Doom III - I never played it!

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
I finally got a new machine and I'm ready to play some good games. I picked up Stalker and Gears of War and I know those will be awesome. How is Doom III? I've never really played it. Is it worth buying? Does it have the same effect that the original had? Scarey? Fun? Is it corney?

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Scary as hell :laugh:

It's a bit tedious from time to time (no duct tape on mars) but it's a really entertaining game, especially if you enjoyed the original doom games. It was also the first game to utilize unified lighting IIRC, so it looks really nice considering how old it is.

Also, get the Orange Box!

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: angry hampster
Scary as hell :laugh:

It's a bit tedious from time to time (no duct tape on mars) but it's a really entertaining game, especially if you enjoyed the original doom games. It was also the first game to utilize unified lighting IIRC, so it looks really nice considering how old it is.

Also, get the Orange Box!

I recall the reviews saying it was scarey, but is it resident evil scarey? Or scarier!? And yes, the Orange Box! I forgot about that one.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
I enjoyed Quake 4 more than Doom 3, FWIW. Also, I'm almost through Bioshock, which has been an amazing experience.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: mundane
I enjoyed Quake 4 more than Doom 3, FWIW. Also, I'm almost through Bioshock, which has been an amazing experience.

I prefered Quake 4 to Doom 3 or even Bioshock,I think those two games were hyped and not as good as the reviews stated or from my own gaming experience/personal enjoyment etc...

Stalker was more creepy /scarey for me.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Doom3 was good a good enough shooter, but make sure you get the mod that puts a permanent flashlight on your gun, cuz the switching thing + 3 second light battery took off about 4 points for me.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I hated Doom 3. Boring, SUPER predictable, and the scariness only lasts for the first 30 minutes until you realize they just hide zombies around every corner. Not to mention the engine was pretty bad. Lots of plastic-y looking textures.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Now i'm in a bind. Which should I buy out of these three?

1) Doom III
2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
3) F.E.A.R.

?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: batmang

1) Doom III
2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
3) F.E.A.R.

?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. by a long shot in my opinion, even if it costs you more.

KT

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

1) Doom III
2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
3) F.E.A.R.

?

Stalker or FEAR ,I actually have both and enjoyed both of them,Stalker has RPG elements in the gameplay.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004

1) Doom III
2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
3) F.E.A.R.

?

I've never played stalker but out of Doom III and FEAR, I would pick FEAR.

Quake 4 is also better then Doom III, IMO. I :heart: the Quake series. Quake 1 was good for mods like Team Fortress and was 3D with OpenGL!! That's right, I said 3D! :D Quake 2 had good single player (which Quake 4 was a sequel to) Quake 3: Arena is the only one that didn't grab me. I just found it boring. It might have been because of me having dial-up when it was released...

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Beev
I hated Doom 3. Boring, SUPER predictable, and the scariness only lasts for the first 30 minutes until you realize they just hide zombies around every corner. Not to mention the engine was pretty bad. Lots of plastic-y looking textures.

Ditto. I hated how monsters just popped out of completely nonsensical cubby holes in walls. Lame and cheap. Though it wasn't anything innovative, I enjoyed Q4 much more.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Everything int his thread gets a thumbs up from me. Doom3, Quake4, STALKER, and FEAR.

Some of these games should be relatively cheap, you may want to check STEAM for deals. I know ID Software put lots of it's games out there.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
Quake 4 I own, as I bought it for multiplayer purposes. I played through the single player campaign, wasnt too shabby.

FEAR or Stalker... fear or stalker..... hrrrrrmmmmm

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I haven't played Doom 3 either. In the past year or two when I tried to pick it up, retailers were still selling it for at least $30 while a bunch of stuff that came out after was already bargain bin priced. Sorry, I'm just not willing to shell out anything more than $20 to try it out.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Doom 3 was pretty good at the time...though better games have come out since then.

IMO, if you can't get it for under $20, I wouldn't buy it, it is not exactly new anymore.

I'd get the orange box especially if you have never played Halflife 2 before. My favorite single player game and if you buy the orange box you get half-life 2, HL2 episode 1 and episode 2, portal, and TeamFortress 2....all great games, by far the best you can get for your money.

But if you really want to stick to the 3 on your list, some would just depend on the price, assuming the same price for all 3, I'd probably go STALKER.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
I checked some sites and it looks like both Doom III and STALKER are going for $19.99. FEAR can be bought in two forms. Normal for $19.99 or the Platinum for $29.99.
I should just buy all three and then move on to TOB once I'm done with those. I know people will still be playing TF2 so I'm not worried about waiting for that game. :p

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Have you played Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay? It was released a year earlier but I'd choose that over FEAR any day. FEAR was so boring, so same old thing, I couldn't even make through half of the game.

Doom III was good enough to have some fun with some of the level bosses but make sure you use the flashlight mod throughout the game. Quake 4 was okay, good enough to finish, but just barely.

Stalker I haven't played.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

1) Doom III
2) S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
3) F.E.A.R.

?

Depends on what you want. Standard action packed FPS, go Doom3 or FEAR. Stalker is not a fast paced action game, and it took me a good 5-10 hours before I got totally hooked. Requires patience, but well worth it.

Oct 4, 2004
I'm a big fan of FEAR's firefights. Doom 3 was an alright game (assuming you weren't expecting the next great benchmark for revolutionary gameplay). The Fear Platinum Edition has got the original game plus the two expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate). Pretty good value for $30.

But if you want a solid recommendation that many people aren't familiar with, try Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Guaranteed to entertain and capture your attention.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
10 Walk into room
20 Monster jumps out behind you
30 Shoot monster
40 goto 10

You've just experienced Doom 3.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
10 Walk into room
20 Monster jumps out behind you
30 Shoot monster
40 goto 10

You've just experienced Doom 3.

I'm guessing you forgot the shift key for 1)