DOJ tells schools to implement race-based punishments

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Another round of insanity from our top attorney in the land, Mr. Eric Holder. He's been flying under the radar lately, but he is still flying, in fact he's soaring.

Experts slam DOJ letter telling schools to implement race-based punishments

Progressives are insane. They are off their meds and the have no intention of getting back on them. They scurry through the halls and tunnels of D.C. creating mayhem and havoc under the guise of "fairness". They will bring the nation to its knees but only if we continue to let them.

Education experts decried a new memo from the Departments of Justice and Education that instructs public schools throughout the country to cease punishing disruptive students if they fall into certain racial categories, such as black or Hispanic.

The letter, released on Wednesday, states that it is a violation of federal law for schools to punish certain races more than others, even if those punishments stem from completely neutral rules. For example, equal numbers of black students and white students should be punished for tardiness, even if black students are more often tardy than white students.
Hey, it's only fair in the eyes of progz.

“It’s ridiculous to assign quotas for discipline based on race,” she said. “If we did that, for one thing, we’d have to believe that Asian students are severely under-disciplined.”
“Kids of the favored race know they can get away with more, so they misbehave more, and the well-behaved kids lose out on instruction because the teacher is busy trying to manage unruly students she can’t send to the principal’s office,” said Pullmann.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life,liberty,and the pursuit of happiness." -Declaration of Independence.

Now..Why are there "hate-crime" laws?
Where has the liberty gone?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
As if southern schools need more reasons to write off black kids. Now they have an excuse to isolate them into classrooms which will be completely ignored and quickly degenerate into Lord of the Flies rules.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
“Schools also violate Federal law when they evenhandedly implement facially neutral policies and practices that, although not adopted with the intent to discriminate, nonetheless have an unjustified effect of discriminating against students on the basis of race.
:rolleyes:

If you treat every one equally and the results are not equal, perhaps one should look for the underlying causes and fix that first which have nothing to do with facially neutral policies and practices.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm guessing nobody here actually took the time to read the letter.

Conservative organizations once again showing their utter contempt for the intellect of conservatives.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Conservative organizations once again showing their utter contempt for the intellect of conservatives.

So I read it.

Two students commit an identical offense. One is a minority.

When is the school in trouble for disciplining?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003

spin spin spin.

how much is Obama paying you Carny for posting on the web?

Futhermore. Did you read the letter?

Its an awesome read

The administration of student discipline can result in unlawful discrimination based on race in two ways...
if a policy is neutral on its face – meaning that the policy itself does not mention race – and is administered in an evenhanded manner but has a disparate impact, i.e., a disproportionate and unjustified effect on students of a particular race

Examples of policies that can raise disparate impact concerns include policies that impose mandatory suspension, expulsion, or citation (e.g., ticketing or other fines or summonses) upon any student who commits a specified offense – such as being tardy to class, being in possession of a cellular phone, being found insubordinate, acting out, or not wearing the proper school uniform; corporal punishment policies that allow schools to paddle, spank, or otherwise physically punish students; and discipline policies that prevent youth returning from involvement in the justice system from reenrolling in school. Additionally, policies that impose out-of-school suspensions or expulsions for truancy also raise concerns because a school would likely have difficulty demonstrating that excluding a student from attending school in response to the students efforts to avoid school was necessary to meet an important educational goal

So we have a policy that targets no one, and the punishment is always applied the same, but because one race happens to be punished more often, its unlawful.

That's the kind of fucked up racist thinking you support.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So I read it.

Two students commit an identical offense. One is a minority.

When is the school in trouble for disciplining?

They aren't. If you read the entire section that the daily caller (completely unsurprisingly) failed to mention you would have your answer. It is explicitly spelled out.

What's interesting is that you guys are trying to freak out over policy that has been present in the US since the civil rights act of 1964. It took you nearly 50 years to care?

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
They aren't. If you read the entire section that the daily caller (completely unsurprisingly) failed to mention you would have your answer. It is explicitly spelled out.

What's interesting is that you guys are trying to freak out over policy that has been present in the US since the civil rights act of 1964. It took you nearly 50 years to care?

More Carny spin.

If it has been policy then why is the Obama admin spending time drafting these letters?

Did you read the letter?

If schools polices are well defined, and fairly implanted, but a race commits the crime more, then the race hustlers like Obama will investigate and punish the school.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
More Carny spin.

If it has been policy then why is the Obama admin spending time drafting these letters?

Did you read the letter?

If schools polices are well defined, and fairly implanted, but a race commits the crime more, then the race hustlers like Obama will investigate and punish the school.

Your attempts to spin here and ignore the legal history of disparate impacts isn't surprising.

Conservative media called the tune and you guys dance to it. They know you will just swallow whatever they feed you, which is why conservative media shows so little respect for its audience.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

Actually I asked you a question and you freaked out. I haven't and you have no idea what I make of all this. Not surprising.

I'll make it easier for you. There is a specific question regarding cell phones. Two students are using them in class. One is a minority and one is not. Both are identically disciplined. Instead of rambling on about liberals and conservatives, if that is even possible for you, is the school in trouble or not and why, and "they aren't" wasn't even a logical response to what I asked and neither was "go read it".

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

I read it. Basically to stay under the radar with the DOJ your bulk disciplinary actions better match the racial makeup of your schools. If you are even handedly and indiscriminate in your handing out of punishments, however a disproportionate percentage of the offences are being caused by one ethnic group, it's the school's fault.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I read it. Basically to stay under the radar with the DOJ your bulk disciplinary actions better match the racial makeup of your schools. If you are even handedly and indiscriminate in your handing out of punishments, however a disproportionate percentage of the offences are being caused by one ethnic group, it's the school's fault.

Nope. Go read the letter.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Actually I asked you a question and you freaked out. I haven't and you have no idea what I make of all this. Not surprising.

I'll make it easier for you. There is a specific question regarding cell phones. Two students are using them in class. One is a minority and one is not. Both are identically disciplined. Instead of rambling on about liberals and conservatives, if that is even possible for you, is the school in trouble or not and why, and "they aren't" wasn't even a logical response to what I asked and neither was "go read it".

Both were perfectly good responses. As to if the school is in trouble or not, go read the letter. It covers this explicitly in the section quoted by the daily caller.

Jan 25, 2011
Both were perfectly good responses. As to if the school is in trouble or not, go read the letter. It covers this explicitly in the section quoted by the daily caller.

I'd like to read it if you have a link. Haven't been able to find it here at work. THough some sites are blocked.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Your attempts to spin here and ignore the legal history of disparate impacts isn't surprising.

Conservative media called the tune and you guys dance to it. They know you will just swallow whatever they feed you, which is why conservative media shows so little respect for its audience.

I only read the letter.

Have you?

Obama tells you to spin and you jump into action.

Care to address the actual letter? Or are you going to continue attacking media you disagree with for reporting it?

I quoted a few parts of it. But since you must have not gotten your talking points yet you cant address them.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

So no, you won't participate, you'll just quote and deride. Well this is useless then.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I only read the letter.

Have you?

Obama tells you to spin and you jump into action.

Care to address the actual letter? Or are you going to continue attacking media you disagree with for reporting it?

I quoted a few parts of it. But since you must have not gotten your talking points yet you cant address them.

Uhmm, I've been directly addressing the contents of the letter. They are using the same standards for schools as has been present for US employers since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was signed. Do you object to this portion of the Civil Rights Act? If so, why? Do you think the Civil Rights Act should not apply to schools? If so, why?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So no, you won't participate, you'll just quote and deride. Well this is useless then.

I don't know what you would want me to say. Your question is explicitly (and far more comprehensively/better) answered by the document you said you read than I would be able to.

Jan 25, 2011
Ahhh... so then this is what eskimospy is referring to.

The Departments recognize that disparities in student discipline rates in a school or district may be caused by a range of factors. However, research suggests that the substantial racial disparities of the kind reflected in the CRDC data are not explained by more frequent or more serious misbehavior by students of color.7 Although statistical and quantitative data would not end an inquiry under Title IV or Title VI, significant and unexplained racial disparities in student discipline give rise to concerns that schools may be engaging in racial discrimination that violates the Federal civil rights laws. For instance, statistical evidence may indicate that groups of students have been subjected to different treatment or that a school policy or practice may have an adverse discriminatory impact. Indeed, t e De me s’ investigations, which consider quantitative data as part of a wide array of evidence, have revealed racial discrimination in the administration of student discipline. For example, in our investigations we have found cases where African-American students were disciplined more harshly and more frequently because of their race than similarly situated white students. In short, racial discrimination in school discipline is a real problem.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Uhmm, I've been directly addressing the contents of the letter. They are using the same standards for schools as has been present for US employers since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was signed. Do you object to this portion of the Civil Rights Act? If so, why? Do you think the Civil Rights Act should not apply to schools? If so, why?

“As best I can tell, they are telling schools that even if you have policies that are clearly neutral, that are clearly evenhanded, that are clearly designed to create safe environments for students and educators, DOJ still might come down on you like a ton of bricks,” Hess told TheDC.

That is why. It would seem that if you interpretation of the Civil Rights Act is true it is clearly a violation of the 14th Amendment of equal protection. As it is assigning special protections to certain groups.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ahhh... so then this is what eskimospy is referring to.

There's also this part on 'disparate impact', which is what people here have become OUTRAGED about.

In determining whether a facially neutral policy has an unlawful disparate impact on the basis of race, the Departments will engage in the following three-part inquiry

(1) Has the discipline policy resulted in an adverse impact on students of a particular race
as compared with students of other races? For example, depending on the facts of a
particular case, an adverse impact may include, but is not limited to, instances where
students of a particular race, as compared to students of other races, are
disproportionately: sanctioned at higher rates; disciplined for specific offenses;
subjected to longer sanctions or more severe penalties; removed from the regular
school setting to an alternative school setting; or excluded from one or more
educational programs or activities. If there were no adverse impact, then, under this
inquiry, the Departments would not find sufficient evidence to determine that the
school had engaged in discrimination. If there were an adverse impact, then:

(2) Is the discipline policy necessary to meet an important educational goal? In
conducting the second step of this inquiry, the Departments will consider both the
importance of the goal that the school articulates and the tightness of the fit between
the stated goal and the means employed to achieve it. If the policy is not necessary to
meet an important educational goal, then the Departments would find that the school
had engaged in discrimination. If the policy is necessary to meet an important
educational goal, then the Departments would ask:

(3) Are there comparably effective alternative policies or practices that would meet the
s l’s stated educational goal with less of a burden or adverse impact on the
disproportionately affected racial group, or is the school's proffered justification a pretext for discrimination? If the answer is yes to either question, then the Departments would find that the school had engaged in discrimination. If no, then the Departments would likely not find sufficient evidence to determine that the school had engaged in discrimination.

In short, it says that if a school has a policy that disproportionately impacts certain racial groups this policy requires that schools be doing so in order to meet their educational goals and if there is an important educational goal there that the disproportionate policy is the best way to achieve that goal. Sounds like common sense to me.