DOJ reverses decision on Roger Stone tough prison sentence after Trump anger tweets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump, Barr, Pompeo and others will continue with what they've been doing: draining the federal bureaucracy of civic-minded civil servants. You wanna work for Trump's CIA? Wanna work for Trump's FBI, DoJ, or DoD? Show them you want to be there. Show loyalty. And once you break that culture of public service and replace it with fealty, corruption, and quid pro quo, it's broken for a long time.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The judge will sentence to what she does. Trump doesn't have to justify anything he does as he can pardon without consequences. Those who were going to vote for him and those who weren't won't. The "swing voter" is another fiction.

Everything depends on Trump's mood.

That's not true. Trump couldn't have won w/o people who previously voted for Obama. What it comes down to is if enough people become thoroughly disgusted with Trump to vote him out. A pardon for Stone just nudges 'em in the right direction.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The judge will sentence to what she does. Trump doesn't have to justify anything he does as he can pardon without consequences. Those who were going to vote for him and those who weren't won't. The "swing voter" is another fiction.

Everything depends on Trump's mood.
And that’s why he’s attacking the judge. She’s going to go with the 7-9 years that is spelled out by DOJ sentencing guidelines that al the prosecutors were doing was following DOJ policy.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That's not true. Trump couldn't have won w/o people who previously voted for Obama. What it comes down to is if enough people become thoroughly disgusted with Trump to vote him out. A pardon for Stone just nudges 'em in the right direction.

What Trumpette has been converted? I don't know one. After the egregious acts of Trump has committed, pardoning Stone is going to swing the vote away? Heck, I bet there will be more cheers from them than jeers. Trump's approval is up and the difference between approval and disapproval is better than it was before the impeachment.

Perhaps you should look how much ground Trump has lost- none

RCP Trump approval

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I disagree, with a peak voter turnout of 65% its entirely possible a crapload of non-voters suddenly decided to vote for Obama.
And later its possible a crapload of voters turned into non-voters and vice-versa when Donald ran. There might not be that many people who change parties but vote all the time. We'll never know for sure because its illegal to keep track of specifically who votes.

I'm thinking its less an issue to get voters to change their tune, and more likely to encourage some people to not vote this year, and other people to start voting this year.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I disagree, with a peak voter turnout of 65% its entirely possible a crapload of non-voters suddenly decided to vote for Obama.
And later its possible a crapload of voters turned into non-voters and vice-versa when Donald ran. There might not be that many people who change parties but vote all the time. We'll never know for sure because its illegal to keep track of specifically who votes.

I'm thinking its less an issue to get voters to change their tune, and more likely to encourage some people to not vote this year, and other people to start voting this year.

You are absolutely wrong. Voting records of who votes are public records.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The research disputes your conclusion-

I think it's clear that the hard core Trumpsters will be out in force. OTOH, I don't think all the people who voted for him ever were that in the first place. I think turnout is key, so it's important for Dems to not wound each other seriously. We need to respect each other & the process, be prepared to come together behind the eventual nominee. Or we'll get more Trump.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If you look at the RCP averages Trump peaked when he was elected. He's been underwater ever since. A record for every modern day President. He has done nothing to expand his base of support.

There were no people who were going to vote for Trump who stayed home in 2016. However there were a lot of Hillary voters who did not turn out.

It's going to be a battle for turnout and mitigating Republican voter suppression.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
No witnesses, no crimes!!!! Trump didn't really mean it!! Unless Trump tweeted the judge to lessen the sentence it's not a crime!! So what if he did!! Get over it!! :D

Reactions: hal2kilo