DOW down 250 points, oil up 3.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Look at it go, I don't think it's been at 10,806 (where it is this second) in a very long time, has it?

I believe oil's rally is temporary. As the global economy continues to implode, oil's cost will tag along for the ride.

BTW, at least we ain't Russia, they had to shut down their market because it is hemorrhaging. Russia

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Look at it go, I don't think it's been at 10,806 (where it is this second) in a very long time, has it?

I believe oil's rally is temporary.

As the global economy continues to implode, oil's cost will tag along for the ride.

BTW, at least we ain't Russia, they had to shut down their market because it is hemorrhaging. Russia

Don't count on it.

The rich want somewhere to shove money and make gobs of money hand over fist.

Oil is always a good bet.

I wouldn't be surprised if oil shoots up to $200 shortly after the election.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

I believe oil's rally is temporary. As the global economy continues to implode, oil's cost will tag along for the ride.

Amen to that. Thank god my 401k is in cash.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I believe oil's rally is temporary.

As the global economy continues to implode, oil's cost will tag along for the ride.

Don't count on it.

The rich want somewhere to shove money and make gobs of money hand over fist.

Oil is always a good bet.

I wouldn't be surprised if oil shoots up to $200 shortly after the election.

With energy policies like those that were passed through the House yesterday, you arent far off. I would alter to say that oil wont shoot up like that, but gas prices sure will.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Time to open that trunk under my bed and dust off the "Dow 10,000" hat from years ago...

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: brencat
Time to open that trunk under my bed and dust off the "Dow 10,000" hat from years ago...

It's definitely headed in that direction. I really wouldn't be surprised to see it get there this week. What I don't know is exactly what effect the feds bailing everyone out will have in the short term. This is beyond my experience. If it's to "save" the market then theoretically the market should slow.
At the moment she's tanking and things don't look to promising.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Nasdaq and S&P down by 3.5% so far; DJIA down 325.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: halik
oil isn't going anywhere if we're headed into a global slow down...
Sure it is. How would a global speed up make it go down? If people don't have jobs or are not buying things that require transportation, its demand will continue to wane, helping deflate the bubble.
I don't know is exactly what effect the feds bailing everyone out will have in the short term. This is beyond my experience. If it's to "save" the market then theoretically the market should slow.
Market is drunk. Yesterday when all was lost it closed up. Today after an AIG bailout it's down 327 points as of this writing.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Perry404

It's definitely headed in that direction. I really wouldn't be surprised to see it get there this week. What I don't know is exactly what effect the feds bailing everyone out will have in the short term. This is beyond my experience. If it's to "save" the market then theoretically the market should slow.

I think the FED would cut rates before they let it drop that low (seriously) that quickly.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: Perry404

I think the FED would cut rates before they let it drop that low (seriously) that quickly.
They are on their last clip and almost done with ammunition, how much lower can they go?!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Market is drunk. Yesterday when all was lost it closed up. Today after an AIG bailout it's down 327 points as of this writing.

The market is bigger than AIG, it is bigger than our government. This is a ride that they can influence, but not one that they can stop.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: halik
oil isn't going anywhere if we're headed into a global slow down...
Sure it is. How would a global speed up make it go down? If people don't have jobs or are not buying things that require transportation, its demand will continue to wane, helping deflate the bubble.
I don't know is exactly what effect the feds bailing everyone out will have in the short term. This is beyond my experience. If it's to "save" the market then theoretically the market should slow.

Going nowhere was referring to the notion that it will come back up. Global demand is going down...

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Don't have much time to post. Look at the OIS-LIBOR spreads and TEF spreads. They are literally both in uncharted waters.

Banks are not borrowing a cent to others and are extremely skittish with the idea that MS and GS are still independent companies. Margin calls are huge today as well. It is an interesting day. To be honest the equity markets are holding up extremely well considering what the worldwide debt markets are doing today. ECB will lower rates by the end of the week an in emergency cut. LIBOR, EUROYEN, LIBOREURO, EURODOLLAR are so far out of whack and UBS has as we have read liquidity problems at home and is turning away simple M and A deals today because of withdrawals.

If we can make it through this month we will be fine, the question is can we make it through this month.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Quadruple witching Friday coming up. Anyone care to speculate on what if any effect this will have?
From what I understand it will basically equate to high volume and not necessarily movement in one direction or another.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"The hedge fund industry, mired in poor investment returns and under the threat of redemptions, is in an increasingly fragile state. Importantly, prices and performance in many different and historically uncorrelated asset classes are all falling in unison. As a consequence, many of the multi-strategy funds are also suffering more than usual."
http://www.thestreet.com/story...rs-on-wall-street.html

Is this a black swan type of event for hedge funds using those computerized trading algorithms based upon historic price relationships (LTCM?)

edit: Sometime earlier this month I think Dennis Gartman said a lot of endowments and pensions had started adding commodities to their portfolios in the spring of this year, thinking that they were now assets classes that predictably zig and zag in this particular way over time. He said committee meetings to change those decisions hadn't even taken place yet. I think this was on Fast Money at least a week or two ago (?)

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Oil production is down in Nigeria, Russia, Mexico, Venezuala, North Sea so any decreased demand will continue to be in step with production.
Once the economy recovers it will drive up the price and push us again into recession.
Repeat for many years

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If I had any money and believed we were at the end of this it would be a great time to buy in.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: mshan
"The hedge fund industry, mired in poor investment returns and under the threat of redemptions, is in an increasingly fragile state. Importantly, prices and performance in many different and historically uncorrelated asset classes are all falling in unison. As a consequence, many of the multi-strategy funds are also suffering more than usual."
http://www.thestreet.com/story...rs-on-wall-street.html

Is this a black swan type of event for hedge funds using those computerized trading algorithms based upon historic price relationships (LTCM?)

edit: Sometime earlier this month I think Dennis Gartman said a lot of endowments and pensions had started adding commodities to their portfolios in the spring of this year, thinking that they were now assets classes that predictably zig and zag in this particular way over time. He said committee meetings to change those decisions hadn't even taken place yet. I think this was on Fast Money at least a week or two ago (?)

This whole housing mess is a black swan event - the current foreclosure rates are several std deviations over the historical mean. Now figure in L and CP being several std deviations over the historical means and see how that impacts derivatives pricing.

Aig insured secularized mortgage instruments at some confidence range 99.999x% percent using the historical data.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Big government defined.

I like the fact that our government is gobbling up bad debt and taking over private companies but market confidence continues to slide.

that makes alot of sense, no?

:roll:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: desy
Oil production is down in Nigeria, Russia, Mexico, Venezuala, North Sea so any decreased demand will continue to be in step with production.
Once the economy recovers it will drive up the price and push us again into recession.
Repeat for many years
Saudi arabia is stepping up production substantially in the next few years. I'm talking M per day. That is the projection, anyway.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Morgan Stanley and Goldman down BIG today.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Did the Fed really "bail out" AIG like the market wanted it to? http://www.cnbc.com/id/26753460

From what I've read today, sounds like they may have just thrown them a temporary lifeline so that it can liquidate in an orderly fashion over time (?)

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: OrByte
Big government defined.

I like the fact that our government is gobbling up bad debt and taking over private companies but market confidence continues to slide.

that makes alot of sense, no?

:roll:

Would you rather pay for everything in cash?