Don't ruin YOUR dream, get your vaccine!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jon was NOT fully vaccinated. He'd had plenty opportunity to do that. He's prepared all his life to be a great on the PGA tour, to win tournaments, he's former world number one PGA professional. He was playing the best golf of his life yesterday, on the cusp of lapping the field on his way to his second consecutive win of Jack Nicklaus's Memorial Tournament in Dublin Ohio. He'd come in close contact with a person who came down with Covid-19. The PGA rule is that if a player hasn't been fully vaccinated and they've come in close contact with a person who's contracted the virus they need to take daily tests for a period to remain eligible to play. Jon started testing on Tuesday, was negative every day until yesterday, when two tests confirmed his diagnosis, positive. He jeopardized himself by not getting vaccinated.

DUBLIN, Ohio (AP) — Jon Rahm walked off the 18th green at the Memorial after tying the 54-hole record and building a six-shot lead, leaving him on the cusp of joining Tiger Woods as the only repeat winners.

Moments later, he doubled over and said in anguish, “Not again!”

Rahm was notified he tested positive for the coronavirus, knocking him out of the tournament.

A command performance, that included a hole-in-one Saturday morning to complete his second round, went to waste.

The PGA Tour said the Spaniard had come in close contact with a person who was COVID-19 positive, meaning he could play provided he was tested daily. Every test came back negative except the one after his second round that was completed Saturday morning.

The positive test was confirmed, the results returned as he was on the 18th green. Rahm was been asymptomatic all week.

Edit: He had been offered the vaccine by the PGA Tour, as were all the other players in their tournaments, see post #6 below:

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What if my dream is to take out as many idiots as possible by spreading a deadly, yet preventable, disease? You take care of your dreams, I’ll tend to mine.
Well, then, you're fucking with anthrax, ebola. To each his own.

Just remember, time wounds all heels.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Am I wrong for feeling exactly zero sympathy? :rolleyes:

What an id10+.... although since it seems it's only costing him a big pile of money he got off easy.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, he's 26, resides in Phoenix, AZ. He's a Spaniard, so maybe isn't a US citizen.

Maybe he wasn't eligible to get vaccinated??? [Edit: No, he was, see below] I'm not seeing anything online about that aspect of this OMG story. Still, seems like people who want to be vaccinated, at least those over 12 can be in the US, but I don't know for a fact in his case.
Am I wrong for feeling exactly zero sympathy? :rolleyes:

What an id10+.... although since it seems it's only costing him a big pile of money he got off easy.
He issued a measured and very PC statement, I suspect crafted by his team as much as him.

He has said he will miss seeing his family more than anything. He hasn't seen his parents in 16 months. He's asymptomatic. I have no idea how long he will have to wait until acting like an "ordinary Joe."

Found this:

Well, well... guilty as charged:
There’s also little hassle to getting it in the first place. Tour player apologists will point out that traveling pros are too busy to fit a vaccine appointment into their schedules. Bunk. The tour offers vaccinations on Fridays to players missing the cut and on Sundays after their rounds. If you want it, you can get it.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My dream is to have another 2020. Last year was amazing. Best in recent memory. Everything's getting shitted up again now.

• Wow

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
"Taking off" isn't the right phrase, but it needs to be handled before it gets out of control. Fucking English ivy is my current nemesis. Also have a bit of bittersweet, but I've been doing alright keeping that under control at my place. That shit's insidious. It does a great job of camouflaging itself, til one day you look at a tree/shrub, and think "WTF did THAT come from?!". Damn I hate bittersweet...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I appreciate athleticism. But it certainly doesn't make you smart.
He proved Blake's maxim, "if others had not made mistakes before us, we would make them." The unvaccinated PGA tournament players will be lining up for their shots now. He's the poster boy for "don't do what I did... ouch!"

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Gotta say, it was nice going into Lowe's without a mask now that I'm fully vaccinated. Some places still have unqualified "mask required" signs, and I don't blame them one bit, so I still wear a mask in those stores.
"Taking off" isn't the right phrase, but it needs to be handled before it gets out of control. Fucking English ivy is my current nemesis. Also have a bit of bittersweet, but I've been doing alright keeping that under control at my place. That shit's insidious. It does a great job of camouflaging itself, til one day you look at a tree/shrub, and think "WTF did THAT come from?!". Damn I hate bittersweet...
Yep, got a bunch of that going at my new place, the long term plan definitely involves getting rid of it. This past Sunday I removed all the ivy above eye level on one of the pines.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
My dream is to be the best poster on ATOT. A damn legand!

This is why I got the J&J vaccine. I've got to be the greatest. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My dream is to be the best poster on ATOT. A damn legand!

This is why I got the J&J vacxcine. I've got to be the greatest. :)

Keep dreaming?? ;)

thats-a-dream

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Jon didn't let covid ruin his dreams. He won US open yesterday.
:p

That is funny, I DVR'd yesterday's round, haven't watched it yet, finished watching Saturday's coverage (10 hours!!!!!!!!!!!). So, spoiled, but I will watch it anyway, I figure. Yeah, he was one of a handful of players with a shot at the trophy after Saturday. The joke is, yeah, the US Open is a much much much bigger deal than winning The Memorial! The NBC/Golf Channel commentators Saturday were saying that he wanted to win so badly, it hampered his chances. He evidently fought off Koepka, DeChambeau, Johnson, Henley, Oesthuiven, McIlroy. Bravo!

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Anyone know if he got the vaccine?

I didn't see much yesterday but congrats to him on the win.

nCred

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2003
:p

That is funny, I DVR'd yesterday's round, haven't watched it yet, finished watching Saturday's coverage (10 hours!!!!!!!!!!!). So, spoiled, but I will watch it anyway, I figure. Yeah, he was one of a handful of players with a shot at the trophy after Saturday. The joke is, yeah, the US Open is a much much much bigger deal than winning The Memorial! The NBC/Golf Channel commentators Saturday were saying that he wanted to win so badly, it hampered his chances. He evidently fought off Koepka, DeChambeau, Johnson, Henley, Oesthuiven, McIlroy. Bravo!
lol, sorry 'bout that :grimacing: