doom turns 7 today... meeeeemories

rudds

Jan 1, 2000
ok, so the doom shareware was posted to ftp seven years ago today and set countless lives on their downward spiral toward abject geekdom. :) everyone remember where they were when they got it?

i actually didn't play doom until 1994, because i was 15 at the time and not online. i went to babbages and saw the shareware on the shelf: "this looks interesting... whoa, $6!" the game knocked me on my ass, of course, and it's definitely helped shape my interests since then.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I remember seeing DooM II running on a Pentium. Whoaaaaaaa.... :Q

[edit] Push the years back a few, I remember buying Wolfenstein shareware and running it on a shiny new 486(DX)-33. Wicked. THEN we got a sound card. !:Q!

toph99

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2000
i first played that on my friend's 486 66(which he used consistantly until he got a k6-2 in 1997 :confused;)
don't forget:
Duke Nukem 3D
Wolfenstine etc.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I first played it on my r33t 486DX2/50 :cool:

SysOp of a local BBS told me I had to try it, so I got it from her (shareware version, of course).

Needless to say, I bought it soon thereafter. :Q

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I remember downloading Doom on my shiney new 14.4 modem and promptly calling my friend and tell him.. &quot;Guess I what I downloaded.. Doom! And it only took <however long>!!&quot;

That game kicked ass.

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
idbehold- Displays menu (followed by S, V, I, R, A, or L
for choice)
S=Strength (Berserk)
V=Invulnerability
I=Partial invisibility
A=Full Automap (computer map)
R=Anti-radiation suit
L=Light amplification visors

idchoppers- Gives you the chain saw
idclev- Warp
iddqd- Degreelessness mode
iddt- Toggles Automap between normal, full, and full with
objects
idfa- idkfa - keys
idkfa- Very Happy Ammo
idmypos- Displays your bearing and coordinates in hex
idspispopd- No clipping

Basically, Doom is a (violent) 3D arcade game where you run around in a maze and kill things with shotguns and chainsaws.... After you get tired of killing things, you can run it over a network and kill things together with your friends. After you get tired of that, you can kill your friends.&quot;

Frequently Asked Questions: Doom

Ah, The good old days :)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
iddqd, right. And, with &quot;idbehold&quot; you can get light amplification visor, invisibility, all map, and tons of other stuff.

When you're looking at the map, press <ctrl>T, I believe, to show you where all the baddies are, and when you fire, it shows you where your shots go. :)

idfa gives you all weapons and full ammo
idkfa gives you that plus all the keys
idchoppers gives you the chainsaw with an &quot;inside joke&quot; displayed on the monitor.

...I don't remember right now what the code to walk through walls is...

Has anyone played the NEW version of Wolfenstien3D yet?

<edit>
ARG! someone beat me to it. :( :)
</edit>

MrChicken

Feb 18, 2000
In a big way DOOM is what got to me to where I am now in my career.
Because of DOOM I learned how to setup a home network, how to make modems work really well, and how to make dos and windows work. This got me interested in PC's.
Now, I'm a net admin in NT network, I owe most of that to DOOM.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I remember we played coop Doom for HOURS at a LAN party just months ago! :Q I advise any LAN party frequenters to try it! It half nostalgia, half fun, and half kickass! :)

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Killbat, amen to that. :Q

A couple of years ago I had some LAN doom2 action. I would highly recommend map 6 or 7 for hard and fast deathmatch. Any doom1 map is good for co-op, though. ;)

rudds

Jan 1, 2000
two-player doom was the first pc game i played that was any kind of multiplayer... i almost couldn't believe i was playing against my friend who lived across town. now i play games every day against people from like, anywhere on the planet. weird how you can become so complacent about things.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
I remember playing Doom on our old 486. When we got it my cousin was over here every day playing it and looking up codes and it was the best ever. THEN I got Carmageddon and a p233 and I was in heavan.:)

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Doom was the first PC game I ever played. Back in '93 when I got a P5-60 from Gateway, I had the fastest bad boy on the block and could run Doom at FULL SCREEN with NO drop in frames. :) It must have been that extra meg of DRam that pushed my ATI Mach32 up to 2Mb DRAM :D But that game could be played only one way, with turbo set to 250.:) 4 people playing with turbo -250 on the local BBS was as good as it got back then.