Does your Car have a Personality? A Gender? A Nickname?

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2003
Overall findings, demographics and details from the AP-AOL Autos poll on how people feel personally about their cars. The poll was conducted by Ipsos, an international polling firm:

OVERALL: Over six in 10, 62 percent, said they can tell something about someone's personality from the kind of car he or she drives. Slightly over one-third, 37 percent, said they have ever thought of their car having a personality of its own. Of the 30 percent who said they think of their car as either being male or female, more than three times as many people said they think of their car as female rather than male _ 23 percent to 7 percent.

GENDER DIFFERENCES: Women, 26 percent, were more likely than men, 16 percent, to have nicknames for their cars. Unmarried women, 30 percent, were more likely than men or married women to give their cars nicknames. Nearly four in five, 78 percent, said they enjoy driving, while 20 percent consider it more of a bother. Women were more likely than men to think of their cars as female _ 27 percent to 19 percent. Almost half of women, 44 percent, said they have thought their car had a personality of its own, compared with 30 percent of men. Over half, 55 percent, of single women said they have thought their car had a personality of its own, compared with 36 percent of married women and 33 percent of single men.

ENJOY DRIVING: Young adults, 88 percent, and seniors, 83 percent, were more likely than those 30-39, 68 percent, to say they enjoy driving. White men, 81 percent, were more likely than white women, 74 percent, to say they enjoy driving. Those with a high school education or less were more likely to say they enjoy driving, 83 percent, than those with college degrees, 73 percent. Women college grads, 66 percent, were less likely than other groups to say they enjoy driving. People who make less than $25,000, 86 percent, were more likely than those who make more than $75,000, 75 percent, to say they enjoy driving.

CARS AND PERSONALITY: Nearly three-fourths, 73 percent, of those in their 40s felt you could tell at least something about a car owner's personality from the kind of car he or she owns. Seven in ten of those making $75,000 or more said one can tell something about a person's personality from the kind of car he or she drives; of those making less than $25,000, 57 percent felt that way. Slightly over one-third, 37 percent, said they have ever thought their car had a personality of its own. Those with a high school diploma or less were more likely to have thought that than those with a college degree, 41 percent to 31 percent. Those making less than $50,000 a year were more likely than those making $75,000 or more a year to have thought their car had a personality of its own _ 45 percent to 30 percent.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070115/UPDATE/701150394

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
no name no gender . its pretty lame when assign genders (usually fem) to their inanimate posessions

L

Lola

used to have a name anf "personality" when we had unique vehicles. now... it would be silly to name my leased liberty.

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: LS20
no name no gender . its pretty lame when assign genders (usually fem) to their inanimate posessions

ever hear of countries or ships?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope.
Its a tool to me. Nothing more.

I dont form emotional bonds with my screwdriver or toaster either.
It does what I want for years at a time and when it breaks, I toss it out and get a new one.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE. I love the car and the way it drives, but I don't think of it as a living, breathing "thing". I don't think I've ever referred to it as "him" or "her", nor do I think it defines my personality in any such way.

I just enjoy driving it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Cars, like boats and ships, are always referred to as female. It's tradition. I've named every car I've owned (probably because I grew up knowing that it's considered very bad luck to have a boat/ship without a name).

As for personality, if given long enough, anything mechanical will develop a "personality". My Mustang does not have a personality, it's simply too new. My 951, on the other hand, has enough quirks that it can be said to have a personality. A car having a "personality" is not the same as it having a will of its own.

I think that the article missed an obvious connection to the "Do you enjoy driving" question however. The age demographics that supposedly enjoy driving the least are also the age demographics that are most likely to be commuting every day through rush-hour traffic. The same is true regarding income levels.

ZV

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
You need two polls, not one. I voted for one option (my gender, car's gender) but my car also has a name and I wasn't able to vote for that.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
Well it's a 2001 model, dirty, white, and has hubcaps and a crow bar in the back.
So I call it Tonya Harding.