Does wearing spandex make a huge difference in mtn biking?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I wear spandex shorts for the padding and the unfettered ability to move around on the seat.

I wear the shirts so that I have the pockets in the small of my back.

note: exclusive MTB & CXer

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know about mountain biking, apparently they're much slower? For road biking, there's a huge aerodynamic advantage to having spandex on, over a baggy t-shirt.

Not so much for mtb. Road bikes have minimal rolling resistance and higher top speeds so aerodynamics plays a large roll. Mountain biking has far greater rolling resistance and lower top speeds plus it is typically over much more rugged terrain.

Aerodynamic efficiency simply doesn't matter as much on a mountain bike.

I have mtb shorts and shirts and I've ridden road bikes for my entire life so I have the kit for those as well. For road riding I love my bib shorts and I have worn them on the mtb but I also have a pair of mtb shorts that are well padded. Basically, they're a pair of roadie shorts with a cargo short over it. I'm not sure why there is a stigma to road cycling clothing. It really is the most comfortable for long periods of riding.

Last edited: