Donald Trump to make BIG announcement about Pres Obama!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
"The Humane Society will give Donald Trump $5 if he releases that thing on his head back into the woods."
from twitter.... LOL

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If that is all it is, it will backfire and probably help Obama a little. The only angle of it that could hurt is if the divorce papers Trump allegedly has include an allegation of adultery.

and not even that.

Remember when the Clintons made a big deal about Bill's tail-chasing prior to his presidency? Hell, it was part of the video at the DNC prior to his first major speech as a candidate!

:D

yeah, good luck with that one, Trump.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Not all charities are created equal. The Mormon Church, for example, which I'm pretty sure accounts for the bulk of Romney's charitable giving, doesn't strike me as a great cause, given the Church's stance on social issues such as abortion and gay marriage. That's important to consider. If he was donating all his money to educational initiatives or programs to find cures for diseases, hey, great. But his money goes to an organization that engages in political activity that runs exactly counter to my own beliefs. So his millions in charitable contributions don't really sway me his direction; you have to consider where the money actually goes.

In addition to PJabbers post, did you know the Mormons have something like 350 grocery stores that anyone can go to and shop for free? Everything from staples to meat and toiletries. You don't have to be a member or attend any sermons, just pickup a form once from a local bishop and you are good to go. All operated by volunteers and donations.

I am not religious at all, but feel the need to defend Mormons sometimes since those who I have known have been great people who don't just donate some money and right off taxes, they donate their time and sweat. I remember when a local LDS church, I think they are called wards at the local level, spent a weekend putting a new roof on a non members home along with carpeting after a storm trashed the house. Their was no way the single parent family could have afforded to fix it, no idea why insurance did not kick in, but this was years ago. Anyway, they just did it, no strings attached.

But hey, they wear magic underwear so that negates all the good they do the around the world, amirite? It would be so much better if they just thought like the typical ATP&N forum religious hater, just ask all the people they have helped if they care what the churches stance is on social issues once they have free food or a roof over their head.

Last edited:

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
In addition to PJabbers post, did you know the Mormons have something like 350 grocery stores that anyone can go to and shop for free? Everything from staples to meat and toiletries. You don't have to be a member or attend any sermons, just pickup a form once from a local bishop and you are good to go. All operated by volunteers and donations.

I am not religious at all, but feel the need to defend Mormons sometimes since those who I have known have been great people who don't just donate some money and right off taxes, they donate their time and sweat. I remember when a local LDS church, I think they are called wards at the local level, spent a weekend putting a new roof on a non members home along with carpeting after a storm trashed the house. Their was no way the single parent family could have afforded to fix it, no idea why insurance did not kick in, but this was years ago. Anyway, they just did it, no strings attached.

But hey, they wear magic underwear so that negates all the good they do the around the world, amirite? It would be so much better if they just thought like the typical ATP&N forum religious hater, just ask all the people they have helped if they care what the churches stance is on social issues once they have free food or a roof over their head.

I agree that Mormons by and large are great people and do great things. However I would hesitate touting giving to a purely religious organization as 'charity'. I give to my church (Presbyterian) and thankfully can deduct it on my taxes, though in my mind it's tithing, not charity.

If the primary beneficiary of Romney's giving was the Catholic Church (a much more analogous organization), I wonder what peoples take would be. The Catholic church does so much for local communities that gets ignored or forgotten by people.

Feb 10, 2000

I have known and worked with many Mormons, particularly when I was in the Air Force. With one lone exception (a terrible child molester I prosecuted), every Mormon I have ever met is someone I would consider an above-average person, in terms of their intelligence, decency, sense of humor, and all around integrity. I really can't fault Mormons as a whole in any way.

I do think the faith itself is kind of goofy, but I would make the same observation about every other religion - the major difference is that the Mormons are relying on a historical record which is much more recent, and thus more self-evidently false.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
In addition to PJabbers post, did you know the Mormons have something like 350 grocery stores that anyone can go to and shop for free? Everything from staples to meat and toiletries.

Link? The LDS is also a multi-billion dollar business owning many large corporations. What little good they actually do is undone by their overt bigotry, checkered past and missionary work. I can't stand it when some rich church goes into a third world country and offers them food and clothes with strings attached. That is not charity, that is coerced religious conversion.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Notice the only network that would give this creep air time to pimp his big announcment was Fox News.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Link? The LDS is also a multi-billion dollar business owning many large corporations. What little good they actually do is undone by their overt bigotry, checkered past and missionary work. I can't stand it when some rich church goes into a third world country and offers them food and clothes with strings attached. That is not charity, that is coerced religious conversion.

This subject was covered in detail on Rock Center with Brian Williams hour long show on the LDS church. They even went into one and one of the main warehouses that makes Costco look like a corner store.

As for some links, try this for locations: http://www.ldsemergencyresources.com/bishop-storehouse-locations/

Here is a link for the Brian Williams piece. You should watch the entire episode as I think you have a skewed and perhaps erroneous view of their church. They even interview a gay mormon that holds some position in the church! GASP! The Rock Center website sucks but I am sure they have a better video of it if you are that interested. Check about 30:00 mins in if you want to see what you are asking about. All of this stuff is no strings attached, not sure what you are talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGRtpUbKSNc

Finally, take a look at this web page and tell me again that there work is in anyway being undone by some perceived and erroneous complaint that you may have? http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/humanitarian-services/

Last edited:

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
What a disappointment. Trump's trolling skills are really taking a dive (although he still got a lot of attention, which I guess is all he ever really wants).

Jan 25, 2011
Bush and Kerry both released their college transcripts.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4684384

Fern

I assume you don't know the history behind how Bush's grades entered the public domain?

They were leaked to the New Yorker, not released by Bush.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/07/obamas-sealed-records/

George W. Bush’s grades at Yale eventually became public, but only because somebody leaked them to the New Yorker magazine. Bush himself refused to release them,*according to a 1999 profile in the Washington Post.

Kerry also refused to release his records during the campaign. They became public after he lost. Your link supports that.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
it will be fun watching Obama win the election. all these right wing hacks crying for the next four years. :) get all your rage out now so it won't be so bad.

Posted from Anandtech.com App for Android

he will likely win by a big margin and i would not doubt the republicans will try to impeach him for something stupid.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
How about if Obama responds:

I will gladly produce all requested records, and will use $2.5 million of the promised $5 million for the charity of my choice, but I'll do so ONLY if Mitt Romney releases the full details of the his last 10 years of tax returns by October 31, and Mitt can allocate the remaining $2.5 million to the charity of his choice.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I don't think Obama should respond with anything other than a dismissive "no". The President of the United States should not be trading insults and dares with the likes of a buffoon like Donald Trump. Trump can then go back to belittling desperate people and has-beens on his crappy reality show.

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
What are the details of Romney's tax plan? How about seeing 10 years of his tax returns?

Romney's tax returns are sitting underneath Obama's transcripts. Since Obama has the transcripts hidden, the tax returns are also hidden.

Blame Obama, he is keeping them both hidden.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

I will gladly produce all requested records, and will use $2.5 million of the promised $5 million for the charity of my choice, but I'll do so ONLY if Mitt Romney releases the full details of the his last 10 years of tax returns by October 31, and Mitt can allocate the remaining $2.5 million to the charity of his choice.

That would be awesome! Obama would squelch all those who currently defend him and say he is not an ass if he did that. I am all for it.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I don't think Obama should respond with anything other than a dismissive "no". The President of the United States should not be trading insults and dares with the likes of a buffoon like Donald Trump. Trump can then go back to belittling desperate people and has-beens on his crappy reality show.

This, Trump's behavior here is deplorable. It's an attention seeking stunt that Trump is trying to sell as altrustic and some how good for everyone involved. Trump comes across as out of touch and a bit needy here since he has no business in these matters. Anyone without such a gigantic ego would have learned sometime ago to butt out.

Media should have dismissed Trump as well, but they saw a grab bag so they took it. Saw Trump interviewed on CNN about this most recent stunt and it was absurd.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
While I expect the President will ignore Trump's offer altogether, it would be interesting if he were to say:

"Thank you for your generous offer, The Donald. Here are all of the records you requested, and please make your check payable to the American Cancer Society.

I agree that transparency is important, and hence Joe Biden and I have posted ten years of our tax returns on my campaign website. Accordingly, I will myself pledge to pay $1M (not sure the President could afford $5M) to a charity of Governor Romney's choice so long as he and his running mate post the same information to their own website by October 31."

These are damned near, verbatim, the exact thoughts that went through my head when I heard the "announcement." That said, Romney will never release his tax returns - as it is almost certainly bad for his campaign (if it weren't, he would have done it).

Sep 29, 2004
These are damned near, verbatim, the exact thoughts that went through my head when I heard the "announcement." That said, Romney will never release his tax returns - as it is almost certainly bad for his campaign (if it weren't, he would have done it).

Would love this. But someone at work had a better idea.

Obama should tell Trump that he will do so immediately after Romney releases his tax records for the past 10 years. And Romney can pick the charity. And if anyone out there wants to add to the pot, please do so. Make this really backfire on "those idiots"

I would love for someone like Buffett to come out and offer $1 billion to a charity of Romney's choice for his tax records. That would be hilarious. $5 million isn't much to a large charity (relatively speaking here) or to trump for that matter. now say billion and you could make someone sweat.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

That would be hilarious, and oh so appropriate. You are to be commended on such an excellent idea. Well played sir!

Obama is doing what previous Presidents have done, while Romney is essentially saying the accepted norm wrt to nominee tax info, a norm established by his own adored father no less, just does not apply to him. :colbert:

Love it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This, Trump's behavior here is deplorable. It's an attention seeking stunt that Trump is trying to sell as altrustic and some how good for everyone involved. Trump comes across as out of touch and a bit needy here since he has no business in these matters. Anyone without such a gigantic ego would have learned sometime ago to butt out.

Media should have dismissed Trump as well, but they saw a grab bag so they took it. Saw Trump interviewed on CNN about this most recent stunt and it was absurd.

Where have you been for the last few years. You just described how Trump operates on a normal basis. The press will not ignore him - he makes good press as seen by this thread alone. He is the man everyone loves to hate and therefor brings in money for the press.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It is interesting to see the loonie Returners rear their heads when one of the loonie Birthers is mentioned. I told you guys Returners and Birthers are closely related! :)

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
You know what would be awesome? If Obama actually obliged Trump's request and his transcripts were so good to the point that the righties will accuse him of cheating his way through college.