down comforters

Shanteli

Aug 7, 2000
Ok so this whole thread count thing. I can tell from the price that a high thread count is good and all but does anyone have any insight as to what is ?cheap? ?regular? and ?spoiling yourself? TC numbers?

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
the higher the thread count is the higher quality the fabric is. I dunno, I refuse to buy a comforter.... waste of money imho

L

Lola

the higher the TC the softer the sheets will be. I got a good price on 400 TC sheets. they are nice, but nothing compared to what we slept on when we were on our recent cruise. 800 TC is SUPER soft and luxe but so very expensive.
i would say its nice to have 300-500 TC sheets~

Shanteli

Aug 7, 2000
well considering I froze my @ss off last night...i think a better comforter is in order. Thx Lola

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
thread count is exactly that, how many threads they used to made the sheets

the higher the better (and the more expensive)

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
down comforters have a thread count? i thought thread count was just for sheets.

oh well. :confused:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
down comfortors require you to purchase a duvet cover... so thread count on the down comforter really doesnt matter too much, nor did I even know they had that rating on one. Perhaps it comes with a duvet cover?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Modeps
down comfortors require you to purchase a duvet cover... so thread count on the down comforter really doesnt matter too much, nor did I even know they had that rating on one. Perhaps it comes with a duvet cover?

Uhhh no they don't. We've bought two stand alone down comforters without duvets. They work just fine laying on the bed as a comforter.

:confused:

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Uhhh no they don't. We've bought two stand alone down comforters without duvets. They work just fine laying on the bed as a comforter.

Shh... the Bedding Police are going to get you now... :(

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

The whole point of a duvet is for cleaning, if you dont use one, chances are you're gonna destroy your feathers (with washing the comfortor, instead of the duvet)

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002

The whole point of a duvet is for cleaning, if you dont use one, chances are you're gonna destroy your feathers (with washing the comfortor, instead of the duvet)

there are two different types of comforters: one with duvet cover (and the goose down is inside), and one without (the goose feathers are directly inside the sheets, so you cant take the sheets out for cleaning)

the latter is cheaper, and probably doesnt feel as good as the former.