Don't you wish you bought this stock?

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
it's called a pump & dump. It'll crash next week when the original holders sell it, leaving all the people that bought in after they got the spam to buy it high & dry.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21
I wish I bought IBM and Microsoft back in the 70's.
Microsoft didn't IPO until 1986; and I suspect IBM stock probably languished until Lou Gerstner cleaned house in the 1990s.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: compnovice
I will stick with Home Depot... At least they pay their employees well :p

WTF??? $8-$10/hr? Supervisers averaging $11/hr. $400/mo for family insurance. Hardly any sick or vacation time, no comp time, no employee discount, no differential pays, etc. How exactly is that paying well? Unless of coure you're the CEO, then you get paid in inverse proporion to how good of a job you do.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

WTF??? $8-$10/hr? Supervisers averaging $11/hr. $400/mo for family insurance. Hardly any sick or vacation time, no comp time, no employee discount, no differential pays, etc. How exactly is that paying well? Unless of coure you're the CEO, then you get paid in direct proportion to your education, prior success, and network

Fixed

Oops...I mean...uh...f*ck all the richies!

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

WTF??? $8-$10/hr? Supervisers averaging $11/hr. $400/mo for family insurance. Hardly any sick or vacation time, no comp time, no employee discount, no differential pays, etc. How exactly is that paying well? Unless of coure you're the CEO, then you get paid in direct proportion to your education, prior success, and network

Fixed

Oops...I mean...uh...f*ck all the richies!

Actually this one wasn't my usual anti-corporate rant. After speaking to a large number of home depot employees (worked there part-time nights for extra money during college) there is an almost absolute consensus that the company went downhill immediately after Nardelli took over.

As he took over stock was at an all time high of about $53/share. Within two years it dove to about $25 a share and has yet to recover (hovering around $40). During his time as CEO numerous jobs were lost. Full time employees were cut by almost 1/4 with 16hr/wk part timers picking up the slack (so that no benefits would be paid). Many benefits were dropped completely, and remaining benefit costs have almost doubled in the last 7 years. Average hiring wages actually went DOWN as cost of living increased as usual. Raises were drastically reduced and when given were about 1/2 of previous amounts.

Those are just the tangible costs. In general morale is down, people are irritated and don't support the company any more. Attrition is up as the job becomes another worthless minimum wage service sector time sink with no value to employees. If the new CEO doesn't focus on employees I would be happy to bet a months pay that Home Depot goes tits up, or nearly so, within the next 3-5 years. No matter what business people think the bottom line of EVERY business is employees. Once they're gone you're done, and you can't outsource service industry to India.

Now, in general, yes, CEO's are overpaid 99% of the time...but then so are entertainers, sports figures, lawyers, politicians, etc. So even if Nardelli hadn't been a total loser he still wasn't paid in direct proportion to anything, except the stupidity of the public and the greed of the new capitalist aristocracy.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
when i read the title i expected this to be a PAB thread.

say aren't we do another "I'm rich! look at me!" pab thread? any bets on what he is going to "buy" now?is it another gun!? A new car!? or is he going to wreck another one!? ohh im excited.