Dog Missing for 5 Days

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I never thought I'd have to post a dog thread, but my family's dog has been missing for 5 days now (since Sunday night). We live in the upper midwest, so it's been 30s during the day and 20s, even teens, during the night, so it doesn't look good. We've done the standard checking with animal control, shelters, vets, DoT, etc. to no avail.

We had to have a dog put to sleep when I was kid, but losing a dog and not knowing if it's dead or alive is a lot worse.

Has anyone ever lost a dog and had it come back days later in that kind of weather? Or heard of it happening?

Edit: Just got a phone call from my mom (I'm at college)...A guy that lives ~15 blocks away just brought our dog back. He found her at his door last night barking at his husky through the door, meaning she was wandering around in COLD weather (30s during the day, teens at night) for over 5 days.

I'm both glad and very surprised that she's alright. She was covered in crap (figuratively and literally) and seemed tired/scared, but I'm sure she'll be fine after a trip to the vet and the groomer. Thank god people still read the classifieds in print newspapers.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Ours has gotten out a few times, but she has always managed to wander back within a few hours.

It sucks :(

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Playmaker
I never thought I'd have to post a dog thread, but my family's dog has been missing for 5 days now (since Sunday night). We live in the upper midwest, so it's been 30s during the day and 20s, even teens, during the night, so it doesn't look good. We've done the standard checking with animal control, shelters, vets, DoT, etc. to no avail.

We had to have a dog put to sleep when I was kid, but losing a dog and not knowing if it's dead or alive is a lot worse.

Has anyone ever lost a dog and had it come back days later in that kind of weather? Or heard of it happening?
how old is your dog?

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
dogs are tough and resourceful, so i doubt he froze to death.

good luck finding him. hope he comes home.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Playmaker

Yep, when I was a kid I saw my dog get hit while chasing a car. She limped off into the woods at the end of our street and disappeared, I spent the next two days organizing search parties with the other kids in the hood to no avail. Two weeks later I walked out the door to go to the school bus, and there she was sitting on the front porch:confused:

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Years ago, we had a cat return after being missing for 3 months, and on Christmas day, to make it even more weird.

Good luck in finding your dog. It's always hard to lose a pet.

Jun 19, 2004
Why not post a pic of your dog here. You never know how many AT lurkers might be in your area. Every little bit helps right.

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
Yes. It does happen, but more often than not, sadly, it does not. Does he have tags?

That's the bad part. The tag with our phone number, address, etc. fell off and hadn't been replaced yet. Talk about bad timing.

She still has the rabies vaccination tag with our vet's info on it, though. So hopefully someone would contact the vet. However, she's very protective and I doubt a stranger could get to her tag.

She's a 9 y/o wire fox terrier. I don't have a picture handy, but she looks like this or this only without the classic grooming and a longer coat.

It's weird because when she has gotten off her leash before, she has never left the yard in the winter and always comes back to the door. In the summer she'll try and roam, but not in the winter. If it was a month later I wouldn't worry about the weather, but I still have my fingers crossed.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
I just saw a dog today wondering around the side of the Parkway.. I hope he is ok.

Was he wondering about the meaning of life, or perhaps just where the nearest fire hydrant was?

insename2

Dec 15, 2005
i used to have a dog that would disappear then come back... longest it was ever missing was 24 hrs... beyond that she never returned...

at five days i would prepare for a loss; dogs usually come back within a couple of hours unless someone/something is preventing it's return.

best of luck to ya, hopefully your dog will return unlike mine...