Don't clean my grill, food is starting to taste amazing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spidey07, May 27, 2012.

1. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

You know about seasoning a cast iron skillet. Some people rarely clean their smokers other than a grim build up. Some places the griddle has decades of flavor in it and their burgers are world famous because and only because of that griddle.

Well I've been doing the same to my trusty weber charcoal grill for at least two years. No cleaning and there is a nice build up of burnt stuff on the actual grill surface (grate), at least 3-4 mm. I am really starting to notice that the flavor of the crust on everything I cook has an unbelievable flavor to it. Made some burgers last night and the browning and grill marks on the outside were out of this world good.

I don't think I'll ever clean my grill unless it gets unusable. I remember going to a cook out at a pretty good chef's house years ago and when he opened his grill it was coated in blackness. I thought he was crazy/lazy and just asked "guess you haven't gotten around to scrubbing it down, eh"

His answer - "don't ever clean your grill". It didn't make any sense at the time and thought he was crazy, but I'm a believer now.

2. NetWareHead

NetWareHead THAT guy

lol @ tag

So you don't clean the food surface of the grill and let it accumulate burnt on "stuff"? Or do you mean the inside of the grill, the walls, surfaces etc... within?

3. slag

slag Lifer

4. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Figured I'd nip that in the bud right there.

5. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

6. PottedMeat

PottedMeat Lifer

7. Fritzo

Fritzo Lifer

I have cast iron grates that haven't been cleaned since 1995 :D

8. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I've googled some and I gotta tell Alton Brown he's full of shit. gimme a dirty grill and all that flavor. Show me a BBQ master that cleans his smoker...show me one.

9. xSauronx

xSauronx Lifer

i dont think ive cleaned my smoker

i do clean my little mini weber, but i dont really get it shiny new clean, i just clean the leftover gunk off the grate

10. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

I wire brush the grate to keep it down some, otherwise it can get so thick it starts to ignite. Weber gas grills run hot enough to burn off a lot on it's own..

11. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

Well, smoking and grilling burgers are 2 different things..

12. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

If i domt clean mine, food sticks so bad its unreal. I charcoal so it tastes good enough, i dont need to orgasm just to eat some food from a dirty grill. Smoker or not

13. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Not for me. Hear me, I fully understand the difference between smoking at 225-250 and grilling (not really wanting to go there...trust me). But what I do is a combination of both, med-high direct heat (grilling) and still plenty of smoke rolling in the grill from the fat and yummies of burgers and seasonings past.

Not the same, I know, but my grill has been rocking on the flavor lately.

14. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

Up your heat, won't stick. If it sticks, heat to low or you're too early.

15. mizzou

mizzou Diamond Member

where do you store the dirty griddles to avoid attracting cockroaches and bugs?

16. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

You close the restaurant properly. You do know what a griddle is, right? It's not like you can move it.

As far as the GRILL, I just let it burn off whatever is in there before and after I'm done cooking. Grill is still very hot from tonights strip steaks a few hours ago.

17. mizzou

mizzou Diamond Member

Was thinking we were talking about these, except for the talk about BBQ joints

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LPGI3-16...8172729&sr=8-5

If you don't ever clean it or touch it up, I don't see how a cabinet will keep bugs off it

18. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I'm talking flat top griddle at a resaurant, waffle house style. Oh, and I don't clean what you linked to either other than some water and salt. Don't want to take the flavor away.

19. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

The burnt roaches are the secret ingredient.

As for sticking, if it's sticks, your gill isn't hot enough or your turning it over too soon. Food shrinks when it cooks so it will pull away from the grill by itself. A light coating of oil applied with a rag helps too.

20. eldorado99

eldorado99 Lifer

You're supposed to clean them?

21. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

I have one of those, my favorite thing to do with it is to use it with my turkey-fryer-burner and heat it super hot and make killer sliders!. I clean mine with blue dawn and hot water, I cant let it sit with hamburger grease all over it. Target carries 'em that's where I got mine..

22. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

damn you! after that i spent an hour watching al bundy insulting fat people :awe: