Info Doom Classic RT

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Th- that's... a massive difference.

Well I'm glad I got a 3080 just recently, I'll check this out for sure. Thanks for the heads up about this!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
This is actually a great way to reintroduce classic games to a modern audience, and would be a kind of cool "path forward" for the remaster crowd to refresh and gauge interest in older IPs.

I know we've seen it with Quake 2 already, but I hope this trend picks up steam and branches out from just iD games.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
More DOS games deserve to be RT-fied. May not make a huge difference visually but at least new gamers will get to see what us old timers used to get so excited about.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Wonderful, now we can go back to playing a 1993 game at its original 35FPS. :rolleyes:

This is garbage just like Quake 2 RTX. You can't just "flip a switch" because assets need to be designed for ray tracing, otherwise things look wrong.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Alright I tried it earlier today, it's VERY good.

There's also a bunch of extra options to adjust the amount of Bloom and so on in the graphics settings (among the usual DOOM options). I only played the first 3 maps but yeah, it's very good. It helps a lot with the atmosphere, and seeing light reflections on floor tiles on original DOOM assets is quite the gaming moment for me lol. At this point, bring RTX effects to Duke Nukem 3D and we're set, really (of course, argument is 'why not just doing this to all oldschool / early 3D or semi-3D games' and I agree but we all know it won't happen for the majority of the games we'd wish to see that happen for).

Note, however, that the 'regular' DOOM is still just fine to my eyes. It's easy for me to say this though, since I pretty much started exploring 'PC gaming' with DOOM. So firing up DOS DOOM, up to GzDOOM variations with mods or whatever, I don't mind. It's DOOM, it still kicks ass to this day; ray-tracing or not, doesn't matter in the end.

BUT... it's fun and pretty to see our good 'ol DOOM with these new visual effects. It's not the end of the world, really. It's just 'physics-accurate' lightning. To be honest if back in 1993 we happened to have hardware to produce this same sort of lightning in video games chances are it would have been part of the then-gaming-industry standards and id Software would have implemented it in anyway. To me it's a bit like saying that not all games should be open world but open world gaming only arrived progressively and 'naturally' as the hardware and memory storage improved, so games got bigger (even though the very concept of 'going any direction as you please' even in a 2D game existed for a while; just taking the original NES Legend of Zelda as an example speaks for itself).

Point is, it was bound to happen, basically. Be it now 'because why not', or back then because back then it would have been part of the industry and possible in the 90s; it would have happened back then anyway. So anyways, I digress a little here but the MAIN point is: Hey, this is fun, it's DOOM, and these new visual effects are actually contributing to the game's atmosphere, really like it.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It looks like this is a completely separate sourceport project from the ZDoom projects? While it probably still needs a lot more work, and proper support for custom WADs and mods, it is cool that this additional project is being worked on to add new features. Also, for those who don't know, GZDoom supports Vulkan now for a while :p

Oct 9, 1999
wow i can only imagine how much i would have redacted playing doom like this when i was younger. very cool!

No profanity allowed in the tech forums.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I dunno, this sounds like a deal-breaker to me. I mean, less than 5000FPS? Why that's practically a slide-show!

By enabling raytracing the framerate reportedly drops from 5000 FPS to 239 FPS on RTX 3090 system.

• Haha

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Installed. Looks nice. Thanks.

FYI - Heretic.wad does not work. I was hoping it would have worked with all wads.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Still too fugly but the music is nice

so redactedof this thread.

Abbreviated profanity in tech still isn't allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Zeze

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

The others mentioned/linked to from there are equally amusing. I.e. Doom running on a customisable keytop on a keyboard, but I reckon the best one of all of them is Doom running within Doom.

Reactions: Shmee