Donald Trump's main goal? Kill off the old Republican establishment (ie: Mitch McConnell)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Trump's strategy appears to be pointed primarily at destroying the version of the Republican Party that was dominant before he entered politics in 2015.
What's more remarkable?
The vast majority of establishment types seem totally fine with it.

How did Trump accomplish this?
How did he convert so many Repubs into his mindless zealots in such a short period of time?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Maybe they already were.. ever think of that?

They don't want democracy, they want to destroy the people who're not like them. Nothing like a little dictatorship and pogroms for ethnic cleansing.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Trump's strategy appears to be pointed primarily at destroying the version of the Republican Party that was dominant before he entered politics in 2015.
What's more remarkable?
The vast majority of establishment types seem totally fine with it.

How did Trump accomplish this?
How did he convert so many Repubs into his mindless zealots in such a short period of time?
Before he came along, the rest of the GOP still thought they had to hide their malice. He showed them that it doesn't matter. The more openly malicious you are the more votes you get from your deranged base. Then the bothsiders (like you, for example) ensure that the Republicans are never truly punished at the polls by "independents" (like you, for example).

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Trump has no pre-planned strategy about this stuff. He sought to undermine established leadership when it stood in the way of his own perceived immaculate goodness.

His cult of personality carved out a large segment of right-wingers the Republican party could not survive without. Thus they bent the knee every time when the choice was that or extinction, always thinking that there would a point they would draw the line and that Trump would undo himself. It never panned out and never would.

Note: as awful as Mitch & co. are, the alternative in rising to power in the party are the ilk of Marjorie Taylor Greene and Devin Nunes.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump has no pre-planned strategy about this stuff. He sought to undermine established leadership when it stood in the way of his own perceived immaculate goodness.

His cult of personality carved out a large segment of right-wingers the Republican party could not survive without. Thus they bent the knee every time when the choice was that or extinction, always thinking that there would a point they would draw the line and that Trump would undo himself. It never panned out and never would.

Note: as awful as Mitch & co. are, the alternative in rising to power in the party are the ilk of Marjorie Taylor Greene and Devin Nunes.

Agreed he has no long term plan. In fact, he has no thought of undermining the "establishment." He hardly knows what that is. He just means to destroy any individual who stands in his way of achieving personal glory and adulation.

Feb 4, 2009
Agreed he has no long term plan. In fact, he has no thought of undermining the "establishment." He hardly knows what that is. He just means to destroy any individual who stands in his way of achieving personal glory and adulation.

^^^^^This^^^^^

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

So which is worse, Mitch and Co with their we want to do good unless it means we cannot be elected or the Marjorie Taylor Greene who openly mock school shooting survivors? Democrats can at least negotiate with the two faced Mitch McConnell's. I personally want to see the Majorie's and other Trump sycophants take over and destroy the republican party. There is no other way to fix it at this point.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I personally want to see the Majorie's and other Trump sycophants take over and destroy the republican party. There is no other way to fix it at this point.

Careful what you wish for, because they're changing the rules so that they can establish permanent rule in the near future. There is no "destroying" the Republican party...in anything, they are becoming more galvanized by the day.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Ugh...that's like rooting for Sauron over Saruman. McConnell is as bad as Trump in a completely different way. He's just a typical politician who can play the game and play it well, pretending he's reasonable while being a completely hypocritical shithead. Trump simply doesn't care and says what he want.

End of the day they are both united against the true enemy, which is of course Democrats.

The only win is if they managed to kill each other off.

Feb 4, 2009
Gotta admit as much as I dislike Mitch and I as much as I dislike his policies, I do not think he is a traitor in the sense he will sell info to China or Russia for a few bucks or re-election help.
I want to be careful not to sound like a bothsides(er) I am sure he has taken some questionable money during his career like many do. I do not think Mitch is selling his influence to the highest bidder all the time.
Mitch is just too goal focused, he wants Judges and Congress and the Presidency. He focuses and tolerates so much bullshit to achieve this goal he hasn’t realized it probably isn’t in his best interest.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Gotta admit as much as I dislike Mitch and I as much as I dislike his policies, I do not think he is a traitor in the sense he will sell info to China or Russia for a few bucks or re-election help.
I want to be careful not to sound like a bothsides(er) I am sure he has taken some questionable money during his career like many do. I do not think Mitch is selling his influence to the highest bidder all the time.
Mitch is just too goal focused, he wants Judges and Congress and the Presidency. He focuses and tolerates so much bullshit to achieve this goal he hasn’t realized it probably isn’t in his best interest.
Sure seemed to like the sweet heart deals made with the wife's family business.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

This person was Obama. I still laugh that in an alternate universe Obama doesn't roast the ever living shit out Trump at that Correspondence Dinner and Trump never runs for President. In the end, they are right - Obama really did fuck over this country.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This person was Obama. I still laugh that in an alternate universe Obama doesn't roast the ever living shit out Trump at that Correspondence Dinner and Trump never runs for President. In the end, they are right - Obama really did fuck over this country.

That person is literally anyone in the world who has an unkind thing to say about him. Conversely, you could be farther to the left than Trotsky, and if you said nice things about him, he'd tweet "Oh yeah, I know that guy. Terrific guy! People are saying all kinds of wonderful things about him!"

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
To me it was always incredibly, disgustingly obvious that Donald thought he was using the GOP to get what he wanted and the GOP thought they were using Donald to get what they wanted and in a weird way they both kinda succeeded but they also failed horrifically and the entire nation suffered greatly so rich powerful men could marginally improve their profit margins for four lousy years.

But whatever, the real issue here is child sex trafficking in a pizzeria basement.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That the OP thinks trump had some magnificent plan to destroy the gop is laughable and quite frankly extremely ignorant of who trump is.

As others have already stated, trump has a personality disorder and all his actions can be viewed through that lens and only through that lens does Trump’s actions make sense.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Remember Steve Bannon saying he wanted to "deconstruct the legislative state"

Trump has begun that action. The rest of the crazies will follow through.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Remember Steve Bannon saying he wanted to "deconstruct the legislative state"

Trump has begun that action. The rest of the crazies will follow through.
Newt Gingrich started that deconstruction. Due to his efforts, lobbyists (being payed by major corporations) write a lot of the legislation in this country; particularly on taxes and regulations. Awesome, huh! It's just been a tick-tick-tick along the way towards freedom for those who can afford it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

-Th... Thanks Obama?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Im not sure who to root for… Turtle or Cheeto.
Getting rid of the Orange menace, yea, 100%… Leaves you with 88 yo mcbitch, but turtles like live forever.
On the other hand Trumpism is dying out on its own… Is it? Yea can it take down some more rats with the sinking ship plz?

Dont know dont know.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Just maybe Donald Trump wanted to take over one of the political parties ever since he was a child. Well that didn't make sense because we all know that Donald is a child. But lets say that Donald was determined to go after one of the political parties but then Donald realized that HE COULD NOT SUCCEED in aiming for the Democrat party because the democrats were too strong. Remember, Donald was once a democrat himself and aligned with all that goes along with being a democrat like pro-choice and etc etc.

Donald realized that the party ripe for a takeover was the republican party. Because like Trump, republicans pretend to have morals yet they have none, and republicans pretend to be fiscally conservative yet they are not, and republicans pretend to be concerned about the social issues yet they gladly cut social programs to the bone when they cannot kill off altogether. So it was an easy choice for Donald Trump, go after the republican party. And thus Trump did, and thus Trump easily succeeded just as he had expected.

So it was not exactly rocket science for someone to take over the republican establishment, all it took was someone who wanted to. And Donald Trump was that someone who wanted to. But remember.... Trump could have never tried this on the democrats. Even Donald Trump was smart enough to realize THAT.

Get the point??? Republicans are weak, ignorant, petty, lacking of morals, and out to screw the little guy. Democrats on the other hand actually care, actually try, and actually succeed because they do what Americans want i.e. affordable healthcare, affordable housing, decent waged jobs, consumer protections, clean air, clean water, affordable education, equality for all, and everything that democrats have given to America society despite republican obstruction after obstruction. Yeah.... Donald Trump knew which party were the pushovers.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Im not sure who to root for… Turtle or Cheeto.
Getting rid of the Orange menace, yea, 100%… Leaves you with 88 yo mcbitch, but turtles like live forever.
On the other hand Trumpism is dying out on its own… Is it? Yea can it take down some more rats with the sinking ship plz?

Dont know dont know.
Wow, he's 88! Dayum.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Too much credit is given to The Donald and not enough to all the nutter dark money donors and groups who enabled Donald’s rise through the primaries and continue to bankroll extremely divisive candidates in our post Citizens United era.

Reactions: hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Newt Gingrich started that deconstruction. Due to his efforts, lobbyists (being payed by major corporations) write a lot of the legislation in this country; particularly on taxes and regulations. Awesome, huh! It's just been a tick-tick-tick along the way towards freedom for those who can afford it.
Our SCOTUS is extremely pro business/banks also.