Donalds choice is barely a lawyer, and not qualified to be a judge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Is trump owing a favor to someone? Or expecting a favor from someone?

Because his last, unqualified nominee: (from the link):

Brett Talley, who was being lined up for a lifetime Alabama federal judgeship, had never tried a case and had only been practicing law for three years.
Mr Talley had been described by the American Bar Association as “not qualified” and drew criticism for failing to disclose he was married to a White House lawyer when asked about potential conflicts of interest. (he's married to Ann Donaldson, the chief of staff to White House counsel Don McGahn)

Maybe trump promised this White House lawyer he could get her husband a judgeship.

So where is this Peterson guy in the scope of trump's world?

Jan 25, 2011
There's the problem. The media reports this, irresponsibly, and people believe it. Why do you believe that?
Let’s start with the obvious. The man questioning him is a very conservative Trump supporting attorney, John Kennedy of LA. That is his analysis of the performance of Mr. Petersen. Next. The media consists of legal experts all drawing the same conclusion. This isn’t like the right wing media where a blogger makes a claim and everyone else all regurgitate it.

A motion in limine is a very basic premise. It applies to both civil and criminal trials. We aren’t talking about obscure practices here. This is almoat every trial that has ever taken place.

He also had no idea what the Daubert standard was. That’s pretty basic for admission of expert testimony in federal trials.

It’s not like this guy fumbled an answer. He couldn’t communicate an understanding of basic trial practices. Repeatedly.

Last edited:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Barely professional and not qualified is what conservatism is all about. Remember, conservative ideology is about sabotaging government (starve the beast, government is the problem, etc) not running it efficiently and professionally.

Reactions: wirelessenabled

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
A motion in limine is a very basic premise. It applies to both civil and criminal trials. We aren’t talking about obscure practices here. This is almoat every trial that has ever taken place.

It’s not like this guy fumbled an answer. He couldn’t communicate an understanding of basic trial practices. Repeatedly.

"basic" trial practices he would never have needed to remember before being nominated; and if they're so basic then they should be easy to re-learn.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
"basic" trial practices he would never have needed to remember before being nominated; and if they're so basic then they should be easy to re-learn.

But that indicates he knows nothing, so it isn't just about "they're so basic then they should be easy to re-learn".

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I was reading this thread with mild interest, but this comment is so damn stupid. Let him go learn to be a lawyer before we make him a judge! A judgeship isn't something where you learn as you go. Damn.

Jan 25, 2011
Or maybe he could have taken the time to prepare himself so he could communicate an understanding of basic legal concepts. You’d think that would be high on the list of things to do before a senate confirmation hearing for a judicial nominee.

Learning basic law while on the bench? No that’s just a stupid idea.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I was reading this thread with mild interest, but this comment is so damn stupid. Let him go learn to be a lawyer before we make him a judge! A judgeship isn't something where you learn as you go. Damn.
nuh uh. Most lawyers don't file motions or have any reason to know any of what was asked. The people wanting to be judges usually would, but maybe that guy had no reason to ever think he could be one. Maybe he's someone Trump randomly met at mar a lago and was like, "Ever thought about being a district court Judge? I could make you one" "Well, no, but now that you mention it..." There we go. Knowledge gap problem handled. Dumbass.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There's the problem. The media reports this, irresponsibly, and people believe it. Why do you believe that?
db4a8890cce2d7a6fbda62c9430876b1.jpg

Reactions: Victorian Gray

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
nuh uh. Most lawyers don't file motions or have any reason to know any of what was asked. The people wanting to be judges usually would, but maybe that guy had no reason to ever think he could be one. Maybe he's someone Trump randomly met at mar a lago and was like, "Ever thought about being a district court Judge? I could make you one" "Well, no, but now that you mention it..." There we go. Knowledge gap problem handled. Dumbass.
Now thats just poor. You should be putting far more effort into it.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I hire people for highly specialized association and sponsored cell captive insurance accounting. If someone came into an interview and said they didn't know what an asset was I wouldn't think that they were rusty on the basics and could pick up multi cell IBNR claim reserving consolidated up to a regulated parent entity on the fly.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

You clearly don't understand the idea of basic concepts. The way I see it, and how people are discussing this, is that it's the equivalent of an electrical engineer not knowing what Ohm's Law is.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
From the way the Repubs have been behaving themselves of late, I can easily see them hanging this guy out to dry as a distraction and to conjure an appearance of legitimacy in order to sneak those other young guns for hire under the wire.

Sort'a set the bar really low for some to make the other low quality far right opportunist sock puppets seem adequately qualified as it were.

That being said, we all know what the goal is for the Repubs and it may be redundant for me to repeat the obvious but I'll say it anyway.

The Repubs want to flood the judiciary with loyalist far right leaning judges that will permanently seat themselves for at least a couple of decades and "consrevatize" the nation through their rulings.

As I've stated previously, if you want to see what a far right corporate owned nation heavily influenced by fundamentalist Christians looks like just let the Repubs have things all their way.

Frightening to think about? Yeah, but that's we're headed with Trump, McConnell and Ryan leading the way, or so they think.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I love it when you go into these little meltdowns, haha. Either that or this is a really inept trolling attempt.

If he doesn’t know the basic stuff it’s likely there is a ton of more complicated stuff he doesn’t know that he will need to do the job. If he wants to go learn them and then come back maybe he will be confirmed then. Looks like he’s got some studying to do!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You clearly don't understand the idea of basic concepts. The way I see it, and how people are discussing this, is that it's the equivalent of an electrical engineer not knowing what Ohm's Law is.

Don’t worry though, Ohm’s law is easy to learn so I’m sure once he’s nailed that down he will be a great engineer.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013

If you're American then you were probably taught that memorization of facts=education, because of your worthless "k-12."

A judge needs to know how to apply a rule/law to some particular situation. That's it. Finding the the rules is the easy part, they're always readily available, and the parties will be doing most of the actual work anyway. He just needs to evaluate. What we'd need to know is whether he developed the necessary skills to analyze information and apply the general to the particular. If he received an acceptable score on the lsat, passed law school, as well as some bar exam, then chances are he can probably do this to some extent, though this probably wouldn't be the case if he only ever studied engineering.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Guys: He's trolling. And he's using incredibly stupid, obvious trolls to do it, but you keep falling for him.

Stop falling for him. Stop it.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
Guys: He's trolling. And he's using incredibly stupid, obvious trolls to do it, but you keep falling for him.

He is legitimately stupid, just like his buddies taj, bukshit, dsf, fdc, john connor and all the other retards I might have missed.

Reactions: Engineer

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004

I wanted to respond to him after his last comment but starting thinking the same. Nobody can be that ignorant, can they?

If he is legit, WOW...o_O MIND BLOWN.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I wanted to respond to him after his last comment but starting thinking the same. Nobody can be that ignorant, can they?

Read his postings.....either rather decent troll or incredibly ignorant. You choose. I like the ignorance angle....explains things he and the other members of the Axis of Willfully Witless post.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

IIRC, justoh is not in the states, eastern europe. His avatar is perfect, just read everything he says in Archers voice, makes more sense