Donations for the people of Ukraine are desperately needed (Not a thread for political arguments / debate)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
As most of the world has unfortunately witnessed over the last week, the invasion of Ukraine has been unbelievably brutal to the citizens of that country. Entire neighborhoods, schools, medical facilities, and homes have been destroyed, forcing entire families to flee into neighboring countries as refugees. The latest estimates have this total being over 520,000, with the vast majority of this total being women and children. According to the U.N., this number could reach 4 million in the coming weeks.

Many families had to leave everything they own behind, and are in desperate need of financial support. If you are able to financially assist in supplying these refugees with necessities such as food, medicine, clothing, or shelter, I ask you to do what you can. They desperately need the world's financial support right now.

There are many good and trustworthy charities that you can choose from based on your personal beliefs (both faith and non-faith based options). Any charity that you choose to donate to can be reviewed both a BBB Charity and Donor Resources and Give.org. These sites will educate you on a charities' history, and on how much of what you give goes directly to the cause.

Give.org has a direct page for donations to the people of Ukraine here. They list twenty charities at the bottom that meet the BBB's Charity for Accountability Requirements.

Finally, there are many more charities out there that all have set Ukraine charities to help the citizens of Ukraine, however please make sure they are a legitimate charity before sending them donations. Please donate whatever you can to the charity of your choice.

5-jpg.58106

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
maybe a sticky is in order.
as a Rotarian, we have an independent arm that is responding directly to the refugee crisis. Please consider giving to Shelter box. it's a small team with huge resources that is deployed much like a rapid response military team with the mission of organizing the NGO community on the ground, within the crisis itself and working with the refugees themselves.

https://www.shelterboxusa.org/

thanks @UsandThem

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I don't have a job, so can't give money. But, I can give virtual warm hugs.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm I like the airbnb idea, I just went that way and booked a room. It's also more direct. GFM holds the money until the goal is met, and in some cases never even delivers it. This way I think they get the money right away.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Hmm I like the airbnb idea, I just went that way and booked a room. It's also more direct. GFM holds the money until the goal is met, and in some cases never even delivers it. This way I think they get the money right away.
GFM seems like a really crappy method to use when there are plenty of established organizations.

For anyone donating to existing organizations don't forget to apply for your company match if offered by your employers.

Reactions: Pohemi

McConvict

Mar 13, 2022
My friend lost everything when 2 artillery shells hit in front of her house in Nikolaev, destroying it and everything she had. I started a fundraiser to help her and her family get back on their feet. Please share this if you can. She's a very sweet girl and needs help

Link deleted.

Perknose
Forum Director

Want to help, folks? Here's a screenshot of but one legitimate and efficacious way:

1647262303723.png

Last edited by a moderator:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Another Game bundle, everything going to Ukrainian relief

Reactions: Captante

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I ended up getting refunded on my AirBnB since the person was not in a position to get the money. I presume they may have been displaced. My church is holding a special offering this Sunday so I etransfered them money for the fund.

They're donating it to MSC. So that's another potential way to send money.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I ended up getting refunded on my AirBnB since the person was not in a position to get the money. I presume they may have been displaced. My church is holding a special offering this Sunday so I etransfered them money for the fund.

They're donating it to MSC. So that's another potential way to send money.

I actually got a thank-you email back from the host I "stayed" with. :)

No idea if its fully legit but they said they were able to snag some food.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Charity Navigator has a list of highly rated charities. I'll donate to Direct Relief soon; their metrics are insanely good (99% of funds goes to programs!).

Reactions: Muse and Captante

TechYoda

Aug 21, 2019
In order to overcome the evil that has invaded the territory of Ukraine, the world must unite and help. Any help is extremely important. The world community and volunteers must make great efforts in order to win this war. It is also important for Ukrainians to unite for a common goal. By the way, I've recently read an article about the Renat Akhmetov Charitable Foundation on this resource. He does many good deeds without sparing any money, time or energy. Such help is very valuable! We believe that victory is close.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Do they have a GoFundMe for buying the Ukrainian army some new Javelins?

Yeah... I know that my tax dollars are already paying for these, but I was hoping for a cool souvenir in return. You know, like a piece of a blown-up Russian tank!

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I purchased a pack of tickets from the zoo to help feed the animals, and then donated to the gov Bank of Ukraine for the civilian help fund. There was another fund for the military as well that would accept donations from outside countries, but I don't have much income. I did what I could (this was a month ago or so).

There's been so much wanton and pointless destruction there, so much of it being residential, medical, infrastructure, etc. that it's going to require a lot of help from other nations, a lot of time and money to rebuild. There are still civilians there now though, struggling in far worse conditions than anything here. I wanted to help in any (small) way I could.