DOJ all of the sudden drops Andrew McCabe case. I see thru you Barr.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
lol!

the mueller probe turned a profit. This has been a known fact for over a year now. Why do you keep repeating the same lie?

If it works for trump why can an ordinary joe do it. Parroting propaganda seems effective.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Word has leaked that Trump is having quite the TT over this.

Somedays peanuts, some day shells. It's a peanut day.
I'm sure there will be some eruption over this. As I've said before, 3 years old's have more self control than Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

No matter what Barr does...........

In my opinion ( which everybody will poop on ) McCabe is as guilty as Stone.

Neither deserves 7-9 years in jail however.

I'll bet you can't even recite the narrative about McCabe. Barr's problem there was that his prosecutors kept quitting for some reason. And when they finally put it to a grand jury they couldn't get an indictment. It was sleazy revenge right from he start. I hope he gets his full pension reinstated & a few $M extra for Trump & his evil dwarf fucking with him.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Good. Flynn got screwed.

Diagnosis : Fox brain.
Prognosis : No hope.
Ironically pcgeek11 is actually one of the better arguments against democracy. Meh.

Michael Flynn sentencing delayed as judge tells ex-Trump official: ‘You sold your country out’

Sullivan, who also asked if Mueller had ever contemplated charging Flynn with “treason,” later suggested that Flynn might get a less severe sentence once he was actually done cooperating with investigators.

But yea DUDE, pcgeek11 in his infinite wisdom(!) tapped deep in the well of all knowing and deduced that ... Flynn got screwed over.

Good. Flynn got screwed.
That shit right there is the single most dumbest thing I have read on ATPN in february so far ... ill just add that taj and brando is in that pool too.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'll bet you can't even recite the narrative about McCabe. Barr's problem there was that his prosecutors kept quitting for some reason. And when they finally put it to a grand jury they couldn't get an indictment. It was sleazy revenge right from he start. I hope he gets his full pension reinstated & a few $M extra for Trump & his evil dwarf fucking with him.

Like he gives 0 fucks about the truth. Geek is a lost cause.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
It should be pretty difficult to think that McCabe deserves to be sent to prison but Flynn doesn't, or vice versa, given how analogous the cases are.

In my view, neither Flynn, nor McCabe, nor any regular person in a similar situation, should find themselves looking at jail time. The US federal system's >93% conviction rate isn't something to be proud of, and "lying to the government" in an ideal world, if it existed at all, would be narrowly constrained with a significant burden of proof for the prosecution to show malicious intent.

Obligatory:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It should be pretty difficult to think that McCabe deserves to be sent to prison but Flynn doesn't, or vice versa, given how analogous the cases are.

In my view, neither Flynn, nor McCabe, nor any regular person in a similar situation, should find themselves looking at jail time. The US federal system's >93% conviction rate isn't something to be proud of, and "lying to the government" in an ideal world, if it existed at all, would be narrowly constrained with a significant burden of proof for the prosecution to show malicious intent.

Obligatory:

So in short Bothsides.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
So in short Bothsides.

In short, the criminal justice system sucks for everyone.

I think the difference you are looking for is treason.

I see that as hyperbolic in this case, but that's the entire problematic element right there. If you can charge someone of X, charge them with X. The "lying to the government" stuff means that the state doesn't actually need to prove the underlying crime. Flynn was never charged with treason, he was charged with lying. Same thing that McCabe did. To say that "Well, Flynn is a traitor and McCabe isn't, so it's OK in the first case but not the second" is exactly the sort of ends-justify-the-means thinking that has corrupted the criminal justice system.

And even for apolitical cases, if they can get Martha Stewart with the same strategy, what chance do you or I have? We hear about the high profile cases involving famous people, but it's the regular folks and especially the disadvantaged who are disproportionately hurt by a criminal justice system that is structurally rigged against defendants.

Last edited:

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
What planet do you live on? Sucks for rich and well connected people?

Reading comprehension. Here, try it again:

And even for apolitical cases, if they can get Martha Stewart with the same strategy, what chance do you or I have? We hear about the high profile cases involving famous people, but it's the regular folks and especially the disadvantaged who are disproportionately hurt by a criminal justice system that is structurally rigged against defendants.

Just because the system is especially oppressive of the poor doesn't mean that isn't also unfair to rich people who find themselves on the wrong end of it. Emphasis here is on the federal criminal system.

Connections really depends who you're connected to. Bush or Clinton, and you're probably safe (it's depressing no one in the intelligence community went to prison over the Iraq war WMD thing). Trump connections? So far that hasn't been working out too well for those individuals.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Reading comprehension. Here, try it again:

Just because the system is especially oppressive of the poor doesn't mean that isn't also unfair to rich people who find themselves on the wrong end of it. Emphasis here is on the federal criminal system.

Connections really depends who you're connected to. Bush or Clinton, and you're probably safe (it's depressing no one in the intelligence community went to prison over the Iraq war WMD thing). Trump connections? So far that hasn't been working out too well for those individuals.

... lol.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

I see that as hyperbolic in this case, but that's the entire problematic element right there. If you can charge someone of X, charge them with X. The "lying to the government" stuff means that the state doesn't actually need to prove the underlying crime. Flynn was never charged with treason, he was charged with lying. Same thing that McCabe did. To say that "Well, Flynn is a traitor and McCabe isn't, so it's OK in the first case but not the second" is exactly the sort of ends-justify-the-means thinking that has corrupted the criminal justice system.

Flynn confessed and spilled the beans. Beans out of the bag dont go back into the bag. I dont understand how you can equal that with mccabe.....???????

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Flynn confessed and spilled the beans. Beans out of the bag dont go back into the bag. I dont understand how you can equal that with mccabe.....???????
Eeeeeh I regret confessing and spilling the beans....... Mulligan? Can I has pardon plz?
Its rotten to the core... and anyone trying to soften that is putting them selves on the side of wrong. IMO.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

The sweetheart deal was to just include lying and look past any other charges on him or his son. What he did was little t and could easily be argued capital T if the federal statute was amended for cyberwar.

The US federal system's >93% conviction rate isn't something to be proud of

It's completely irrelevant. You might as well just say since conviction isn't 100%, nobody should ever be charged with anything.

, and "lying to the government" in an ideal world, if it existed at all, would be narrowly constrained with a significant burden of proof for the prosecution to show malicious intent.

Of course he lied, and he's trying to take back all the beans spilled, which in a non-corrupt DOJ should lead to all charges possible.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
It was probably more about protecting his son, and treason would be enough of a stretch they'd just go for false statements. But I was wrong in that he wasn't ever actually indicted.

A conviction rate that is too high or too low is a sign of structural imbalance. Extremely high conviction rates are a sign that the process is tilted in favour of the prosecution, and is often associated with totalitarian regimes. You might need to explain your 100% conviction rate argument, because I've looked over it a few times and it still doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

We at least have a small intersection of agreement: Regardless of anything else, you can't eat your cake and have it too. Either take back the confession and have your day in court, or live by it.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

the criminal justice system really sucks for the poor and unconnected, as for the wealthy and connected, no so much.

while we are progressing, we are still far from equality.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Because they want to avoid talking about how Trump, Sessions & Barr set out to fuck McCabe for political reasons. I mean, the guy had the nerve to open an investigation into Trump after Trump admitted to firing Comey over the Russia thing. Imagine that. And he opened an investigation into Sessions lying to Congress at their request. So the guy who volunteered a lie to the Senate fires McCabe over supposedly lying to internal FBI queries on the basis of supposed evidence we've never seen, 2 days before his retirement. Then they go further, threatening to prosecute him with a case so weak they can't get a grand jury to indict which is usually a mere formality in the federal system. But it's not purely political. Huh-uhh.

I mean, what kind of chickenshit power freak wouldn't just let the guy retire & be done with it long ago? The Trump kind.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You are entitled to your opinions.... Just as I am.

The Mueller probe was a waste of time and money. Mueller appeared to be an blathering idiot as he presented the case before congress. It was like he never read it himself.
The Mueller probe cost the government very little. Compared to Trump breaking all presidential records for vacations and golfing in <3 yrs virtually nothing spent You are wrong again.

Costs 32M

Paul Manafort fines almost 25M

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Did someone seriously just say that lying to the government shouldn’t be a crime?

Were these same people ardent defenders of Clinton during his impeachment?

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Last night, Rachel Maddow had a pretty good summary of the McCabe case and why exactly DOJ declined to prosecute this week. Basically, the Judge had reamed the prosecutors for having no case, and the prosecutors themselves offered no defense for why they hadn’t presented a case to the grand jury yet. There was no case, and they were up against a court deadline to present charges or else have the judge’s admonitions released via FOIA.

She also mentioned every single case where Barr has intervened thus far, all for the benefit of Trump or his cronies charged via the Mueller investigation. She also noted that there are cases not yet public where Barr has intervened.

https://youtu.be/idj9CtxQHw4

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Last night, Rachel Maddow had a pretty good summary of the McCabe case and why exactly DOJ declined to prosecute this week. Basically, the Judge had reamed the prosecutors for having no case, and the prosecutors themselves offered no defense for why they hadn’t presented a case to the grand jury yet. There was no case, and they were up against a court deadline to present charges or else have the judge’s admonitions released via FOIA.

She also mentioned every single case where Barr has intervened thus far, all for the benefit of Trump or his cronies charged via the Mueller investigation. She also noted that there are cases not yet public where Barr has intervened.

https://youtu.be/idj9CtxQHw4

We had a good run as a federal presidential constitutional republic. I am sure things will be equally great as a banana republic.

MAGA!