Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton Speak at Alfred Smith Dinner in New York City

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sontakke

Aug 8, 2001
Did Trump bring her wife so that he can do that joke? Is Hillary too cheap to pay for Bill's dinner? I was surprised that Bill was not there.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Did Trump bring her wife so that he can do that joke? Is Hillary too cheap to pay for Bill's dinner? I was surprised that Bill was not there.

Was a bit surprised Bill wasn't there myself, but Hillary probably figured Trump would accuse her of using him as a prop.

Made sense to me, she is running on her own merits.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Do all filthy, stinkin' rich people know each other? Why yes, yes they do.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Do all filthy, stinkin' rich people know each other? Why yes, yes they do.

I'd imagine that is a gimme.

Is how things work, to an extent.

It is what they do with the money, to a certain degree that matters, whether they are born into it or not.

Feb 4, 2009
It didn't go too well

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...t-roast/ar-AAjbbuT?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

After earning hearty laughs for many of his early jokes at the annual Al Smith dinner, Donald Trump appeared to lose the crowd as he crossed the line from jokes to deeply personal insults aimed at rival Hillary Clinton.

Trump was repeatedly booed when he described Clinton as corrupt and latched onto information contained in hacked emails from her staff. That included a hit on Clinton for "pretending" not to hate Catholics as she sits at a Catholic charity event

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, Trump even went over the top there.

People usually do not get booed at these type of affairs.

Trump just keeps digging a deeper hole.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Fun Fact: Donald was never invited to any of these, they didn't want him there. This was the only way he could ever get in.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999
Omg I loved this line from Hillary

"Now, you notice there is no teleprompter tonight, which is probably smart because maybe you saw Donald dismantle his prompter the other day. And I get that. They're hard to keep up with. And I'm sure it's harder when you're translating from the original Russian."

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You know....
These people, all of these people in politics really actually like each other a lot more than it would appear.
It is the nature of the beast to appear as mortal enemies, but frankly that are all American and all patriotic American.
The Obama's now hug the Bush's.
Bill and Hillary did go to the Trump's wedding, drank and toasted together, and I'm sure all had a very good time.
Senator Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani did actually work together for the good of New Yorkers and achieved many good things working side by side.

To the outsider, one would get the impression all of these politicians despise and hate each other and if given the chance would cut the others throat, or at least arrest and lock the other up.
But that is just not how it really is.

They really do like each other, outside of the world of publicity and politics.
You could even think of them as family to one another.
Something about this process does bring out the worst in people, at least it appears that way to us looking in. But down inside after the cameras are turned off and the speeches all end, they are all dear dear friends to one another.
Oh yes they truly are....

Something with politics brings out the worst in people.
And as bad as that might appear to be over here, it is much worse in other countries. Just look at the British Parliament.
They actually toss chairs, scream and shout, and throw punches.
So, as bad as it might appear to be here, it could be much worse.
But this hatred and the red faces are mostly all just for show.

People believe in what they see and hear, and we think WOW, Obama must really hate and despise George Bush. Then time goes by and we see Michelle Obama singing, dancing, hugging George Bush all hand in hand standing side by side, and people think WTF?
I thought these people all hated each other?

So it is simply the nature of the beast.
If Trump wins, he is not going to have Hillary locked up.
Sorry red necks.
And if Hillary wins, she could eventually hire the Trump and his corporation to do repairs on the Whitehouse. Or Hillary and Bill might show up golfing on one of those luxury Donald Trump golf courses, or show up spending the night in one of those luxury Trump high rise hotels.

So.... take all this politics hubbub with a grain of salt.
It's all just politics.
Presidents, all presidents past, present and future, can and will work together.
We see them on airplanes together, all big smiles, headed for some humanitarian world cause.
Or laughing together at some charitable fund raiser.
Even as bad as Richard Nixon was, tricky Richard stood right there side by side, hand in hand, with his political foes whenever asked and for whatever the good cause.

I guess the only real fools are us, we the schmucks that take all this so seriously.
If Hillary and Donald sat down together in a room, with no press, no camera, no mic's, people would be totally amazed at the love, respect, and admiration Donald and Hillary would show toward one another.
As well as the families.

After all, who knows better than the politician on how hard all this political stuff is?
The terrible toll it takes on the candidate and the family.
All the stress and sleepless nights just running around to earn a vote, raise some cash, and make the speech.
This is a club of sorts and they are the members,
Birds of a feather.
They and only they know the burden and the hard work involved.
And they do like, respect, admire, and yes even love their opponent despite how it might appear to the outsider.
To the voter trying to decide.
We are the true outsiders, they are not.
They have everything in common. The know the pain each one suffers on the campaign trail.

So when you see Trump going off on Hillary or Hillary calling Donald unqualified, or Trump calling Hillary "such a nasty woman", it's all with love, admiration, and in good fun.
Maybe we don't see that, but they sure feel that.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
You know....
These people, all of these people in politics really actually like each other a lot more than it would appear.
It is the nature of the beast to appear as mortal enemies, but frankly that are all American and all patriotic American.
The Obama's now hug the Bush's.
Bill and Hillary did go to the Trump's wedding, drank and toasted together, and I'm sure all had a very good time.
Senator Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani did actually work together for the good of New Yorkers and achieved many good things working side by side.

To the outsider, one would get the impression all of these politicians despise and hate each other and if given the chance would cut the others throat, or at least arrest and lock the other up.
But that is just not how it really is.

They really do like each other, outside of the world of publicity and politics.
You could even think of them as family to one another.
Something about this process does bring out the worst in people, at least it appears that way to us looking in. But down inside after the cameras are turned off and the speeches all end, they are all dear dear friends to one another.
Oh yes they truly are....

Something with politics brings out the worst in people.
And as bad as that might appear to be over here, it is much worse in other countries. Just look at the British Parliament.
They actually toss chairs, scream and shout, and throw punches.
So, as bad as it might appear to be here, it could be much worse.
But this hatred and the red faces are mostly all just for show.

People believe in what they see and hear, and we think WOW, Obama must really hate and despise George Bush. Then time goes by and we see Michelle Obama singing, dancing, hugging George Bush all hand in hand standing side by side, and people think WTF?
I thought these people all hated each other?

So it is simply the nature of the beast.
If Trump wins, he is not going to have Hillary locked up.
Sorry red necks.
And if Hillary wins, she could eventually hire the Trump and his corporation to do repairs on the Whitehouse. Or Hillary and Bill might show up golfing on one of those luxury Donald Trump golf courses, or show up spending the night in one of those luxury Trump high rise hotels.

So.... take all this politics hubbub with a grain of salt.
It's all just politics.
Presidents, all presidents past, present and future, can and will work together.
We see them on airplanes together, all big smiles, headed for some humanitarian world cause.
Or laughing together at some charitable fund raiser.
Even as bad as Richard Nixon was, tricky Richard stood right there side by side, hand in hand, with his political foes whenever asked and for whatever the good cause.

I guess the only real fools are us, we the schmucks that take all this so seriously.
If Hillary and Donald sat down together in a room, with no press, no camera, no mic's, people would be totally amazed at the love, respect, and admiration Donald and Hillary would show toward one another.
As well as their families.

After all, who knows better than the politician on how hard all this political stuff is?
The terrible toll it takes on the candidate and the family.
All the stress and sleepless nights just running around to earn a vote, raise some cash, and make the speech.
This is a club of sorts and they are the members,
Birds of a feather.
They and only they know the burden and the hard work involved.
And they do like, respect, admire, and yes even love their opponent despite how it might appear to the outsider.
To the voter trying to decide.
We are the true outsiders, they are not.
They have everything in common. The know the pain each one suffers on the campaign trail.

So when you see Trump going off on Hillary or Hillary calling Donald unqualified, or Trump calling Hillary "such a nasty woman", it's all with love, admiration, and in good fun.
Maybe we don't see that, but they sure feel that.
No, that might work for real politicians but Trump is not one. he does not have a gracious bone in his body. He never needed one.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I get the impression that Trump thinks this contest is like some reality TV show, some WWE and some of his Apprentice show all rolled up into what he views as something that goes on for a season and then everyone leaves the set and goes about their lives like nothing has changed. It's like he doesn't realize that this isn't some TV show where people say and do outrageous things for ratings, that this shit can (and probably will) destroy his 'brand'.

I really want to see how Trump tries to unwind this mess or if he intends to find some way to make money from it now that he's trashed his 'brand' and needs a new revenue source.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I get the impression that Trump thinks this contest is like some reality TV show, some WWE and some of his Apprentice show all rolled up into what he views as something that goes on for a season and then everyone leaves the set and goes about their lives like nothing has changed. It's like he doesn't realize that this isn't some TV show where people say and do outrageous things for ratings, that this shit can (and probably will) destroy his 'brand'.

I really want to see how Trump tries to unwind this mess or if he intends to find some way to make money from it now that he's trashed his 'brand' and needs a new revenue source.

Making money off of 14+ million trump fluffers doesn't seem like the hard part to me.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

TTV - Trump Television Network