Don't you hate it when stuff condenses all over your evaporator?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
:p

Left the fridge door cracked open the other night, didn't notice it until I went to get something out later the next afternoon.

Over the last few days, the fridge just hasn't seemed.. normal. Liquids in the fridge part seemed warmer than usual, and some ice cream that I had in the freezer was extremely soft.

I had also noticed that every time I passed the fridge, it was on.. causing me to eye it wearily. Overall, it seemed that perhaps our 20 year old refrigerator was on its way out. A test seemed to confirm it, as temperatures in the freezer were only 21ºF. Normal freezer temperature is -4ºF.

I did remember the door being left open, though.. and the above thought occurred to me. So I shut it off. After a couple of hours, I went back into the kitchen.. and was greeted with a big puddle of water emanating from under the fridge. :frown:

Fired 'er back up.. Already down to -1.1ºF in the freezer after only 1/2 hour. :D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
If you have sh!t on there, maybe you're confusing the evaporator with the toilet. Might be time to cut back on the booze.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo
If you have sh!t on there, maybe you're confusing the evaporator with the toilet. Might be time to cut back on the booze.

:laugh:

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
:shocked:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Is that when the sh!t turns from a vapor to a liquid? Man, I hope I don't get any of that sh!t vapor on my evaporator.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
Frost Free, FTW?
It is a frost free model. This could happen to any refrigerator.

Leaving the door open exposed the system to warm, moist air. Ice began building up on the evaporator - So much ice, that the fridge wasn't getting cold enough to cycle off anymore... which caused the ice buildup to remain. Only after it was shut off, and the ice melted, could normal operation return.

Same thing can happen to air conditioners as well.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Damn man, I choked on ice cream just now....have to clean my monitor now! :laugh:

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
Still seems a little weird that your defrost cycle didn't unclog the coils. Are you sure the defrost heater coil is functioning?