Dominos (R) Pizza couldn't make it over in Italy...

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Compared to Domino's Pizza Hut is gourmet.... that crap is like cardboard with sauce and cheese. Not sure why they bothered even trying.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
As far as "fast food grade" pizza goes I don't mind Dominos but none of these chains will ever beat actual local places. I imagine there are a lot in Italy.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm spoiled living in New Haven far as pizza/Italian goes but there's plenty of "meh" chain places around here as well that manage to remain in business somehow.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Papa Johns are all pretty terrible anymore (at least in the SE region).

Reactions: Captante

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I dunno, maybe it's just all the Domino's i've been to but they have all been consistantly average , just like going to McDonalds. If i have to order a pizza from a chain, it will be Dominos over an of the other big 4 (PH/PJ/LC/Dominos)

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't like Dominos. I usually go for Little Caesar(cheap and fast), or PizzaHut(closer to me, and a bit better). I used to like PapaJohns, but last time I went, I was disappointed. Either they changed, or I did.

Jul 27, 2020
Compared to Domino's Pizza Hut is gourmet.... that crap is like cardboard with sauce and cheese. Not sure why they bothered even trying.
It's opposite here in the UAE. Pizza Hut makes softer dough that's easier to chew but yeah, the toppings aren't as good as Domino's. And, Domino double melt crust is just pure bliss. I like Papa John for their generous amount of toppings but it's too greasy. Papa Murphy is also kinda OK. I can't really remember the last time I had a pizza that made me go OMG!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's opposite here in the UAE. Pizza Hut makes softer dough that's easier to chew but yeah, the toppings aren't as good as Domino's. And, Domino double melt crust is just pure bliss. I like Papa John for their generous amount of toppings but it's too greasy.

Out of those 3 seriously underwhelming pizza choices I'd still have to go with Papa Johns despite how much they've downgraded the toppings however what I would most likely do instead is eat something else!

;)

(there are literally 100+ VASTLY better places to get a pie within 5 miles of me)

Jul 27, 2020
(there are literally 100+ VASTLY better places to get a pie within 5 miles of me)
All the other places in Abu Dhabi are expensive. Don't even wanna try and find out that I wasted money. Dubai has more options and variety but going there is a pain. I hate Dubai (lived there for 9 months). You really need a car to move around in Dubai and I don't drive (too many stray thoughts in my head to let me focus on the road (and potential victims of my carelessness) ahead of me.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The best pizza is the kind that has cheese on top and the topping under the cheese. In Italy they are heavy on the sauce and pizza crust with very little cheese and lots of olive oil.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
All the other places in Abu Dhabi are expensive. Don't even wanna try and find out that I wasted money. Dubai has more options and variety but going there is a pain. I hate Dubai (lived there for 9 months). You really need a car to move around in Dubai and I don't drive (too many stray thoughts in my head to let me focus on the road (and potential victims of my carelessness) ahead of me.
It doesn't come as a huge surprise that may not be the best spot to get a good pizza, LOL.
Do any of them sell pizza by the slice?

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The best pizza is the kind that has cheese on top and the topping under the cheese. In Italy they are heavy on the sauce and pizza crust with very little cheese and lots of olive oil.
It really depends, I've eaten pizza in Italy that wasn't like that.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
It really depends, I've eaten pizza in Italy that wasn't like that.
If you remember Boboli, they still sell that crust state side. That is the Italian way. They focus on the crust and sauce. The American way in real pizza shops in my opinion is heavy cheese on top and all the toppings under the cheese.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've eaten pizza in Italy with a thinner crust than Boboli too :p
I think that it's shockingly possible that you can get more than one kind of pizza in Italy... kinda like America!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The problem with putting meat toppings under cheese especially with fatty meats is that they tend to soak the crust and unless they've been pre-cooked (which really kills flavor) they don't properly brown/caramelize.

Veggies OTOH actually do better under the cheese because it helps keep them moist.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When I make my own pizza, I tend to split the difference and add toppings after the cheese, and then a little more cheese.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Pretty arrogant of them to think that was even remotely a good idea. An Italy-based burger joint in the US would have a better chance.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Italian pizza is very different from US pizza. I thought this was common knowledge?
Not really, I'm in Italy right now and haven't seen any pizza that isn't similar to places I've been to in the US. Way different than chains like dominos for sure but I've seen the same Italian style pizza in the US plenty of times, I was kind of disappointed here tbh.

Reactions: nakedfrog