dot org question

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I have asked this before here, but never got a str8 answer.

If I get a dot org and use it for a small business site, will it lead to problems?

Dot orgs are for non profits, but is that strictly enforced or not at all?

thanks in advance

Jan 18, 2001
I don't know about any of the penalties etc, but why would you want to use a url that you could expect to have to change. You don't want your business ID/BRAND/URL changing all the time.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: Stifko
is that strictly enforced or not at all?

thanks in advance

no , it isn't enforced at all
if you can register a domain , you can do whatever you want with it

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
is that strictly enforced or not at all?

thanks in advance

no , it isn't enforced at all
if you can register a domain , you can do whatever you want with it

Anandtech-Moderator.com is open :p

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
.... but why would you want to use a url that you could expect to have to change.

why would I expect to have to change it?

& why should I be concerned about contributing to the mess that the internet domain naming system has gone to?

whats one more URL gonna do in the big scheme of things?

by the time thet catch up with me, who knows what will be the situation with the business?

anymore advice/comments?

Jan 18, 2001
.... but why would you want to use a url that you could expect to have to change.

why would I expect to have to change it?

& why should I be concerned about contributing to the mess that the internet domain naming system has gone to?

whats one more URL gonna do in the big scheme of things?

by the time thet catch up with me, who knows what will be the situation with the business?

anymore advice/comments?

I presume you would at some point have to change the domain b/c you would be violating the non-profit rule. Also, what are you telling your customers about how you operate if your business if breaking this rule? Seems like a very short sighted decision.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
Its a 3 letter URL and they seem to be super-popular, & are grabbed up like hotcakes. This particular 3 letter url is taken in every possible suffix (KSM). The guy who owns the dot org would sell it to me pretty cheap ($100). We have been negotiating for almost a year now, he started at $250. I might get it b/c I dunno how long I am gonna be helping out w/this business anyway, if that makes any sense.

thanks for your help BTW everyone

QTPie

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
I once came across a .org pr0n site when I was searching for a non-profit organization/organisation