DPreview.com: Canon TX1 FULL Review

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Announced back in February just before this year's PMA, the PowerShot TX1 is an unusual offshoot of the hugely popular IXUS / ELPH range that attempts to straddle the divide between digital stills and digital video cameras with its unusual vertical styling and 720p HDTV video capture. Despite its diminutive dimensions (it's little bigger than a pack of playing cards) the TX1 packs a fairly impressive punch, offering a 10x optically stabilized zoom, 7.1MP CCD, vari-angle LCD and 1080i HDTV component video output. So does the TX1 represent a new direction for compact digital cameras or has Canon set off down a blind alley? Let's find out, starting as ever with the headline features:

New vertical design
New 1/2.5-inch 7.1 million pixel CCD
Vari-angle LCD monitor (1.8-inch)
10x optical (39-390mm equiv.) zoom lens - 12 elements (one UD & one Aspheric element)
Optical image stabilization
ISO 80-1600
DIGIC III and Face Detection
720p (1280 x 720) movies at 30 fps with stereo sound
1080i component video output
Flexible movie / still shooting Shoot a full-resolution still image during movie recording, or start movie recording by simply pressing record button

Full Review

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Can you fix your title? I was worried they released a successor to the XTi right after I bought mine. Phew.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
it looks too uncomfortable for extended use. But I'll have to hold it in my hand to be sure.

edit: rant taken out

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Unless they are tied to a chair whilst a marketing man dances around waving a knife to the sound of 'Little Green Bag', I fail to see what possesses engineers at companies like Canon to allow cameras out of the factory with modes that produce output like this. Or maybe I'm just too fussy. The output is everything you'd expect from ISO 1600 on a 1/2.5-inch 7MP sensor; noisy, lacking detail and downright unpleasant. They might've been able to reconstruct Steve Austin as the bionic man from half a nostril found on the runway, but you can't turn a handful of photons into a faithful photographic record of a scene no matter how hard you try. Not that the Panasonic is much better; the color smearing is so extreme that they might as well take a black and white shot and supply a set of crayons with every camera.

LMAO
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canontx1/page8.asp

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Aharami
Unless they are tied to a chair whilst a marketing man dances around waving a knife to the sound of 'Little Green Bag', I fail to see what possesses engineers at companies like Canon to allow cameras out of the factory with modes that produce output like this. Or maybe I'm just too fussy. The output is everything you'd expect from ISO 1600 on a 1/2.5-inch 7MP sensor; noisy, lacking detail and downright unpleasant. They might've been able to reconstruct Steve Austin as the bionic man from half a nostril found on the runway, but you can't turn a handful of photons into a faithful photographic record of a scene no matter how hard you try. Not that the Panasonic is much better; the color smearing is so extreme that they might as well take a black and white shot and supply a set of crayons with every camera.

LMAO

Once again, dpreview's anti-Canon banter is at it again.
Save the clever remarks for the children that write reviews at cnet.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: foghorn67

LMAO

huh? this is the first time I'm hearing dpreview being accused of being anti-canon. usually people accuse phil of being a canon fanboi

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: foghorn67

LMAO

huh? this is the first time I'm hearing dpreview being accused of being anti-canon. usually people accuse phil of being a canon fanboi

huh? He will never get over the stupid card door thing.
He is spiteful for Canon never sending them pre-production models for a preview.