DPreview.com Forum: EOS-20D vs. EOS-5D

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
not too shocking. though for me the one advantage would be getting rid of the crop factor. other than that, it is pretty cool how the "lower end" dslr's put up a really good fight

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
For months I have been set on going Full-Frame with the next-gen version of the EOS-5D.
This DPreview.com Forum thread gives me some pause.

Save on the body spend more on the glass...

ummm, dpreview forum members are among the worst pixel peepers ever.
You should read the write-up a large format photographer wrote on the 5D.
Prints are also another way to show off the 5D's capabilities.
I have also noticed my 5D images needing less PP than my 30D, noise is way better...I don't care what review says what.
--edit--Here is the link. Refreshing to see write ups by pros rather then wannabe cnet gadget geeks.
Text

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Main advantages seem to be DOF, AOV and noise. Noise will probably be a non-issue compared to Canon next generation 1.6x. You need to determine if the upgrade is worth it to you. Personally, I'm not sure. I'd like to use my 24-105L with its proper AOV, since it makes it a better all-around lens.
However, I don't think I will consider a 5D until I can get my hand on one for ~$1500 or so.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: foghorn67
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
For months I have been set on going Full-Frame with the next-gen version of the EOS-5D.
This DPreview.com Forum thread gives me some pause.

Save on the body spend more on the glass...

ummm, dpreview forum members are among the worst pixel peepers ever.
You should read the write-up a large format photographer wrote on the 5D.
Prints are also another way to show off the 5D's capabilities.
I have also noticed my 5D images needing less PP than my 30D, noise is way better...I don't care what review says what.
--edit--Here is the link. Refreshing to see write ups by pros rather then wannabe cnet gadget geeks.
Text

Well written 'road test' of the 5D. His writing - and especially his concluding thoughts - remind me how silly all the frittering people do between Canon and Nikon, and moreso the difference between models. I'm still shooting with the original DRebel - would I like to move up? Absolutely. Are the shots that I'm taking today suffering because I don't have the camera & lenses I really want? I don't think so.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: DBL
Main advantages seem to be DOF, AOV and noise. Noise will probably be a non-issue compared to Canon next generation 1.6x. You need to determine if the upgrade is worth it to you. Personally, I'm not sure. I'd like to use my 24-105L with its proper AOV, since it makes it a better all-around lens.
However, I don't think I will consider a 5D until I can get my hand on one for ~$1500 or so.

Agreed. I'd love to have a FF DSLR but I'm not about to drop $2,500 on a camera body for it.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm perfectly happy with a cropped sensor. While there are advantages to FF, I don't see them as being so incredible as to justify paying the exceptional premium they require at this point. With the extra $1500 between the cost of a 20D/30D and the 5D, you can get one or even two very fine lenses. You'll still be using the lenses when the next greatest camera body emerges, though you might want to stick to EF lenses instead of EF-S if you are considering FF in the future. :)

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: AndrewR
I'm perfectly happy with a cropped sensor. While there are advantages to FF, I don't see them as being so incredible as to justify paying the exceptional premium they require at this point. With the extra $1500 between the cost of a 20D/30D and the 5D, you can get one or even two very fine lenses. You'll still be using the lenses when the next greatest camera body emerges, though you might want to stick to EF lenses instead of EF-S if you are considering FF in the future. :)

I'd never buy an EF-S lens.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

If I had a Canon, I wouldn't either. I can appreciate that people like that the EF-S lenses are small and light, but I really couldn't care less about that -- I want image quality and durability. I've been buying older Minolta lenses (mid-80s vintage), and these things are built like armored vehicles! Heavy, solid metal that just feels like quality, and they are perfect despite being 20 years old.

Care to guess what plastic lenses are going to look like after banging around for 20 years? Maybe if I still have my 18-70mm KM lens (KM's kit lens for my Maxxum) I'll be able to compare, but I suspect my kit lens will either be broken or sold while my current 20 year old lenses are still going strong.

Plus, there's the resale value, since you eliminate a portion of your potential buyers if you can only sell to someone with a cropped sensor.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003

Qft.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
This kind of topic has been beaten to death so many times! Either way, it has always come down to what features you need, as in what your print sizes generally are and customer base along with a person's style of shooting and general interests in photography. Sure, most people would love to have a large FF sensor, but there are others who enjoy the 1.6 crop to get that extra free reach. (ie: birding, field sports, etc)

JulesMaximus, I'm with you when you say you'd never buy an EF-S lens! :p I have a 300D right now, but am moving to a 1D series next year. (anticipating a 1D-MK2N successor) I shoot a wide variety of shots from sports to portraits and am also delving into weddings before this year's end.

Anyways, a 20D is no slouch, no matter how you slice it and dice it. The photographer always has and always will be the deciding factor on the quality of the image; not the camera body.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001

Why not? It's entirely possible that the future of pro-am (ala 20/30D), and even pro DSLRs will be 1.6x. EF-S lenses can pack in the same quality of glass for cheaper when they're made to suit that sensor size, and existing EF lenses can still be used with the smaller sensor, so it wouldn't piss off people as much (though it'd still piss 'em off I'm sure).

If Canon starts making EF-S 'L' lenses, then I'd say it's a good bet that 1.6x is here to stay.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Gooberlx2

Why not? It's entirely possible that the future of pro-am (ala 20/30D), and even pro DSLRs will be 1.6x. EF-S lenses can pack in the same quality of glass for cheaper when they're made to suit that sensor size, and existing EF lenses can still be used with the smaller sensor, so it wouldn't piss off people as much (though it'd still piss 'em off I'm sure).

If Canon starts making EF-S 'L' lenses, then I'd say it's a good bet that 1.6x is here to stay.

They said it themselves that EF-S and FF will both have a place. More and more will go FF. However, The D-Reb and maybe the next model up will be EF-S.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Images are very close.

I've always said to a co worker that images from a 10D all the way up to the 1Ds Mark II that they were very similar at sub 200 ISO given static shots.

Most users will admit that the higher end cameras focus more reliably, faster and are more easy to use (bigger view finders, brighter view finders etc). But overall the images are very close.

I'll jump over the 1.6x crop cameras and wait a bit longer. I'm in no hurry.

Koing