Dolphin browser still not respecting privacy?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I was looking for another Android browser because text wrap on FF does not work. Not a big deal on widescreen displays but necessary on a small phone screen. Chrome text reflow isn't working as well.

Dolphin looked nice but had a privacy issue which was handled poorly in 2011.
http://www.cnet.com/news/dolphin-hd-browser-snared-in-security-breach/

Is todays Dolphins privacy policy out of the ordinary or still leaky?
http://dolphin.com/privacy/privacy-policy-for-dolphin-browser/
"MoboTap has and may from time to time partner with third party service providers (such as search result providers, advertising partners, etc.) ...... any information you include in a search query will be passed along to the applicable third party search result provider; such information may include Personal Information to the extent that you include any such information in your search query or otherwise provide such information to the third party service provider directly...."

"In addition, some Application features/services may send limited additional information to MoboTap including:

Search URL: This is Non-Personal Information. When you type URLs or queries in the address bar, the letters you type are sent to your default search engine, so that the search engine’s autocomplete/prediction feature can automatically recommend terms or URLs you may be looking for....."

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I couldn't find the free Naked Browser in the playstore/f-droid and looking through the review comments on the paid version, the author doesn't seem to want the free version around any more.

I previously tried out Lightning, Maxthon, Next browsers in a low end device to see if they could cope on a slow cpu tablet. Lightning was missing the forward button which made browsing difficult and it was sluggish compared to the other 2. Maybe it was because having a small footprint is a higher priority on Lightning (<1Mb install).

Edit- Tint looks ok and reasonably fast, I'll be keeping it.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I linked to the free version in the playstore. In the playstore's paid version page in the description the author even suggests trying the free version first before trying the paid version. He also links to the free version.

When I was following the development people kept asking for more features but the author said he would only do that in a paid version because he wanted to keep permissions minimal in the free version.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I think that the free app is not available in certain countries which is why its not showing up on my phone. Apparently the author disables the app when he get too many bad reviews and jacks up the price to ~$200 for good measure now and then. The apk is available on his website, but I'll pass on this capricious one man show.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1929663&page=166

Last edited: