Don't get sick, Government taking away your Sudafed in the name of the War on Drugs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I don't think it's anyone's business if I have a stuffy nose. This is ridiculous.

EDIT: Limitting the amount you can buy at one time isn't a problem, and I don't use sudafed, so it won't affect me. I just think it is ridiculous money is getting wasted on legislation like this. Similar to why I don't use my credit card at the bookstore...

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

So who is harmed by purchasing more then 300 pills of Sudafed at one time?

Who do you know who purchases 300 pills of Sudafed at one time? Even at 10/day that is a month's worth. Don't mind that's probably more than dosage suggestions

But again - nothing i've said so far is to be construed as support of the legislation. I'm just pointing out the fact that there really isn't anyone who doesn't have criminal intent that will "suffer."

CkG

Maybe there is a hot deal and they want to go sell the pills on ebay. Or how about if your supply of Sudafed get destoryed or stolen you would be out of luck until next month.
a small price to pay to reduce the availability of this permanently damaging drug.

Well I don't really like the principle of it but I have to concede that meth is a huge problem and if i had to sign something and show some ID I really wouldn't care.
this is, I'm sure, the view of most people. Although it's not a good thing to have big-brother look at you closer, we also need to reduce the production of meth.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
I don't think it's anyone's business if I have a stuffy nose. This is ridiculous.

I agree.

Meth can be made by many methods. It isnt hard to do.

BTW Cad, there isn't a substitute for pseudoephedrine. There was, but it was removed from the market years ago.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Funny thing is that people will just find another way to get high.....glue, paint thinner, spray can paint, etc........ Another funny thing is that the reason why they are going after cold-pills and cough syrup is because kids have been drinking whole bottles worth or taking massive amounts of pills to get high off them. A kid can get a meth type high by just downing a whole bottle of cough syrup.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith

I agree.

BTW Cad, there isn't a substitute for pseudoephedrine. There was, but it was removed from the market years ago.

Yes - What I was saying by that is there are other OTC drugs that can be used to make meth - other than sudafed and cold medicines. They were yapping about it on the radio today because Iowa is thinking about doing the same thing and some stores have already put it behind the counter voluntarily.

CkG

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Funny thing is that people will just find another way to get high.....glue, paint thinner, spray can paint, etc........

As long as people have pain their will be drugs, whether they are made from Miller,Wythe, or a shed in the woods.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: rahvin
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
As a sufferer of massive allergies I use Sudafed when Claratin isn't available to me.I don't like the side effects of the drug (shaking,feeling dizzy and odd)but compared to what happens when I can't breath it needs to be readily available to me.

It will always be available, there are simply too many people that need it. They are just restricting how much you can purchase at a time. No person needs more than 300tabs a month, that's 10 per day. If you took that much you would probably poison yourself.

Well I only use it when my allergies are unbearable,the stuff opens the airways but it makes me feel dreadful otherwise.I'd have no problem signing for my purchase.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

I agree.

Yes - What I was saying by that is there are other OTC drugs that can be used to make meth - other than sudafed and cold medicines. They were yapping about it on the radio today because Iowa is thinking about doing the same thing and some stores have already put it behind the counter voluntarily.

CkG

Gotcha now.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
This is all simple economics. Make something illegal, puts it into the black market, raises the price until supply equals demand. The problem with mind altering drugs is that the demand is relatively inelastic (small change in quantity demanded as price changes) and the supply is relatively elastic (large change in quantity supplied as price changes). This is why the 40+ year "drug war" has had little effect. The junkies are going to get what they crave regardless of how many of our garages they burgle. The notion that we can stamp out drugs by making them illegal has been proven false. A much safer and economically sound way of approaching the problem is to have the government dispense the drugs. the individuals who want to wreck their lives are able to do so relatively inexpensively, while not impairing the life of those of us who choose not to do drugs. Currently we are making all the wrong choices.

MisterMe

Apr 16, 2002
What ever happened to personal responiblity cad?

Oh it's still here - Just think of it this way.... "every member of anything greater than, or equal to the middle class will hereby be held personally responsible for every low life out there that can't pay his own bills"...

AEB

Jun 12, 2003
Its not a tragedy, people dont need drugs, they tell themselves they do, i never, and i mean never, get sick or injured because i dont take drugs if i get clogged sinus or if i sneeze ( i think this has to do with my immune system getting stronger instead of relying on medicine, but its just a conjecture). People with bad alergies can still get perscriptions, so weather or not i agree with the law is a non-issue because noone is getting hurt.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Another funny thing is that the reason why they are going after cold-pills and cough syrup
no, the problem isn't kids catching an OTC high! Although inhalants is a major problem, and much much more destructive than meth is, it's NOT the basis of this control layer.

The problem is that sudafed is used in the production of methamphetamines, which is 1.) made in very un-safe circumstances, and 2.) is highly addictive 3.) causes permanent brain damage to those who use it

If they where trying to keep people from catching an OTC buzz they'd also make Dramamine/antihistamines harder to get in bulk.

May 10, 2001

all of those methods require obtaining ephedrine, usually from de-buffering pseudo-ephedrine as ephedrine is controlled. If we make bulk-purchases of pseudo-ephedrine harder to get we'll hurt the mom-and-pop C10H15N-factories.

which is good for everybody.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
who needs a 300 pill supply of Sudafed?
Remember that question next time the liberals try increasing taxes because who needs more then 20000 dollars a year, or when they want to ban SUV because who needs a gaint SUV that gets 5 mpg and would kill everyone in another car if it was involved in a accident, or who needs a gun, which of courses is criminals.

all of those methods require obtaining ephedrine, usually from de-buffering pseudo-ephedrine as ephedrine is controlled. If we make bulk-purchases of pseudo-ephedrine harder to get we'll hurt the mom-and-pop C10H15N-factories.

If they can't buy pseudo-ephedrine they will just steal it either from the pharmice or from your home.

May 10, 2001
Remember that question next time the liberals try increasing taxes because who needs more then 20000 dollars a year, or when they want to ban SUV because who needs a gaint SUV that gets 5 mpg and would kill everyone in another car if it was involved in a accident, or who needs a gun, which of courses is criminals.

If they can't buy pseudo-ephedrine they will just steal it either from the pharmacy or from your home.
1.) no one is going to have enough in their home to make any viable quantity of ephedrine, so your second argument doesn't stand up

2.) if you are going to rob a pharmacy their are much more profitable and 'entertaining' drugs to rob!

your argument in no way indicates we shouldn't restrict some of the essential components used to make this awful drug.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
1.) The dealers would just require their meth heads bring back how ever many pills it takes to get high. I'm sure if they break into enough homes they can get it.

2.) Well this would just give them one more thing to take while their stealing the drugs and make break in more profitiable.

Do you honestly believe that this law will reduce the amount of meth used?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

No - now don't be an ass. It is a legitimate question - not a statement either way on this issue or some higher political or idealogical innuendo. It was just a plain question. Who needs 300 pills of Sudafed?

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

EDIT: Limitting the amount you can buy at one time isn't a problem, and I don't use sudafed, so it won't affect me. I just think it is ridiculous money is getting wasted on legislation like this. Similar to why I don't use my credit card at the bookstore...

But CAD & Co are perfectly fine with tracking your every purchase and movement while the Criminal element is still unaffected.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

But CAD & Co are perfectly fine with tracking your every purchase and movement while the Criminal element is still unaffected.

Here is yet another LIE by dave. Sure are racking up a list of lies dave...

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

More Laws that only affect the honest Law abiding citizens as enforcement cannot possibly keep up with the Laws that are already on the books and more being added at an insane rate. We will reach a point where "Law abiding citizens" say WTF and will no longer be "Law abiding Citizens".

"You say you want a revolution, You say you got a real solution, You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know, We all want to change the world, We all want to change your head"

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002

No - now don't be an ass. It is a legitimate question - not a statement either way on this issue or some higher political or idealogical innuendo. It was just a plain question. Who needs 300 pills of Sudafed?

CkG

No one needs 300 pills of Sudafed. Just like no one needs an SUV or lots of money.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
O.K., here goes.

I live in the "Meth Capitol of the World", Little Rock, AR. There is not a week that goes by when some idiot burns down his home making Meth. Since 2001, when Arkansas strictly regulated the transfer, possession and sale of Pseudoepedrine, epedrine, PPA (now pulled by the FDA), and all substances containing more than trace amounts of these products, along with all the precursor chemicals used in the manufacture thereof, the price on the street has dramatically risen, and the supply has dropped. Crack on the other hand has dropped in price, and the supply has increased. The measures worked, but as some of us know, the desire to get high is strong in some, and if you take away one drug, you will find that they switch to another.

It's like the childs "gopher" game. as soon as you smack down one drug, another pops up. Going after one drug then another, is mostly futile, and in the end, it all comes down to responsibility. The govt. has a responsibility to protect it citizens, even when sometimes it's from themselves. It may seem that the Pseudoephedrine regulation is worthless, but NOT regulating it would be reckless. To err on the side of caution is always preferable to trying to fix a problem after the fact.

Aren't most on this board screaming that 9/11 should have not happened, and that our Govt. should have done more before the fact? Now the same people say that we should do nothing until this problem blows out of control, then pick up the pieces....................?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: maluckey
O.K., here goes.

I live in the "Meth Capitol of the World", Little Rock, AR. There is not a week that goes by when some idiot burns down his home making Meth. Since 2001, when Arkansas strictly regulated the transfer, possession and sale of Pseudoepedrine, epedrine, PPA (now pulled by the FDA), and all substances containing more than trace amounts of these products, along with all the precursor chemicals used in the manufacture thereof, the price on the street has dramatically risen, and the supply has dropped. Crack on the other hand has dropped in price, and the supply has increased. The measures worked, but as some of us know, the desire to get high is strong in some, and if you take away one drug, you will find that they switch to another.

It's like the childs "gopher" game. as soon as you smack down one drug, another pops up. Going after one drug then another, is mostly futile, and in the end, it all comes down to responsibility. The govt. has a responsibility to protect it citizens, even when sometimes it's from themselves. It may seem that the Pseudoephedrine regulation is worthless, but NOT regulating it would be reckless. To err on the side of caution is always preferable to trying to fix a problem after the fact.

Aren't most on this board screaming that 9/11 should have not happened, and that our Govt. should have done more before the fact? Now the same people say that we should do nothing until this problem blows out of control, then pick up the pieces....................?

Get a grip, that is not what anyone is saying.

The money can be spent much more wisely than useless paper with no real enforcement to back it up other than handstringing honest people.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
"Who needs 300 pills of Sudafed?"

I used to buy it that quantity, for convenience and cost savings. It isn't necessary, though, but one minor point that does bug me is that some retailers are using the issue of restrictions on pseudophrene to raise prices.

I used to buy packs of 96 store brand pseudophrene for less than $4. Now the largest size the same store sells is a 48 pack for about $3. That's a price increase of 50%.

Not the end of the world, but it's annoying and doesn't seem justified.