Don't expect the search for WMD anytime soon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
you dont need massive manpower to find these things, just good intelligence. and i find it hard to believe that after nearly 10,000 iraqi pows, civilians that would be more than happy to tell a thing or two about where the regime had hidden things, high ranking military officers, republican guards that have surrendered (they most likely would have been the users of the weapons), not one single bit of good evidence yet.

how do you think we found those seven pow's?

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
not to mention the incredibly great intelligence (so great that it justified a war) that we had proving the existence of WMD. We are not really looking at 2000 suspected sites. More like sites that our intelligence pointed out to us, cross verified with the sites that informants point out. Ought to make a very managable number, even at 10 sites a day!

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The need to find the WMD ASAP, so that Iraq can be declared rid of WMD in order to lift the sanctions.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
The need to find the WMD ASAP, so that Iraq can be declared rid of WMD in order to lift the sanctions.

HAHAHA...oh my...I forgot about that! Wow...great point SuperTool!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: phillyTIM

Great point that illustrates clearly how inept and slow of foot the UN really is today....

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7

Great point that illustrates clearly how inept and slow of foot the UN really is today....

slow of foot? i thought you all said, it's "only" been three weeks. man, you guys just switch whenever it's convenient, i wish i could do that.

tbrooks40

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
WDM... Is this reason enough for us to declare war on another country? We have more WDMs than all the middle easter countries combined yet we invade a country b/c of it? NO, we are in Iraq for the oil and to destroy our tracks we left when gwb sr. was in office. Saddam could have been eliminated years ago in a matter of seconds - much like JFK. however, if we do it this way, we cannot rightfully control the resources in this country. It had to be war - it had to be now - w/ or w/o the UN.

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
I'm not for the war, but I do not understand the logic that it has anything to do with oil. There are many other sources of oil in the world, plus we were compelling Iraq to sell oil during sanctions anyway.

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
WMD, that is what this war is all about, lots and lots of WMD's, easy to find too, the UN inspectors were morons, the hundred of thousands of soldiers have found...... ehhh... none... but they will, give them time, the time the UN inspectors said they needed would have done nothing, the time the hundred of thousands soldiers need is another thing...

Blah, blah, blah, blah WMD, blah, Jihad, blah, blah, blah....

ShawnS

Nov 30, 2001
Frigging LOL! You people need to get off your soap boxes and let the military do their job. A great job they are doing in fact.

11 or 12 buried unaccounted for mobile chemlabs that were cleverly marked to be found later? That isn't a WMD... No not a chance. Never I am sure Saddam used them as mobile Ice Cream Trucks.
15 Missles found at the one airport, 1 having Nerve agent residue in the warhead. I am sure the residue was really Willy Wonka's Magical chocolate dust that makes everyone happy ummpa luumpas...

Not to mention, who knows how many were trucked to Syria.

They are there... They are finding them... slowly.... in between trying to not get shot, weeding out last pockets of resistance, control looting, setting up a government.... O yeah.. I mean... what is taking them so long.

Good Grief.

Mark

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: abu
About the WMD's,

If US has claimed Iraq has WMD's, and they are sure of it (from intelligence and such),
then why is it that they did not forward such critical intelligence to the UN inspectors?

why hasnt anyone answered this question yet?

MonkeyK

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
The US had no faith in the UN inspections. We were just as sure as Iraq that the other had spies amidst the inspections team.

But... with such incredible, great, all-seeing, omniscient intelligence justifying this war, we should have or should be shortly finding those WMD.

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ShawnS
Frigging LOL! You people need to get off your soap boxes and let the military do their job. A great job they are doing in fact.

11 or 12 buried unaccounted for mobile chemlabs that were cleverly marked to be found later? That isn't a WMD... No not a chance. Never I am sure Saddam used them as mobile Ice Cream Trucks.
15 Missles found at the one airport, 1 having Nerve agent residue in the warhead. I am sure the residue was really Willy Wonka's Magical chocolate dust that makes everyone happy ummpa luumpas...

Not to mention, who knows how many were trucked to Syria.

They are there... They are finding them... slowly.... in between trying to not get shot, weeding out last pockets of resistance, control looting, setting up a government.... O yeah.. I mean... what is taking them so long.

Good Grief.

Indeed, they are doing a great job defeating an entire nation in such a short time...

But WMD's ehhhh... nooooo, NONE so far, NONE, skip what the media has screamed about, NONE, give me ONE example that has turned out to hold water, nah, that's right, not ONE of the reported sites could be proven to be for real...

They are 100 times the amount of the inspectors, and what have they found, nothing... nothing at all... heh...

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MadRat
Be patient. People don't seem to understand the huge arsenals that are being uncoverable across Iraq, most notable in Baghdad itself. Marines and Army teams are noting their location by GPS and leaving huge stockpiles simply because they don't have to manpower, machinery or time to move them. Until Iraq is secured from a military standpoint, the real search for WMD is pretty well side-tracked.

Yet another armchair general...do we really need more of these "I'm next door neighbor's with Tommy Franks, I know his plan" posts?
rolleye.gif

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: MonkeyK
The US had no faith in the UN inspections. We were just as sure as Iraq that the other had spies amidst the inspections team.

But... with such incredible, great, all-seeing, omniscient intelligence justifying this war, we should have or should be shortly finding those WMD.

Yes, the US knew EXACLTLY where the WMD's were, no questions asked as they could not be answered, now.. eehhh... they have moved them of course... Or something...

And the UN were worthless as they did not find them, now the coalition cannot find them either, but they are still great, hoooo fvking rah...

ShawnS

Nov 30, 2001
You were probably one of the people that said the War would go on for a long time with huge urban battles and that the Iraqi people would standup and fight for their leader.

Now that those been proven wrong, you are moving on to your last straw.

They will be found..... But not on YOUR timeline... on the militaries timeline. Who knows, you probably wouldn't even be convinced once they DO find them.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa

Yet another armchair general...do we really need more of these "I'm next door neighbor's with Tommy Franks, I know his plan" posts?
rolleye.gif

How ever you see things. There were several posts all bitching about how no WMDs were found. The original post was a countertopic to their threads.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: tbrooks40
WDM... Is this reason enough for us to declare war on another country? We have more WDMs than all the middle easter countries combined yet we invade a country b/c of it? NO, we are in Iraq for the oil and to destroy our tracks we left when gwb sr. was in office. Saddam could have been eliminated years ago in a matter of seconds - much like JFK. however, if we do it this way, we cannot rightfully control the resources in this country. It had to be war - it had to be now - w/ or w/o the UN.

I think we have a nominee for "Ignorant Fool of the Year" award!

Go back to school kid.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: tbrooks40

I think we have a nominee for "Ignorant Fool of the Year" award!

Go back to school kid.

LOL. Where is this MacBaine character at?
:eek:

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
You were probably one of the people that said the War would go on for a long time with huge urban battles and that the Iraqi people would standup and fight for their leader.

They will be found..... But not on YOUR timeline... on the militaries timeline. Who knows, you probably wouldn't even be convinced once they DO find them.

This thread is quite amusing. It's interesting how so much can change in a matter of 90 days. We have no WMD and guerilla warfare going on. Surface to air missiles being launched and 1-2 soldiers dying per day.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

They're saying a year of occupation at least, and there are still pockets of resistance leading to the death of soldiers, still, a month after the end of the war.
There may not be huge battles, but there is death of soldiers, so obviously the Iraqi people are all happy.
rolleye.gif

The militaries timeline is how long? More or less time than the UN inspectors time?

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
funny how we're STILL waiting SOMETHING, ANYTHING of an WMD, MONTHS after the invasion now.

just as funny how the bush-lovers and neoconservatives have been dissapearing off the tech boards more and more after time goes by and no proof.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think you getting all frothy over this is what's funny. Sadaam had 12 years to hide his toys, and almost a full year to move them once the winds of war began to be taken seriously again. I'm sure these months and months of waiting must be hard on you; did you get equally as excited over the long wait for Sadaam to prove his compliance to the UN? Which, for the record, never happened.
Sadaam was (well, is) a psychopath with a streak of meglomania - he's not a retard. Were you expecting him to kindly deposit everything in a nice tidy pile for the Marines to happen upon? Personally, I'm with Masad on the whole matter: I think he had them moved to Syria or Libya, maybe both.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
funny how we're STILL waiting SOMETHING, ANYTHING of an WMD, MONTHS after the invasion now.

just as funny how the bush-lovers and neoconservatives have been dissapearing off the tech boards more and more after time goes by and no proof.

Yeah.....it's just like invasion of the body snatchers...........

rolleye.gif

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Just a week or so before the invasion, WE KNEW EXACTLY where the WMD's were. We had secret intelligence undercover in Iraq. Surely they had something, ANYTHING, in their crosshairs.

12 years to hide? what a joke. your argument falls flatter than a limp dvck.