Don't know what to think...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
I interviewed for a job last week twice. On Friday they called to offer me the job, I accepted, we went over some details over the phone and the person I spoke to told me I start on the 25th. Yesterday she called me again to inform me that my start date for training might get pushed back to the first week of July. She also asked if I had received the official offer letter they sent me in the mail yet, and I hadn't. The conversation ended with her confirming some details about the pay and the possibility of not starting until July.

This morning I get an e-mail from her saying, "Thank you for speaking with me recently regarding opportunities. I wanted to let you know that at this time we are moving ahead with other candidates for the position. I'll keep your resume and will be in touch should anything change on our end. Thanks for your interest & best of luck in your job search."

So immediately I thought, what the hell... I guess that's why I didn't get the offer letter. She probably wasn't aware at the time that it wasn't sent because they chose someone else.

But guess what arrived in the mail today... the offer letter of course, confirming their offer and my acceptance of the position with all the details of my employment, my start date, supervisor name, pay rate, hours, benefits, etc.

Now I can't get a hold of anybody who knows anything... I keep getting voice mail when I call people. I don't know what to think... does it sound like I have the job or not?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sounds like signals are crossed. Is "her" HR chic?

If so then deal only with her. Say you received the written offer letter and you accept and will start on the agreed upon date. Do this in writing, e-mail and phone. That will settle it.

Or in all honesty you could just show up acting like you have the job. You have a written offer of employment.

L

Lola

To me, it sounds like she emailed the wrong thing to you.
I would call her, tell her you want an update about the training and to confirm that you did get the offer letter.
Because you got that letter, i would have no doubt they/she just emailed the wrong person.

Congrats to you on the new job though! :)

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
Sounds like signals are crossed. Is "her" HR chic?

If so then deal only with her. Say you received the written offer letter and you accept and will start on the agreed upon date. Do this in writing, e-mail and phone. That will settle it.

Yes, she's from the HR department. Her job title is "IT Recruiter." The offer letter and the e-mail I got this morning are both from her.

IamBusby

Dec 12, 2001
I'd say you've got the job.

It's a much easier mistake to email you the wrong email advising better luck next time than for you getting a call confirming start dates and getting a written confirmation in the post.

Sign the forms and send them back :)

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Strange.

Well, offer letters are not contracts so they can back out of the deal even on your first day of the job.

Maybe somebody else they wanted had a change of heart and let them know that they want the job. You could've been second place.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Glad to hear that you all think the e-mail was a mistake so far. This is only the second job I've ever interviewed for... if I get this I'll be 2 for 2. :) But that being the case, I started to panic this morning because with my lack of experience I wasn't sure if this kinda thing just happens sometimes or what...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
Strange.

Well, offer letters are not contracts so they can back out of the deal even on your first day of the job.

Maybe somebody else they wanted had a change of heart and let them know that they want the job. You could've been second place.

I thought that might be a possibility... but then I remembered when I had my second interview the receptionist told me four people were supposed to interview that day and two didn't show up. Then during the interview I was told there were 2-3 positions available. Plus the company uses proprietary stuff... so I would think it would be a slim chance that someone with more experience swooped in and took the position.

I dunno... could be settled fairly easily if I could get through to someone there, or if they'd return my calls. :confused:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
Is there a problem with just e-mailing or calling her to find out? It's not like you won't get a hold of her eventually.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: mrjminer
Is there a problem with just e-mailing or calling her to find out? It's not like you won't get a hold of her eventually.

Yeah, the problem is I get her voice mail and no reply from e-mail.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Thanks for the kind words and the humor. :) Got it cleared up just now. What happened was I was being considered for two different positions within the company. They offered me one, and when they filled the other one my name was still on the list of candidates so the e-mail was mistakenly sent to me too.