Dow plummeting towards 11,000

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: mshan
For what it is worth, Art Cashin on what he calls "The Thursday Syndrome": intra-day reversal next Tuesday?

Sure there are trends but the big trend is downword.
Incredible manufacturing growth overseas coupled with massive taxes at home topped off by rampant inflation caused by the federal reserves unrestrained printing habits...sorry but we are in deep trouble.

CyberDuck

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: CyberDuck
Originally posted by: Engineer
Dow now in Bear Market territory....

Up or down from here folks? I think oil and it's impending inflation is going to be very hard to overcome. Raising interest rates will slow a slowing economy to the point of recession but rising oil and other inflationary pressures will do the same. Seems the DC boys and ole Ben have their butts between the ole rock and hard place.

High oil price is not automatically bad for the stock market since a large amount of the money paid for oil is put into the stock market (The Norwegian oil fund as an example, 60% goes into stocks, 40% into other papers)

Its very possible that a bottom was set today btw.

It all depends.

It's very possible that the bottom will be set Monday. That's a silly statement to make.

I know, but an analyst I follow from time to time has "indications" (or rather computer models) going in this direction, he closely predicted bottom today (only missing by about 10 points), and thinks next week will be blue(green?)

- time will show

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Perry404
For what it is worth, Art Cashin on what he calls "The Thursday Syndrome": intra-day reversal next Tuesday?

Incredible manufacturing growth overseas coupled with massive taxes at home topped off by rampant inflation caused by the federal reserves unrestrained printing habits...sorry but we are in deep trouble.

I met Art Cashin today, nice guy.

Please, stop saying "printing habits", "printing money" or other such crap unless you can prove it through provable numbers.

The inflation currently being experienced is because commodity appreciation due to money flooding into the market, not "over priting".

Jobs are coming back.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Actually, thousands of manufacturing jobs have been coming back to the US.

With the higher cost to manufacturer overseas because of:

a: Higher shipping
b: Much weaker dollar

I could see that happening but right now, working in manufacturing, I just don't see it. Mexico is taking the auto industry by storm. I just read that Chrysler will be getting seats made in India for certain 09 models and spurning the plant in Ohio that currently makes them. I "can" possibly imagine that it could happen but I don't see it right now....(not that it is or isn't....)

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

Please, stop saying "printing habits", "printing money" or other such crap unless you can prove it through provable numbers.

The inflation currently being experienced is because commodity appreciation due to money flooding into the market, not "over priting".

Jobs are coming back.

The federal reserve is not accountable to the U.S. government. How do you propose it be proved when the company that prints our money is private and secretive? How about this. Ron Paul says that four trillion dollars have been printed in three years and not a single member of congress refutes those numbers. I think that's evidence enough that it's accepted as being accurate. One thing about Paul is that he is accurate and speaks the truth.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: maddogchen
Citigroup bankruptcy within 1.5 years. Mark this post.

Care to make a wager on that?

how bout one of you buy and one of you short Citi?

How about I buy C Jan 2010 5.0000 put (WRVMZ.X) and jman19 writes it?

Or we can just make a simple wager on it.

What odds will you give me?

You said it was going to happen, with a certain conviction it seems, so straight up even.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

You said it was going to happen, with a certain conviction it seems, so straight up even.

Why would I give you even odds when options market is giving me 10-1 odds?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Here's a hint: I was testing your resolve when you said to "mark this post."

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

If the options market did not exist or was giving me 1:1 odds then yes I would make a wager with you. However, since it's giving me 10:1 odds no I will not bet you straight up so that you can and hedge yourself by buying options eliminating your risk.

For the record I believe there is a 30-40% chance they will go broke but that is enough for me to put my money where my mouth is and buy the 5 puts.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

If the options market did not exist or was giving me 1:1 odds then yes I would make a wager with you. However, since it's giving me 10:1 odds no I will not bet you straight up so that you can and hedge yourself by buying options eliminating your risk.

For the record I believe there is a 30-40% chance they will go broke but that is enough for me to put my money where my mouth is and buy the 5 puts.

I'm not going to hedge out the difference, and frankly I don't care if you make a wager with me or not. It's clear you are not confident that C will be bankrupt in 1.5 yrs, though, which was my point.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Jobs are coming back.

The federal reserve is not accountable to the U.S. government. How do you propose it be proved when the company that prints our money is private and secretive? How about this. Ron Paul says that four trillion dollars have been printed in three years and not a single member of congress refutes those numbers. I think that's evidence enough that it's accepted as being accurate. One thing about Paul is that he is accurate and speaks the truth.

The Federal Reserve exists only through Congress, which can be revoked at any time. It's governors are appointed by Congress and approved by the President. It *HAS* to report to Congress every month and reports financials to Congress (audited by a 3rd independent party) annually.

How the flying fuck is the Fed *NOT* accountable to Congress? It's only "private and secretive" as much as any other company and/or government bureaucracy. If you only researched you'd find that it isn't at all.

I don't give a flying fuck through a rolling donut what Ron Paul says, I want *YOU* to provide something that proves your assertion. Ron Paul isn't accurate and doesn't speak the truth, because he excludes stuff that could easily disprove any assertions. He is incorrect in that he doesn't tell the whole story, which is just as bad as a flat-out lie.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

Jobs are coming back.

The Federal Reserve exists only through Congress, which can be revoked at any time. It's governors are appointed by Congress and approved by the President. It *HAS* to report to Congress every month and reports financials to Congress (audited by a 3rd independent party) annually.

How the flying fuck is the Fed *NOT* accountable to Congress? It's only "private and secretive" as much as any other company and/or government bureaucracy. If you only researched you'd find that it isn't at all.

I don't give a flying fuck through a rolling donut what Ron Paul says, I want *YOU* to provide something that proves your assertion. Ron Paul isn't accurate and doesn't speak the truth, because he excludes stuff that could easily disprove any assertions. He is incorrect in that he doesn't tell the whole story, which is just as bad as a flat-out lie.

Ok great then you shouldn't have any difficulty in finding the number of bills the fed has printed last year and how much they intend to print in the next quarter. I await your response eagerly as I am curious to see these numbers myself. The entire reason you won't find these numbers are because they are secretive and not accountable.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Jobs are coming back.

Ok great then you shouldn't have any difficulty in finding the number of bills the fed has printed last year and how much they intend to print in the next quarter. I await your response eagerly as I am curious to see these numbers myself. The entire reason you won't find these numbers are because they are secretive and not accountable.

You make the assertion, you back it up.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

Jobs are coming back.

You make the assertion, you back it up.

You blew all that hot air and you got nothing.:laugh:
Ron Paul happens to be on one of these commities that questions the fed and they can't get the information they need much less answers to the simple questions I asked you. I'm telling you now I CAN'T BACK UP THE NUMBERS BECAUSE THE FED IS SECRETIVE AND IS NOT ACCOUNTABLE NOR DO THEY NEED TO PROVIDE SUCH INFORMATION TO CONGRESS.
What part of this are you not getting? lol

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
A few minutes from close and the Dow is down 330 points and plummeting towards 11,000. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. EVERYTHING IS OK!
Any of you optimists care to guess when she'll bounce past 14,000?
11,000 within 4 weeks.

QUICK! VOTE RON PAUL!

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Ron Paul happens to be on one of these commities that questions the fed and they can't get the information they need much less answers to the simple questions I asked you. I'm telling you now I CAN'T BACK UP THE NUMBERS BECAUSE THE FED IS SECRETIVE AND IS NOT ACCOUNTABLE NOR DO THEY NEED TO PROVIDE SUCH INFORMATION TO CONGRESS.

So, you have nothing.

kthanxbye

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

So, you have nothing.

kthanxbye

Lol you are not only a windbag you're a cornered windbag.:laugh:

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Cool. Seems like a decent guy. I hear he has a very high iq. I always thought he was out of place with the sharks down there. Could be wrong about him though without getting to know him.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

So, you have nothing.

kthanxbye

No, I am right.

If a prosecutor makes an assertion, they have to make a case, otherwise their case is dismissed since the presumption is innocence. The same here, you make an assertion, you back it up. You've provided no backup, thus, you lose.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

I'm not going to hedge out the difference, and frankly I don't care if you make a wager with me or not. It's clear you are not confident that C will be bankrupt in 1.5 yrs, though, which was my point.

How am I not confident if I have position in C puts?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

So, you have nothing.

kthanxbye

No, I am right.

If a prosecutor makes an assertion, they have to make a case, otherwise their case is dismissed since the presumption is innocence. The same here, you make an assertion, you back it up. You've provided no backup, thus, you lose.

lulz why do you bother

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004

So, you have nothing.

kthanxbye

No, I am right.

You are confused. I said my data can't be backed up because the fed is not obligated to release the data, does not release the data and has not released the data. You are asking me to back up my data.

...it cannot be backed up because ... are you getting it yet?
Stop embarrassing yourself.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Ron Paul said $4T but my pet fish said $55T and it's equally true at the moment, or rather both are backed up by the same link, which is to say no link. $4t may very well be the case, but perry you know that without proof at all it's a bit of a useless statement if you're challenged and still cannot produce it.

Regarding manufacturing, it inexplicably is still struggling even with the weak dollar, at least compared to what one might expect, but it is benefitting from it and some companies are looking to relocate their offices from europe to the US. I cannot think of any off hand but npr did a story on it a month ago.