Download the NEW and FASTER PS3 F@H Client

defiantsf

Oct 23, 2005
In related PS3 Folding@home news, tomorrow will see the release of an application update that will further enhance program by improving in folding calculation speeds, increasing visibility of user location on the globe and giving the ability for users to create longer donor or team names. PS3 users can download the new update version 1.1 by restarting the Folding@home application.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7062

You can actually feel and see the difference! :thumbsup:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I posted the following in the stats GLeeM puts up yesterday:
Yahoo had the following info in an article about F@H and the PS3 impact:

Stanford University's Folding@home distributed computing project has seen its capacity more than double in the last month thanks to the addition of idle processor cycles from hundreds of thousands of PlayStation 3 consoles.

Total computing power of the system is now at around 700T Flops (floating point operations per second), with nearly 400T Flops of that coming from roughly 250,000 PlayStation 3 consoles, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) said Wednesday. An application supporting the program, which seeks to better understand how proteins fold, was made available to PlayStation 3 owners in April with a system software update.

Current statistics on the project's home page back up Sony's claim and reveal that the number of T Flops from consoles is more than double that from Windows PCs, which are the second largest group of clients running the software.

The addition of the PlayStation 3 consoles and the publicity surrounding it have also helped increase participation of PC owners in the project. The number of active PCs has jumped 20 percent in the last month, SCEI said.

On Wednesday, SCEI said it has published an updated version of the PlayStation 3 application that improves calculation speed.

Kind of interesting to see how much of an impact the PS3 is really having.

Shooks

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah downloaded the new client and its much faster. It used to take like 7.5 hrs per WU, now its down to 5.5 hrs. You can now zoom in on the molecules even further and it slows down the animation. Cool stuff!

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Hehe, now I start to wonder if a dedicated PS3 comes in cheaper than a couple of dedicated cores, if you look at points per day.

Shooks

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2001
Well just an update, I guess it is dependent on different cores because the next WU I received is back to taking 7.5 hours

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Shooks
Well just an update, I guess it is dependent on different cores because the next WU I received is back to taking 7.5 hours

I think the WUs started out at 287 points.

Now I see some at: 330, 412, 275, 308, 270, 401 & 250 points.

They should take more or less time depending on points given.