Domain renew help - used a free service 1yr ago

RigorousT

Jan 12, 2001
Okay I wasn't quite ready to settle down and do web design a year ago, putting off future ambitions of fame and glory for down the road....

I used one of those free domain registration services posted on the hot deals forum to register the domain name and put it off, content that I would work on it later. Well, I was all ready to start on my new project (it's a family surname domain if you're curious) when I realized the registration was set to end soon.

If anyone has experience in this area, I'd appreciate any input. Since it sets to expire today, how soon should I expect it available for renewal? I want to use a more reliable domain registrar so I'll be switching. Where should I go to ensure I renew this puppy?

I'm not panicking since it isn't too big a deal, but it does have some sentimental (yeah yeah..) value.

Here's internic whois info:

Domain Name: ().com [family surname]
Registrar: ENOM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.enom.com
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Name Server: DNS1.ENOM.COM
Name Server: DNS2.ENOM.COM
Name Server: DNS3.ENOM.COM
Name Server: DNS4.ENOM.COM
Updated Date: 25-sep-2000

The actual server has long since shut down I think, and I have been having trouble getting any information from these enom.com people. To make matters worse, the email address I used to sign up was a usa.net account which has since shut down its free web based email service so I got screwed there too.

What should I do? :)

Many thanks,

--RT

Maharaja

Apr 25, 2000
Well I'm slightly confused as to your situation, but I think that's cuz I'm really tired now. Regardless, I'm still gonna talk.
If you're looking for a new cheaper place to renew your domain, from personal experience I can tell you 123cheapdomains.com is pretty good. Hasn't given me any sorta problems and a year costs $14. A few days ago I received some spam for a site called GoDaddy that only charges $9 for a year.

Since you have the name already with Enom.com I think you can go to one of those sites I mentioned, transfer your domain to them and renew with them for the cheaper price. I imagine the websites will have better instructions so here are the links for you to check them out.

123cheapdomains.com
registrar.godaddy.com

RigorousT

Jan 12, 2001
Thanks for replying, Maharaja. Yeah, I've been reading faq's left and right, but it is a unique situation.

I never logged into my account with the free service -- just let it sit for a year.

I can't log into my account (if it even exists) with enom.com since I don't have my registration information (gone along with usa.net free email).

I don't know how I would "transfer" my domain since, even though a generaal whois shows my name as the registrant, it is through enom.com (3rd party?). Do they own rights to it? and what happens after the 25th when it sets to expire?

thanks for the links, I'll do some more reading, but I need to know specifically how the transfer process works and if I can transfer without having access to my current? enom.com service. (where I originally signed up for the free year must have been a division of enom.com or bought out by enom.com)..

Thanks again, --RT

RigorousT

Jan 12, 2001
New insight: The free domain register site was www.domainzero.com

I guess I'll read up on what they say. I can't log into domainzero since I don't have the password for the domain :( without being able to check my email.

Does this added tidbit give me any hope?

Maharaja

Apr 25, 2000
I was just reading through the transfer procedure at 123cheapdomains and since your domain is expiring today, you can't transfer it. That site says you cannot transfer a domain that has already expired or is about to expire in 10 days.
I guess the thing for you to do is to let it expire and then try to buy it again at another site.