Dot Indians

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
uh... I was gonna say something

Oh yeah, so I was looking at this recipe for chapatis. Does anyone here make them? Are they good? What do you eat with them? Can you add spices? Do you? Is it true dot Indians smell because of Indian food spices? Is ghee really practical to fry food in? It's expensive.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Dude, just go to any local Indian restaurant and buy fresh ones in bulk...if you buy like 10 or more they can give you a discount (i.e. not menu price, but 'bulk' price.) Just call ahead, ask 'em if they'll do that, and then drop by and pick 'em up. American kitchens aren't equipped to cook them...you need a restaurant that has a high temperature 'tandoor' style oven.

edit: crap....you said chappathis. I thought u were asking about Naans (Bhatura > Naan > Puri > Dosa > Chappathi/Roti.)

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
What is all that gobbledigook (that sounds Indian, lol)? I think I just need a skillet to make chapati. I just read you can make ghee too, from regular butter. What a relief. My inquiry now will focus towards... the viability. Yes, I could purchase ingredients or foods from an Indian grocery store, but then I lose the freshly cooked flavor. For example, I made samosas once and they were pretty good... not a very good example, because I've never bought frozen samosas, but I bet they suck. Anyway, I have the flour, oil, salt, and water! The question now is what do I put in them that isn't extremely expensive? Samosas have so many damn ingredients, food that was once simple and cheap becomes extremely expensive as you buy a bunch of food you aren't going to eat. If only I lived in the city I could go to some cheap Indian restaurants with inexpensive food, but I don't and I can't. Jesus damn lord, what do you want from me?

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Originally posted by: Amol
Some people consider the term "dot Indian" offensive :roll:

wtf is a dot Indian?

"dot indian" - Referring to someone from India.
"feather indian" - Refering to Native Americans.

It ain't rocket science.

Caesar

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
Firstly: U r an asshole
Secondly: Go buy some frozen ones from Indian grocery stores and heat them in a pan or if you want freshly cooked taste go buy them from an Indian restaurant.

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
A chapati itself is going to be a bit bland. I would suggest making parathas. They are like chapatis but they are stuffed. You can make Aloo parathas by heating a potato (make sure to make a slit in it before heating). I like to heat it in the microwave. After heating it, peel the skin (should come right off) and mash the potato. Add some spices. Take some dough and flatten it like a pancake. Add the potato filling in the middle and then close the dough around it. Reflatten the mixture and then stretch it out. Put it in a skillet with a little oil and heat till it cooks. I also like to make parathas with horseradish in it. Ghee isn't really necessary and not very healthy. I wouldn't really recommend it for daily use.

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: computeerrgghh
A chapati itself is going to be a bit bland. I would suggest making parathas. They are like chapatis but they are stuffed. You can make Aloo parathas by heating a potato (make sure to make a slit in it before heating). I like to heat it in the microwave. After heating it, peel the skin (should come right off) and mash the potato. Add some spices. Take some dough and flatten it like a pancake. Add the potato filling in the middle and then close the dough around it. Reflatten the mixture and then stretch it out. Put it in a skillet with a little oil and heat till it cooks. I also like to make parathas with horseradish in it. Ghee isn't really necessary and not very healthy. I wouldn't really recommend it for daily use.

That sounds delectible, I'm pretty sure it does. Ghee can't be much more unhealthy than butter, can it? It's just butter with the milk solids removed.

computeerrgghh

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: kogase
Originally posted by: computeerrgghh

That sounds delectible, I'm pretty sure it does. Ghee can't be much more unhealthy than butter, can it? It's just butter with the milk solids removed.

It has a lot of saturated fat and there is a tendency to put way to much especially since unlike butter, it doesn't come it sticks. If you are going to use ghee, use very little.

ASK THE COMMUNITY