls can be manipulated so they don't represent the general public and I realize that... however, the primaries can be rigged as well. Votes can be thrown out, certain machines can be defective, and all sorts of other shit can happen. I see no reason as to why voting would be legal if it changed anything. The state is armed to the teeth for a reason.

There have been dozens of primaries, advance polls and exit polls. They ALL have shown consistent levels of support for Ron Paul.

Are you arguing that all of these have been faked in some gigantic conspiracy to suppress the candidacy of a man who said himself that he had no chance of winning and that he wasn't trying to win?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

so a Ron Paul supporter is going to use a rigged machine; but a non-Paul will use on the is correct.

Or are all the machines rigged as anti-Paul.

what you are trying to do is justify why Paul is not as popular as you feel he is.

If the man can not hit 70% in his home district; he does not have a shot at the nationals.

Feb 6, 2007
No, you still missed the point. The online polls can be manipulated very, very easily. DrPizza isn't armed to the teeth, and he still managed to manipulate an online poll. On simple online polls, I personally, using no tricks, can vote hundreds or thousands of times. On more complex polls, I can spoof my IP address and vote hundreds or thousands of times. I can get dozens of friends to do the same, and suddenly that poll result is rendered utterly useless. It is much, much harder to do that with an actual state-sanctioned primary ballot.

Which is more likely; that people manipulate online poll results using a variety of simple, proven techniques, or that there is a massive government conspiracy across every state to make Ron Paul get fewer votes in primary contests than he actually receives?