DoJ limited scope of Mueller investigation to exclude Trump finances and history with Russia

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
For those wondering why Mueller never got around to investigating Trump's personal and financial ties to Russia, here's why:

Because Rosenstein limited the scope of Mueller's inquiry, a fact neither disclosed to the general public nor to the FBI, who thought Mueller was looking at Trump's finances.

Those who believe Rosenstein made his own, independent decision to do this are smoking crack.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But how many besides the AG and deputy change between administrations? I’d bet there’s a large majority of the career DOJ officials do date back to Obama and longer. So not like Biden needs to clean house. Just anything Barr laid his hands on.

Reactions: hal2kilo

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I wasn't saying biden's DoJ will be corrupt; I'm saying if he tries the "heal the country" schtick and cuts the criminals slack, we will irreparably damage our democracy.
I'm saying that I'm starting to think the irreparable damage has already happened. The Death Cult is in full gear. I don't see any scenario where this doesn't end badly for just about everyone.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I wasn't saying biden's DoJ will be corrupt; I'm saying if he tries the "heal the country" schtick and cuts the criminals slack, we will irreparably damage our democracy.

I agree but how do you do this without making it look like you are going after your political enemies? Trump has already destroyed multiple norms and anything that tries to right them will be declared a violation itself. How do you undo what’s already been done?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I agree but how do you do this without making it look like you are going after your political enemies? Trump has already destroyed multiple norms and anything that tries to right them will be declared a violation itself. How do you undo what’s already been done?

As we all know, even with Trump gone, his presence will lurk the halls of Congress and the White House for at least another two terms of his successors. It's much like a tornado that rips through a city taking only minutes to do its damage, yet taking months if not years to repair the chaos it caused.

Obama took years to fix what the Bush/Cheney cabal did economically, when these two business backed hooligans took a blind eye to what big business was doing to the economy and even then the effects of their favoring the business sector up to and including relaxing regulations that allowed corporate crooks to loot and scoot away with the nation's treasures were still being felt to the end of Obama's terms.

Along comes Trump to re-start that corporate raid on the Treasury and here we go, Making America Great Again for the wealthy, and only the wealthy.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Just tell the true story:

We already tried that with Nixon and the GOP. It failed, because that created Fox News (Roger Ailes explicitly created Fox News so that "Nixon could never happen again": ergo, Fox exists to create a population antagonistic to journalism, facts, and one that blindly worships based on cultish faith every word from the GOP), that then lead, inevitably, to Trump.

Trump can never happen again. The world can't survive it. The cancer must be lanced, and the lessons we failed to head after Nixon are exactly why the DOJ must give no quarter to the Trump family and all of their GOP enablers. Everyone in the Trump admin and everyone in the GOP that enabled this fascism must be investigated thoroughly and punished accordingly. It's the entire fucking purpose of The United States--accountability to leadership--and the more we continue to ignore this, the more we slide into irrelevance.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You pick the new AG carefully and then say DOJ will have independence. Let them go to town on Trump and all his cronies.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You pick the new AG carefully and then say DOJ will have independence. Let them go to town on Trump and all his cronies.

I really don't think it will matter who you pick and what you say to the Trump voters. Most of them will just accuse the elusive deep state of political witch hunt!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I really don't think it will matter who you pick and what you say to the Trump voters. Most of them will just accuse the elusive deep state of political witch hunt!
FUCK THEM!! The charges will stand on their own merit

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
FUCK THEM!! The charges will stand on their own merit

I'm not saying we should ignore criminal behavior because of the snowflakes, just that it won't matter who is picked or what people say. The RW in America lives in their own world of alt-facts

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What about giving the GAO the power to levy fines and charges? It would probably need a better way of being appointed though, maybe the two largest parties both get representation and run the agency together.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Fuck, let mueller have another bite at the apple. Don't narrow his scope and have a legit AG to back his play. Let the apples fall.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
But does Mueller want to continue the investigation? I bet Mueller liked Rosenstein tied his hands and DOJ policy not indicting a sitting president. He got enough evidence to punt to congress. He just didn’t think the senate would fail at doing its job.