Dollar coins - why they suck

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: dighn
I like coins. we even have $2 coins!

I've been to a couple countries where they have (insert currency name) coins, and I like them. You don't have to carry around a wallet because you don't have to worry about the coins getting in a crumpled torn up mess, and they're easier to pull out and slap down than paper. Not only that, if you ever go somewhere and can't remember if how much money you have, you just slip your hand into your pocket and can tell by the feel of the coins, thus saving you the embarassment (or potential mugging) of pulling out your entire wallet and thumbing through things. Of course in those countries they've had bills for the 20s and 50s etc, but for fives and below I really like coins.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Originally posted by: spidey07
"All I wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi, and you couldn't give it to me"
Points for the reference *hint* = tendencies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhYcb1eW1o

:cookie:

Did you know it or did you google? ;)

Weird! I just heard this song on SIRIUS for the first time today. I thought it sucked completely and found it really, really strange to find a reference to it on AT...:confused: Although, I was happy that I knew what song you were talking about. :p

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The dollar coin failed the first time. Why are they trying it again?
It just seems like a waste of time and money - the mint has to design the coins and make new dies to manufacture them, and companies need to design and build new equipment to accept the coins, not only for vending machines, but also for the retail industry, and banks, which need to count large amounts of money quickly. It just seems like economic masturbation in public - it may feel good for the organization that's doing it, the Mint in this case, but it doesn't get a whole lot done, and it's a disruption to everyone else.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7
The dollar coin failed the first time. Why are they trying it again?
It just seems like a waste of time and money - the mint has to design the coins and make new dies to manufacture them, and companies need to design and build new equipment to accept the coins, not only for vending machines, but also for the retail industry, and banks, which need to count large amounts of money quickly. It just seems like economic masturbation in public - it may feel good for the organization that's doing it, the Mint in this case, but it doesn't get a whole lot done, and it's a disruption to everyone else.

The less a dollar's worth over time, the less sense it makes to not use a coin. You think in 40 years when a dollar's worth nothing they're going to still make a bill for it?

DarkKnight69

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Originally posted by: dighn
I like coins. we even have $2 coins!
w00t

Silly american noobs, paper is for kids!

but seriously, the coins are soo much better then bills. Easier to carry, easier to give, easier to put in machines. I rarely have a loonie rejected, a fiver on the other hand, near takes an act of whatever god you believe in to make them go...

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The last few machines I used not only took dollar coins, but they also took credit cards.

There's another dollar coin coming out shortly, btw.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I think $1 coins are just retarded and will never take off. Who wants to carry around a pocket full of coins when you can just have the dollar bills folded neatly in your wallet.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Originally posted by: FoBoT
and outlaw the penny, i am an anti-pennyite

:thumbsup:

No joke, all they're good for is penny-jamming people.

Edit: BTW, the US would probably be without pennies already if it wasn't for Illinois, apparantly it's not good enough for them that Lincoln is on the $5.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: ADDAvenger
Originally posted by: FoBoT
and outlaw the penny, i am an anti-pennyite

:thumbsup:

No joke, all they're good for is penny-jamming people.

Edit: BTW, the US would probably be without pennies already if it wasn't for Illinois, apparantly it's not good enough for them that Lincoln is on the $5.

Well that, and keeping inflation down...