Doesn't it hurt like a bitch when....

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
your parents indirectly point out that they don't think you're going anywhere in life? Especially when your older siblings are so well off and you're busting your ass to make up for the past. Sigh I know I should prove them wrong but when your family thinks of you that way, you just feel like falling off the face of the Earth. :(

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000
Sorry man.

I'm just superglad my parents don't have any expectations for my siblings and I.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
you know what hurts?
cramps.
try that sucka.

just find what you like and stick with it.

*kat. <-- owwiee owwie owwie

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
1) Alberta is not in the US

2) Yes, it sucks...but if you do sort yourself out it won't be long before everybody starts looking at you in a better light again. Its really worth doing.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
I recently found out what I really want to do and am trying to pursue it. They never gave me any motivation and I got over that. But now it's like they're kicking me when I'm already down. They basically took away any self motivation I have scrapped up in the past few years and threw it in the gutter. So what am I left with? Sh!t.

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
I was left alone at home with nobody giving me any motivation too. you've got to pick yourself up and move on. If they say you can't do it, show them you can. If they think you can't take care of yourself. Prove them wrong. It's hard but it's worth a try. Like I said earlier on, they won't notice the change in a night of two. It takes time!

Scrapster

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2000
Ho,

This is your revenge. Become as successful as possible and then quit talking to them.

fir3wir3

Banned
Oct 15, 2000
hey man I know where you're coming from

3 years ago...when I was just barely getting straight c's in HS (I never saw much point since I knew I would either go to a CC or no College) my mom always used to hound me about &quot;you're not even going to pass hs&quot; anytime I talked about what I was planning on doing.

It was the worst at family get togethers when an aunt or uncle would ask what I wanted to do after hs and my mom would always butt in &quot;Well you need to get better grades than c's&quot; etc.

3 years later I make more in a day (depending on sales) than she does in a week...so she doesnt have much to say about it anymore.

snow patrol

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2000
Yes. I know what you're talking about. My mother has this talk with me about once a month and it's annoying as hell.

Can't wait to move out.

Hoeboy

Banned
Apr 20, 2000
no i'm not going to give my parents the one finger salute or get successful and laugh at them. i love them and they're getting pretty old and fragile. i don't know if i'll ever get the chance to show them i'm just as good as my brother and sister.

lupin

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
yes it hurts.

but it doesn't matter, what you're in the future all depends on yourself.

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
yeap... I have it frequently pointed out to me that I'm a failure and should try harder, &quot;YOu aren't working to your potential&quot;, yeah, u're right... it's called laziness... the gene I inherited from you.

airfoil

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
Hoeboy,

They're YOUR parents and do whatever it is they do coz they want you to be the best. Why dont people try to understand their parents point of view, instead of suggesting a 'One finger salute'???

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
My parents were never the nicest people around and they made sure I knew that. I would never do or say anything harmful to my parents because they have been there to support me when I was &quot;in trouble.&quot; You will always need your parents if not financially, then emotionally.

frogger

Dec 14, 2000
Hoeboy

Welcome to the club!

My sis married into money and I am a loser since I don't have &quot;money&quot;!

BarbeQueGuy

Jan 23, 2001
Hoeboy,

I feel your pain man!

I am number six out of eight siblings, and for years had to live up to the successes of five older brothers. It wasn't bad enough that I heard it at home, but also from the teachers at school that taught them in previous years.
It took me a long time to realize that I am not like my older siblings, therefore I don't have to live up to those expectations. Once I learned to be myself, I became better at achieving MY goals. Success is measured in how well you live YOUR life, not how you live up to others expectations.

You have the right attitude; you love your parents. They weren't given an instruction manual when you were born, I'm sure they did the best that they could. You may not have enough time to show them your successes, but if you take confidence in yourself and follow you OWN dream, you may just gain their respect. They may just respect you for being the best &quot;Hoeboy&quot; that you can be rather than trying to be clones of your brother and sister. Why would you want to be as good as them, maybe you are better?

Trying to become successful to prove someone else wrong is not the best motivation. The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
ah tell me about it. I got two cousins, they're both married now by age 26 and 30 respectively, have two kids each, and one is a doctor and another works with humanitairy work here and there....both came out with awesome grades from highschool and the university, and here I am, with average grade outta high school doing nothing because I found uni boring as well. mom keeps telling me when she's mad, that I'll never become anything in life, although I don't take it seriously really.

theplanb

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Low expectation = High satisfaction
I've been getting too much expectations ..and I've been trying hard to prove them wrong.. and I think my parents have given up on me now.
It's now time for making some plan to give myself a chance and make me happy.