does your vote really count? some clarification plez.

iceliquid

Banned
Jun 29, 2000
Ok, I didn't really pay that much attention in poly sci class so plez don't flame me... but a friend of mine informed that the candidates are viaing for electrol votes and those are the ones that really count, not our individual votes. Some clarification please...

1) Is this correct?

2) Who elects the electrol people?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
No offense (or flame intended), but where the hell did you go to school? I went in a little ass-backwards community in Washington, a town of 8,000 people, and we learned all about the Electoral College in 5th grade.

And for actual information:
READ

Hope this helps. :p

Rob

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Does our vote really count? Well, look at it this way: Right now, the margin that exists in Florida works out to about ONE vote out of every 3400. You tell me.

Russ, NCNE

iceliquid

Banned
Jun 29, 2000
konichiwa,
Thanks for clarify #1 for me. And thx to Entity, I found the answer to #2, which is the "In Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution, the method of selecting electors is delegated to the separate state legislatures."

Entity,
Was pondering the meaning of life when my teacher(s) were giving me answers to questions that I felt irrelevant until one answers the fundamental question(s).
Analogy: You build the foundation before you build the house. Seriously, I spent most of my younger youth pondering that question. Don't ask if I've come up with the answer yet :)

Thanks for the link, it was exactly what I was looking for!

SackOfAllTrades,
One should listen to anyone who has a different view than yourself. And as the article that Entity pointed out, seems like my friend is right.

Russ,
Quoting from the same article mentioned above,

"Should a candidate receive a minority of the popular vote nationally but carry a sufficient number of states to ensure a majority of the electoral votes, the candidate would be elected, and the will of the majority would be frustrated through the legal and normal operation of the electoral college. Critics point to the dispute caused by the election of 1876 and also to the election of 1888, in which Grover Cleveland, the defeated candidate, polled 5,540,050 popular votes to 5,444,337 for Benjamin Harrison; however, Cleveland received only 168 electoral votes to Harrison's 233."

So it seems like the most impact one could offer is selecting their senators and representatives that are sent to the U.S Congress, who hold the responsibility to choose the electoral college for one's state.

Moral of the story? Choose your representatives carefully :) Thanks all! I just racked up 1 week of high school poly sci in 30 minutes. BTW, I've already build my foundation and working on the house. Thanks again all, especially Entity, constructive criticism followed with real information, a rarity it seems these days :p