Does your city do this too late at night? Seems like it's to curb street racing but I dunno

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
I'm talking about them setting traffic lights to flash red (as if it's a four-way stop) and blocking off all but one lane with cones at each light. I don't know why they do it, but it seems like it's to stop street racing. This is out in the suburbs. Even back in the city where I lived a month ago, they did this on certain boulevards.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
in the city i went to college in they did it to all the downtown lights.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i see that here, in MI, but i never thought about it stopping street racing. makes some sense. i always thought it was just because the traffic was so light at night.f

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
I saw this where I grew up and in Berkeley now. I have no idea if it has anything to do with street racing or not. Probably to minimize wait time, so nobody has to wait 3 minutes at a red light when there are no other cars.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Yes, they do it on Sunrise (in Sacramento), on weekends only. It's entirely to limit street racing and cruising. It's also illegal to make U turns after 11:00PM on that street. (I think it's 11:00, I forget the exact time) for the same reason.

I think it's pretty stupid.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Yes, they do it on Sunrise (in Sacramento), on weekends only. It's entirely to limit street racing and cruising. It's also illegal to make U turns after 11:00PM on that street. (I think it's 11:00, I forget the exact time) for the same reason.

what do U-Turns have to do w/ street racing?

ddwbi0

Jun 22, 2002
cuz they usually want to go back for another run...or get away from the cops that popped out in front of them

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
I know more than a few lights that turn to flashing reds or yellows (depending on which is the heavier trafficked road) as well... but never cones to block off the extra lanes. That just seems like a giant hassle.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
They pay some clown to put cones down each night? Bah.

Free cones at least if you want to do something illegal besides race on the streets.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: iamme

I bolded a portion of his post to help ya out. :p

Rob

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

cruising... they just back and forth the same place just driving around with no destination. some neighborhoods can't stand it... probably because of those coffee can exhausts... those cones are for stoplight races probably... knowing how they're all over the place after midnight.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
oh. thanks for the info.

but, how do people turn around then?

well i don't think there's going to be cop watching that street the whole night... besides those people cruising usually travel as a group... so you can imagine they attract a lot of attention with their wheezing exhaust and soundsystems for deaf people. i don't think a family sedan making a u-turn would attract as much attention. :)

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: BoYRaCeR
oh. thanks for the info.

but, how do people turn around then?

well i don't think there's going to be cop watching that street the whole night... besides those people cruising usually travel as a group... so you can imagine they attract a lot of attention with their wheezing exhaust and soundsystems for deaf people. i don't think a family sedan making a u-turn would attract as much attention. :)

ah, i assumed they blocked off the U-turns :p