Dos games error

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I posted this in OS but there seem to be more geeks hanging here than there tonite so here goes:

I have been using DRIVE IMAGE to restore my PC when needed. It was done soon after a fresh install before I had the chance to screw with it too much. I have not been able to play Soldier of Fortune since. The PC freezes . Lately I tried to install the Toy Story 2 game and it won't launch..it gives me a "No suitable device found" error. I then ran Nortom utilities and one of the problems it gave me was that I had an invalid something or other for missing something or other ...Dos games. I summised that my game problems are due to this/these missing files. What I want to know is if I re-install win98 over SE , then follow up with SE, will I get those missing files back? I have to go this route because my win98SE is an upgrade only while the win98 is a full install.
Is there some other solution that might easier?

Bryan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes. You don't have to reinstall First Edition before going to SE (it won't even let you). Just reinstall SE over itself, run Windows Update, and try again.

Also try updating your drivers for video and sound, then download DX 7 again.

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
1: Will it give me back the missing files
2 The SE upgrade doesnt have all those cab files, could my missing files be in there?

Bryan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Your SE upgrade has the exact same files a full version Windows CD does, except for a different installer. If the missing files are Windows system files, then yes, it will restore them.

TRY THIS FIRST You can try running the System File Checker. It's under the System Information shortcut under Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That is quite a usefull tool> I never new it existed. I ran it and it told me I had a corrupt setupx.dll so I restored it from SE and ran the scan again and everything was there. Do you think that file could have been my problem?

BTW...thanx for the help....go take a ten-spot from the cash ;)

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well Buzz Lightyear is back up and flying , I am off to see if my SoF works .....thanx again Bryan