Dorchester County kills millions of Honeybees due to the Zika virus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
In SC, there are honeybee farms that provide bees to apiarist and farms all over the country. It's an industry. So yes, they should have been notified of the spraying.

The spraying guy said they posted a notice on the towns website 2 days earlier and called and/or emailed everyone who had a hive registered with them. I could easily imagine someone having a different number than when they signed up, I can also easily imagine an email going to spam. Towns website needs no explaining.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
These .gov types keep this up and epipen maker will go bankrupt......oh wait, no they won't........hurry up and triple the price!

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Having a healthy bee population is globally paramount. In China there is region where they grow Chinese pears, which is a major export crop. They have no bees to pollinate. With no pollination, no crop. So the government hires unemployed people to do this. Saw this on a PBS doc.

I've been picking tomatoes, even though bees were collecting pollen on the same plants. The bees are too busy working to bother with me. I don't know if I am allergic to bee stings. This allergy could be very serious in some people. But you bother a hive, better run.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm more surprised there are people willing to eat produce grown in China really. That's just stupid.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
I'm more surprised there are people willing to eat produce grown in China really. That's just stupid.

Don't have a lot of faith in our FDA?

FDA's China Office, opened in November 2008, provides information that our experts apply toward assuring that products from that country being sold in the U.S. meet FDA’s safety and quality requirements.

The China Office has built strong working relationships with that nation's State Food and Drug Administration and its General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection, and Quarantine. FDA collaborates with these agencies on training, including targeted training conducted in key industry sectors. This has helped make China's food safety oversight more robust.

FDA now has investigators deployed in China full time, allowing us to do more food and drug inspections than ever before. This, as we continue to examine imported products on a frequent basis.

In addition, we monitor and report on conditions, trends, and events that may affect the safety and quality of FDA-regulated Chinese products, and collaborate closely with other U.S. government and international agencies in China that work to strengthen product safety.

Feb 4, 2009

Don't have a lot of faith in our FDA?

Watch out for the TPP it has changes to country of origin labeling. Particularly for food stuff.
I know China isn't part of the TPP but let's assume it sets the stage. Some of the food industry lobbied for this, they want to produce meats in one place, freeze them and butches them somewhere cheap with friendly worker comp liability.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Watch out for the TPP it has changes to country of origin labeling. Particularly for food stuff.
I know China isn't part of the TPP but let's assume it sets the stage. Some of the food industry lobbied for this, they want to produce meats in one place, freeze them and butches them somewhere cheap with friendly worker comp liability.

TPP is from the devil himself. It is a disgusting piece of work that Hillary will sign. The absolute worst thing about it is that it will extend drug patents dramatically. One of the most expensive items for American families and Democrats are set to make it even worse. This one really demonstrates the stranglehold that corporations have on both parties. We are living in the most corrupt government system in American history. We are truly run by corporate CEOs. The politicians no longer seem to matter that much. They simply do what their masters tell them. We the people have lost any semblance of control.

WHY ARE THE DEMOCRATS GOING ALONG WITH THIS? Why isn't our supposedly free press screeching this all over the news? This is fucking huge and it is being treated like a triviality.

This is the kind of SHIT that they stick into trade pact? What does screwing the poor and sick in America with cost prohibitive medicines for DECADES have to do with a trade deal. This is just evil.