N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
Greetings Gamers
After watching my daughter play the original DOOM on her PS3 and seeing that the graphics were very good I DLd Doom2 from steam and all I can say is, Wow!, the graphics suck!! so is

there a place that I can get the original DOOM with pretty good graphics and play it on my PC?

it would be fun to play the 1st couple of Doom games on my current PC and bring back all of the noob feelings from back in '94... Thanks

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I think thats what she has, however, I think it has Doom1,2,and 3

Doom 3 BFG is just Doom 3 redone with some mods redone for consoles. There is no real pretty version for older dooms. I think there is some openGL mode to make one of them look prettier but it isn't going to blow your mind.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I think she was probably playing Doom 3 BFG. There was a mod called Classic Doom 3, which was the mod for Doom 3 that remade the shareware levels of the original Doom. It actually made Doom fun again. I dont think there has been a modern graphic update for either Doom 1 or Doom 2.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
Thanks guys, I DLd Doom 2 and like I was saying its really hard to look at and then seeing Doom1 on my HDTV, WOW!! its very, very nice, not the greatest but not bad at

all for a great old game...the original Doom is still one of the best old games I've ever played and it probably is that way since it was my 1st FPS :cool:

I wouldnt mind the PS3 but I'm a PC gamer and not a console guy, I guess I'm just 'ol Skool =-(

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Thanks guys, I DLd Doom 2 and like I was saying its really hard to look at and then seeing Doom1 on my HDTV, WOW!! its very, very nice, not the greatest but not bad at

all for a great old game...the original Doom is still one of the best old games I've ever played and it probably is that way since it was my 1st FPS :cool:

I wouldnt mind the PS3 but I'm a PC gamer and not a console guy, I guess I'm just 'ol Skool =-(
No you're not. Doom and Doom 2 look the same.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
all I can say is WOW!! I hate playing Doom2 with such low and bad graphics but what a frigg'n cool rush it is playing Doom2 again...I think I'm on about the 7th/8th level and I found the BFG...oh yeah!!

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
This is great stuff, when you click 'end game' it asks, "Do you really want to quit to DOS?" now thats old skool, LOL!

I think its really amazing how ID software had such a way of putting together a FPS and making it so freaking hard and fun at the same time. And the music did set the tone in the game.

Also, it had sounds that would make you know that something was about to happen or it meant that you would have to go in a hurry to accomplish something...I love this game!! waaaaaaay before its time IMHO.

gonvik

Mar 11, 2005
all I can say is WOW!! I hate playing Doom2 with such low and bad graphics but what a frigg'n cool rush it is playing Doom2 again...I think I'm on about the 7th/8th level and I found the BFG...oh yeah!!

Like Kaotik mentioned above, have you looked in to any OpenGL renderers for Doom 1 & 2 (plus Final Doom)?

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Category:OpenGL_ports

"Skulltag" is pretty good if you want to play online. "Doomsday", "ZDoom" are other great ones.

You only need the doom .wad files after you install these OpenGL versions. It's by no means on the graphical level of Doom 3, but it at least lets you play at high resolutions.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only way I play Doom now is with DOSBox and the original installation of Doom and Doom 2. Unmodified original is still the best.

N2gaming

Nov 5, 2006
Whoo Hoo! I'm playing DOOM with Hi-graphics now....WOW!! yes I freaking cant believe it. Thanks everyone!