Dominion Voting sues Fox, OAN and Newsmax for $1.6B each over 2020 election claims.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Will be an extremely interesting lawsuit from a legal issues aspect. Private party as the plaintiff so arguments of censorship, free speech and freedom of the press are pretty much irrelevant. Will be a scorched earth legal battle, with the appeals stretching out for years.

And Faux actually has real money to recover from it, unlike that dingbat.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
A successful lawsuit won't fully bankrupt Fox, alas, but it will cut into the company's bottom line in a big way if it doesn't land a sweet settlement. It lost just under $1 billion in 2020; any hope of a return to profit in 2021 would be dashed by this.

I don't know that Carlson, Hannity and crew would lose their jobs for this, but "you cost the company $1.6 billion" doesn't look good on your record.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How about some personal suits? Fucker? Hannity? Rupert?
Probably can't. Employer is generally responsible for employee.

Remember the truck driver who hit Tracy Morgan, killed someone and seriously injured him? Walmart was sued not the driver.

Reactions: cytg111

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
They can't even claim absence of malice (as the right-wing propaganda is claiming now) because they ADMITTED they had no evidence to report the wild claims against Dominion just as Powell admitted she believed no reasonable person would believe her claims.

It was performance theater to overthrow an election and the US government.

What is even more amazing is the dupes and rubes STILL BELIEVE IT.

Reactions: jman19 and hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009

Remember the truck driver who hit Tracy Morgan, killed someone and seriously injured him? Walmart was sued not the driver.

I’m gonna guess it wasn’t in the plaintiffs best interest. Wealthy guy suing a not wealthy guy for everything he owns doesn’t look good even in the Morgan accident sense.
He is an entertainer his public image has value.
However I am not a qualified legal expert and I could be wrong.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Don't think that conclusively demonstrates anything, as if you have a choice, why would you not sue the wealthy corporation rather than the probably asset-less employee?

Curious what Murdoch's attitude is to this whole affair. His self-interest and agenda doesn't entirely overlap with that of Fox's audience, or its presenters.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
They can't even claim absence of malice (as the right-wing propaganda is claiming now) because they ADMITTED they had no evidence to report the wild claims against Dominion just as Powell admitted she believed no reasonable person would believe her claims.

It was performance theater to overthrow an election and the US government.

What is even more amazing is the dupes and rubes STILL BELIEVE IT.

And the ones who know better are going along for the ride simply because extoling whatever it is that Trump claims credit for would be just another lie anyway. The whole publicity stunt that the Repubs see as Trump's effort to "drain the swamp" is one big lie followed by even bigger ones. And now with him being out of office it seems his lies have mysteriously lost that oomph, that certain je ne sais pas that his position as POTUS once gave him.

Every effort that his supporters make to prolong the lie that Trump is still president in order to somehow once again legitimize his lies are becoming less "believable" the longer he stays out of office.

Reactions: hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Don't think that conclusively demonstrates anything, as if you have a choice, why would you not sue the wealthy corporation rather than the probably asset-less employee?

Curious what Murdoch's attitude is to this whole affair. His self-interest and agenda doesn't entirely overlap with that of Fox's audience, or its presenters.

Probably doesn't matter which one you sue. Under various state labor codes, the employer must indemnify the employee if the conduct was in the course and scope of employment, meaning a judgment against the employee would be paid by the employer anyway.

Reactions: tweaker2

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I'm onboard with suing Hannity, Fucker and Rupert.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I’m gonna guess it wasn’t in the plaintiffs best interest. Wealthy guy suing a not wealthy guy for everything he owns doesn’t look good even in the Morgan accident sense.
He is an entertainer his public image has value.
However I am not a qualified legal expert and I could be wrong.

New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state, so that factor likely entered into it as well.

Dominion had previously sued Lindell, Powell and Giuliani. Now they have added Fox News.

Smartmatic has sued: Fox News, Maria Bartarimo, Lou Dobbs, Powell, Giuliani.

I seldom watch Fox news, mainly just see it on occasion when I visit my 74 year old mother (who is a militant Trump supporter and who believes everything Fox/Newsmax tells her like it was written by a burning bush on a mountainside somewhere).

I know several sitting Republi-con (to be distinguished from the very few remaining sane Republicans) House or Senate members regularly did interviews on Fox. Did any of them happen to defame Dominion or Smartmatic on Fox during their any of their interviews there? If so, that would be an interesting lawsuit for Dominion/Smartmatic to pursue.

Honestly, I'm still waiting on them to sue Trump directly - I know for a fact that he personally defamed them on Fox at least twice during interviews after the election because I heard him say the words myself while trying to ignore the turd. And if I managed to hear it twice (as little as I pay attention to Fox news) I'm sure he must have been doing it a lot at the time.

Reactions: pmv and hal2kilo

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Honestly, I'm still waiting on them to sue Trump directly - I know for a fact that he personally defamed them on Fox at least twice during interviews after the election because I heard him say the words myself while trying to ignore the turd. And if I managed to hear it twice (as little as I pay attention to Fox news) I'm sure he must have been doing it a lot at the time.

This article says that he avoided mentioning either company in those interviews.

Because he was advised not to mention them.

I am surprised the companies have not sued either Newsmax or OANN. A successful lawsuit against either could bankrupt them.

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oops! Looks like CNN going to get to see what ammunition the right has. Apparently, the suit claims that CNN claimed that the Flynn brother and wife were Qanon followers and showed some edited video that supposedly showed them taking an Qanon pledge. Don't usually follow CNN, but I know MSNBC and the other networks reported that Flynn (the pardoned), had Qanon sympathies.

Michael Flynn's family members file $75M lawsuit against CNN over QAnon video | Salon.com

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
And there is no basis for that suit. Their lawyer already lost big time with Nunes vs CNN suit. Same lawyer, different weak ass bullshit.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
And there is no basis for that suit. Their lawyer already lost big time with Nunes vs CNN suit. Same lawyer, different weak ass bullshit.
Dominion is claiming harm to ther business because of the lies. Evidence seem to bear out their claim