DOJ busts dozens in massive college admission cheating scheme

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I don’t agree with her going to prison over this. Seems absurd and the government out to make an example out of someone. Big fine and some community service.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don’t agree with her going to prison over this. Seems absurd and the government out to make an example out of someone. Big fine and some community service.

Sounds like you tacitly buy in to the privilege of the wealthy and famous. Poor people go to jail when they commit crimes.

6-12 months makes sense to me here. It's enough to deter other rich people from similar conduct because for someone who lives a pampered life, doing a year is like a normal person doing 5. Loughlin is facing 40 years maximum so 12 months is hardly draconian.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Sounds like you tacitly buy in to the privilege of the wealthy and famous. Poor people go to jail when they commit crimes.

6-12 months makes sense to me here. It's enough to deter other rich people from similar conduct because for someone who lives a pampered life, doing a year is like a normal person doing 5. Loughlin is facing 40 years maximum so 12 months is hardly draconian.

Support your kid(s) go to jail. Fail to support your kid(s) go to jail.

Flip a coin.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Kindly explain the difference between bribery and child neglect.

I put my oldest through college, paying tuition, cost of books, and even renting her a shared off campus apartment.

If this happened 15 years ago, I would be facing the same charges.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Uhmm, why? Did you bribe any college officials?

Give a wheelbarrow full of money to get your name on a plaque over the new medical school. Lo and behold just by coincidence, your kid gets accepted as a pre-med.

Nope, no "bribery" there.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Give a wheelbarrow full of money to get your name on a plaque over the new medical school. Lo and behold just by coincidence, your kid gets accepted as a pre-med.

Nope, no "bribery" there.

I think that is absolutely bribery, it’s just bribery done intelligently as there’s no way to prove a quid pro quo, unlike in this case.

Doesn’t change the fact that you’re being ridiculous by claiming you would be in legal jeopardy for supporting your kid financially.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
There's not a person here that wouldn't do the same thing for their kid(s) if they had the money. Your children's future is the reason you bust your ass at work everyday. I don't begrudge those people one bit for wanting the best for their kids.

If I had access to a wheelbarrow full of money I would do the same damn thing.

Feb 4, 2009

Yeah I sort of agree, similar to Martha Stewart. Went after her hard for a minor & questionable violation that wouldn’t be applied to others.

Yeah sort of agree here too. Giving a fine to a super wealthy person is usually looked at as a cost of doing business. Start publically humiliating them and locking them up is likely a better prevention tool.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
There's not a person here that wouldn't do the same thing for their kid(s) if they had the money. Your children's future is the reason you bust your ass at work everyday. I don't begrudge those people one bit for wanting the best for their kids.

Some of us have ethics.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Hope your kid does great at community college.
Some people believe teaching ethics and honor are more important than how big a paycheck you bring home. You dis your kids by not allowing them to succeed on their own assuming they can't.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Some people believe teaching ethics and honor are more important than how big a paycheck you bring home. You dis your kids by not allowing them to succeed on their own assuming they can't.

They will sink or swim on their own.. The wheelbarrow just ensures they're in a good lake.

They can learn about honor when they hit OCS.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I would not bribe college officials to get my kid into a particular college because that's a felony. I would definitely want what's best for my kids but having their parents thrown in prison would probably not accomplish that.

Also why stop there? There are all sorts of crimes you could commit that, if successful, would materially improve the life of your children. Why not rob a bank? Why not commit some fraud? Think of all the money you're leaving on the table!

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
I would not bribe college officials to get my kid into a particular college because that's a felony. I would definitely want what's best for my kids but having their parents thrown in prison would probably not accomplish that.

Also why stop there? There are all sorts of crimes you could commit that, if successful, would materially improve the life of your children. Why not rob a bank? Why not commit some fraud? Think of all the money you're leaving on the table!

You already have a wheelbarrow full of money.

Greed kills.

Jan 25, 2011

This isn't just bribery though. They claimed their bribes as tax deductions. They laundered the money they used. Shit if they didn't take the extra steps to conceal and defraud they wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble as they are.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
BS. The only thing they learn is money is more important than anything else. Character can't be bought.

So, you're saying you would rather have an honorable graduate from Wally's School of Trucking, than a Harvard or Yale scholar.

Well, at least you have plenty of money saved for polish for your halo.

This isn't just bribery though. They claimed their bribes as tax deductions. They laundered the money they used. Shit if they didn't take the extra steps to conceal and defraud they wouldn't be in nearly as much trouble as they are.

It would have been better all around if they had just paid for their names on the plaques..

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, you're saying you would rather have an honorable graduate from Wally's School of Trucking, than a Harvard or Yale scholar.

It would have been better all around if they had just paid for their names on the plaques..

The evidence suggests that rich white people (such as the kids in this case) gain little from going to elite schools so it was probably a waste of money anyway.

Jan 25, 2011

Let's hear from one of those non Wally's students on their feelings about this.

"I don't know how much of school I'm going to attend," she said in a video posted to her YouTube channel, which has over 1.9 million subscribers. "I do want the experience of game days, partying, I don't really care about school, as you guys know."

So yeah. Give me a hundred Wally's every damn day of the week.