DOOM 2016 on a Q9650

Somniferum

Apr 8, 2004
I was skeptical, but decided to take a chance. My system is ancient, but upgraded to the hilt. Kind of funny actually. I'm running Windows 10 on a Gigabyte EP45-DS3L mobo, with a Q9650 chip I bought off Ebay for $100 overclocked to 3.8 GHz. 8 Gigs of DDR2 RAM, and a GTX 660 video card. Yeah, I know. Outdated trash. But ... you wouldn't believe how great DOOM runs in High mode! I get around 45 FPS average, and it never drops below 20 even in the most intense battles (so far). If anyone is interested I can upload some video. Just thought I'd post this since I had no luck searching for similar info before taking the plunge. If you're cursed with an ancient system like mine and have the DOOM itch, go for it! I'm amazed at how scalable the ID Tek6 engine has turned out to be.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
That is awesome! Quick question for you, what settings did you have to do in order to OC that chip to 3.8ghz? I cannot OC my secondary computer, which is very similar and has the exact same motherboard, with any level of stability. Must be a setting I'm doing wrong. Did you OC the RAM too?

Feb 4, 2009
Very similar set up to my machine, the Q9650 was a beast of a processor.
Only thing I've encountered that is leaning more in the unplayable field is Star Citizen it works but it can become un-enjoyable.

Somniferum

Apr 8, 2004
That is awesome! Quick question for you, what settings did you have to do in order to OC that chip to 3.8ghz? I cannot OC my secondary computer, which is very similar and has the exact same motherboard, with any level of stability. Must be a setting I'm doing wrong. Did you OC the RAM too?

I have the FSB set to 423MHz with the multiplier set to 9. Core voltage 1.232v. The memory is also overclocked since it normally runs at 400MHz. I had problems with heat at first, but after replacing the cooler with a CoolerMaster Vortex Plus that I picked up for $30, the temps never exceed 70 degrees under full load. The heatpipes really make a difference.

So far it plays everything I throw at it, especially since I switched from a GTX 550 to the GTX 660 with 2Gb of VRAM (grabbed it on sale for $110 at Microcenter). Tempted to get a 970 or something with 4Gb but pretty sure the CPU would bottleneck it. It plays the Witcher 3, GTA V, and now Doom with no issues. Not bad for a machine I first built in 2008 -- it's lasted through the entire Obama administration! (Thanks, Obama!) :)

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Very similar set up to my machine, the Q9650 was a beast of a processor.
Only thing I've encountered that is leaning more in the unplayable field is Star Citizen it works but it can become un-enjoyable.

Well you have to remember where Star Citizen was originally aimed. It was to bring back the PC only development model of pushing the hardware. I mean seriously, the last time I can remember specifically purchasing an upgrade to my PC's for a game was back in 1995-1996 timeframe. After that, game development had moved onto the consoles with just about everything coming out being designed to run on a console. We have been stuck for the last 20 or so years with that and are only now finally coming out of those days with certain games.