Does your neighborhood have a HOA?

Do you belong to a HOA?

• I live in an apartment, do not own a house, etc.

• Yes, I like it

• Yes, I dislike it

• No, I refuse to

• No, I want to

• Meh

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I have lived in an apartment since moving out a few years ago. I grew up in a subdivision with a HOA, my father was an officer.

I have noticed a good bit of hate towards them here. If good people are in charge of them, they can help maintain the property values in the neighborhood and prevent things like cheap portable buildings from being placed in yards and lawn neglect from occurring.

If / when I do ever buy a house, I hope to move into a neighborhood with a solid HOA, preferably with security and a gate to prevent riffraff at night.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Nope. It's great. I was able to build a nice 6' privacy fence around my backyard for my dogs. I put in an outdoor kennel for them. Built a nice shed to keep my lawn tools in. Was able to construct a veggie garden in the front of my house.

Hell, I even have a fire pit in my back yard.

It's nice to live in an older neighborhood where there are actually decent lot sizes, mature landscaping, and a variety of different house styles.

Not sure why you would ever want to live in one of these new neighborhoods where they pack you in like sardines, force a HOA on you, and make 400 identical houses.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yes, and they suck balls. They do very little for us and make our neighborhood annoying to live in.

And if all the new construction I see these days is any indication, prefab neighborhoods with strict HOA's are the way of the future.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
No and I would never buy a house in one (currently renting a house in a non-HOA neighborhood).

On the other hand I might get a condo instead and those are all run by HOAs. But that's different.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Historic commission. House is just old, in the wrong place. Threatened to lock me up over my picket fence(per the other thread), 30days/$400 per day, if I didn't get a permit. Puds.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Yes. I wouldn't say I really like it, but I don't mind it.

The restrictions are very reasonable, almost to the point that we don't need the HOA (and the $100/yr fee).

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Nope.

I planted a leyland cypress tree in my yard several years back, and all my neighbors complain about it being too big.

Eff those effers. That is all.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Nope. It's great. I was able to build a nice 6' privacy fence around my backyard for my dogs. I put in an outdoor kennel for them. Built a nice shed to keep my lawn tools in. Was able to construct a veggie garden in the front of my house.

Hell, I even have a fire pit in my back yard.

It's nice to live in an older neighborhood where there are actually decent lot sizes, mature landscaping, and a variety of different house styles.

Not sure why you would ever want to live in one of these new neighborhoods where they pack you in like sardines, force a HOA on you, and make 400 identical houses.

This.

Our HOA was established in 1939, when people didn't stick their noses that far up other people's asses. They mostly deal with maintenance - street maintenance, maintenance of the stone entry, snow removal, etc. Beyond that, you might hear from them if you did something SUPER tacky, like park a car in your yard (though that'd probably be handled by the city anyway).

Beyond that, it's just an excuse for a couple street parties every year.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The lot I bought was part of a subdivsion that had covenents that you must agree to build. They were size and style restrictions on the home and a few things about what you could and couldn't do on the property (no outbuildings, farm animals, ect). But there is no formal HOA neighborhood nannys, dues required or real enforcement of anything.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
no. gated communities aren't really a common thing in my area (unless you want to count condo complexes as such); there just isn't enough room for it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Our house is part of a planned community and we have an HOA. I've lived in my home for 11 years now and never had any issues with the HOA telling me what I can or cannot do.

They keep the landscaping looking nice and there are well maintained tot lots and parks throughout the community. Trees are growing big now as the community is almost 20 years old so it looks nice and established.

I have no complaints.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
The lot I bought was part of a subdivsion that had covenents that you must agree to build. They were size and style restrictions on the home and a few things about what you could and couldn't do on the property (no outbuildings, farm animals, ect). But there is no formal HOA neighborhood nannys, dues required or real enforcement of anything.

HOAs would be one way to keep people from razing existing homes to build something like this next to you:

BLECH on the left.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Looks better than that hideous Tudor style home nest to it :D.

Yeah I don't really see the issue with the house on the left. It's not like it's a bright pink trailer or something. Looks like a nice stone/brick house to me. It even looks like it's nicely landscaped.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
HOAs would be one way to keep people from razing existing homes to build something like this next to you:

BLECH on the left.

Actually that wouldn't have been prevented in my neighborhood. Style probably wasn't the right term. The only real "style" requirments we had was that you needed to have at least 15% brick or stone showing on the front of the house. If you had a fireplace with an external chimney/chase it has to be brick or stone. Also, if you had a block foundation it needed to split face if any elevation of the block was showing.

But outside of those you could really do any style you want, which we have in our neighborhood. Of course the lots are all 1-2 acres in size so no one is really stacked up on each other.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
i'd say that's the nicest house on the block. The only thing missing from it is a front lawn

No accounting for taste, I guess. It's a McMansion on a lot half the size it should be on.

The tudor next door is ~60 years old and is built to last another 100+. That place is new construction; the brick is facade and has fallen off twice.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The place we live in now doesn't. Hopefully, the next place will.